Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'The Rules', and how to break them..

• 02-11-2009 11:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭

I hate the term 'rules' (prefer 'conventions' meself...) but since there's been a bit of discussion 'round these here parts on rules and why they need to (and should!) be broken, I thought it might be good to show our favourite images where breaking them just works. Lest we get bogged down in golden means and filling the frame...

Mine is this one from 1951 by Irving Penn:

d4696334x.jpg

I guess I'm just about to contradict everything I said about Baz's photo and the shirt being the point of focus, but I love how the sleeve dominates in this - the image (as far as I know) is called 'big sleeve'. And it cuts her eyes! Can you imagine if one of us posted this what flack it would get for that! :D But to me it's just perfection in fashion photography. The way the big bright shape of the sleeve balances with the round blackness of the hat. It's almost abstract, and one of the reasons I'm finding myself more and more drawn to... <gasp> fashion photography </gasp>

Anyone else?

Edit: I didn't know Penn died last month :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Heh. This reminds me a bit of that infamous thread on one of those 'win or lose' flickr groups where someone posted a HCB picture. It was duly lambasted on high for blurriness, grain (someone suggesting that the poster go a bit 'lighter on the grain effect in future'), bad composition, you name it. Then there was a big reveal from the OP. The discussion went downhill from there. It was a wonderful trainwreck of a thread :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

on first inspection i was about to say what a wondefull image Sinead - I see nothing wrong with it - perfection - it highlighights everything correctly to my tired eyes - but i do believe you need to learn the rules before you can start breaking them - im dyslexic and other learning difficulties - so i find the technical aspects so hard to learn - just have to go on instinct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

I think this is the gem you're referring to Daire:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrerabelo/70458366

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Yep, I remember that one :D And this one posted by Noah (I miss Noah..) way back: http://theonlinephotographer.blogspot.com/2006/06/great-photographers-on-internet.html

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i find the whole rules thing goes two ways. theres the tech whores, who demand all is by the rules or its a pile of poo, then the art whores who go mad a shoot like they stick the camera behind them a shoot without looking, and sometimes get great shots. Both camps can get great and sh1te shots... discussing this... merely shows us which camp folk are in hehe.

• Advertisement

KarmaGarda wrote: »
    I think this is the gem you're referring to Daire:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrerabelo/70458366

In fairness- i also remember agreeing that a great photo is not *every* photo taken by a great photographer... whether it breaks the rules or not. Just because its a HCB, it doesn't make it art..

fight... :D

sineadw wrote: »
    In fairness- i also remember agreeing that a great photo is not *every* photo taken by a great photographer... whether it breaks the rules or not. Just because its a HCB, it doesn't make it art..

fight... :D

NEVER! :mad:

NEVER! :mad:
    Ever?

Ever?

Only on sundays when I wear my pink dress and go by the name of bubblegum lips.

I'm awesome at staying on topic.

Only on sundays when I wear my pink dress and go by the name of bubblegum lips.

now THAT'S what i call breaking rules! :D

Ah but... does no-one else have a favourite but me?

• Advertisement

I don't have a favourite so to speak, but I do have another example:

It's from a guy on flickr called Brian Schulman:

2533682224_e40525b0d4.jpg

To state the obvious it's overexposed, centrally composed, but it's still one of my flickr favourites. Very clever photograph

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Ah but... does no-one else have a favourite but me?

you oof buzz , Faye gots it too I discovered

4065900959_8e4860f4a1.jpg

cheek barely in focus but i like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

ah yeah!
    thats what's great about photography - you can create a crappy looking photograph and imply you ment to have it that way :D;):p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

ha haaa

:)

Fionn wrote: »
    ah yeah!
    thats what's great about photography - you can create a crappy looking photograph and imply you ment to have it that way :D;):p
    Fionn wrote: »
    ha haaa

:)

ammm.... :confused:

Advertisement