Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE STORYLAND 2 Promos

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Vote for Zombie Bashers. :)
    ^ Deathstarkiller is one of the Zombies in Ep4 of Zombie Bashers :D
    attachment.php?attachmentid=109614&stc=1&d=1270216293

I'll be keeping my eye on you :P

So it's down to the final now. Been a great showing from all makers and they should be proud,. Fair play to the organisers for making the comp happen.

My vote is going for Zombie Bashers, really enjoyed it, think the two lads are gas :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

should we talk about a boards.ie entry for the next series?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Loriharton

Thanks Mickey, much appreciated!! :) Great pic there with zombie and "Scissors"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mrjoeyblogs

Hi everyone... this is my first time posting here but not my first time reading everyones comments. It is near the end of Storyland 2 and I thought I would just post a couple of my opinions.
    Ok well I have been watching Storyland from the beginning (of series one) and I'm pretty disappointed in the standard in this years final. Hardy Bucks, and even Rental Boys were superior.
    Film makers in Ireland need to stop this mock-umentary rubbish, its an excuse to either shoot poor quality footage or to have 'awkward-silence, pause, look to camera looking bewildered' moments. That's not wit... its just sh**.
    Zombie Bashers was my favorite, I genuinely loved the first 3 episodes, I laughed out loud a lot and really thought it showed signs of being a GREAT television show but it has turned into drivel. The main character Cathal is hilarious, but this does not make up for the terrible quality of the writing, and the production on the last two episodes. I think they aimed far too high and have fallen quite badly because of it. The visual fx in the first couple of eps were pretty good, what happened? Didn't the director have a big write up in Film Ireland last month about special fx's, did some little youtuber kid write in, win a competition and get to do the effects for the last two episodes? Really what happened there? Maybe it was the edits or the sound but something didn't flow right. Mariana had the same budget right? It always looked pretty slick. Bashers also did not need to be mock-umentary (because it certainly wasn't shot like one) and the story has suffered greatly from it. Why is the camera crew there when they are essentially killing, (the wasted) Eddie Durkin from hardy bucks, surely that might incriminate the bad guys, no?
    We Own The Streets has been appalling from the get-go following a parkour runner who isn't very good at it, i.e. a normal bloke, who isn't particularly funny. Maybe it just goes over my head but I've watched every episode and not laughed once. Great satires of sporting/professional characters all featured people who are/were good in their field eg Blades of Glory, or Zoolander. XL is not very good at free running, he is not in training for anything in particular nor is he in a fall from grace scenario and needs to build himself back up. I have no idea why the camera crew are following this man, and I don't know what the audience is meant to route for from episode to episode. It would be like if a camera crew followed me going jogging because I like jogging, that would be pretty boring (and I laugh at my own jokes all the time!). Oh but wait XL fancies a girl.... and he plays the sax... oh and there's that guy from Kila...
    (shrugs, looks to camera looking bewildered). I blame social networking for the success of that bad boy.
    As far as the other entrants go, Butchers started off quite good but turned weak in ep 3, and Daily Strife was unmentionable, and Marina despite looking nice, started very slow, had those annoy pieces to camera and only showed real signs of a bigger plot in its last episode which was too late.
    I hate being negative I really do and that's why I don't post anywhere usually but I just feel that Storyland is a great opportunity for film makers that has been wasted this year. Us as modern audiences are used to seeing brilliantly written US and British television shows, this is what these guys are up against. I've seen youtube films made for no money that look as professional as anything coming from big budget Hollywood, with 8 grand per ep surely they can do better?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Neo Researcher

I think We Own The Streets did go over your head. I read in an interview that the director got the idea from seeing lads trying free running in Dublin. I find it funny as a satire of people you see trying free running and previously skateboarding all around Irish cities unsuccessfully. And I say this as a crap skateboarder myself! I also know loads of people who would have got decks in secondary school and progressed onto protools in college so I find the main character really funny. I was going to say maybe its just me and the people I grew up with that make it funny for me, but I have sent links of it to friends in India who love it and want to make an Indian version, so that does not make sense.
    "great satires of sporting/professional characters all featured people who are/were good in their field eg Blades of Glory, or Zoolander." Start off with the three stooges and work you way from there, there are loads of examples to the contrary.
    I agree with the Hardy Bucks character being wasted but when he was announced they went from an undeserved almost elimination to top of the poll so it was a brilliant move to boost their exposure and get the votes they deserved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I find it funny as a satire of people you see trying free running and previously skateboarding all around Irish cities unsuccessfully. And I say this as a crap skateboarder myself! I also know loads of people who would have got decks in secondary school and progressed onto protools in college so I find the main character really funny.

Not a bad starting point for a comedy piece but they went nowhere interesting with it. I didn't find anything decent to laugh at in We Own The Streets. The main character was weak and pretty poorly drawn I thought. Main character from Zombie Bashers had far more appeal and was played much better by the actor.

He's sh*t at free-running. He's sh*t at music. He's a chancer. I was bored before the end of the first episode.

As far as satire went that was it. He's sh*t at doing stuff but thinks he's great. Barely funny enough for a 5 minute short unless it's developed. And (unless the last episode was spectacular - I didn't watch it) they didn't do anything much in that department.

In one episode XL doesn't get his way so he storms off. Not particularly funny but apparently the writers thought it was funny enough to have him do the exact same thing later on in the same episode. Lazy.

The main character didn't have any appeal at all. In the world of the story why were they even making a doc on him.

I agree completely with mrjoeyblogs on the point that it's a strong presence on social networks that put this through because I cannot for the life of me see it being the quality of the show. I thought even Mariana was better (and I hated Mariana)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    should we talk about a boards.ie entry for the next series?

I believe we should. I've got sound kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 jaydeluxe

As far as the other entrants go, Butchers started off quite good but turned weak in ep 3

I'm a co-writer/co-director on BUTCHERS and am genuinely interested in what you liked about the first two episodes that went missing in the third?

Advertisement