Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BING bong - strange results

• 02-11-2009 11:43pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

I track my google placing for 'web design waterford' and generally am #2, so happy with that. Decided to try it on Bing and accidently found myself on bing.co.uk (via virtual earth). Entered search term and came out #1.
    Tried again on bing.com and I was #3. Tried bing.ie and was #4. Then modified search to 'only from ireland' option. Disappeared off the page, but my tagline on a client site was there at #10.

Seems like bing haven't got their country-versions sorted out. Anyone any similar results?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭D.W

conolan wrote: »
    I track my google placing for 'web design waterford' and generally am #2, so happy with that. Decided to try it on Bing and accidently found myself on bing.co.uk (via virtual earth). Entered search term and came out #1.
    Tried again on bing.com and I was #3. Tried bing.ie and was #4. Then modified search to 'only from ireland' option. Disappeared off the page, but my tagline on a client site was there at #10.

Seems like bing haven't got their country-versions sorted out. Anyone any similar results?

Just a stab in the dark but is your site hosted outside of Ireland? Google often omit sites in their Pages from Ireland Search not hosted in Ireland-so possibly Bing is doing similar?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭conolan

It is actually, UK. But it is .ie and has clear Irish content. But I guess Bing is still learning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭D.W

conolan wrote: »
    It is actually, UK. But it is .ie and has clear Irish content. But I guess Bing is still learning.
    Does it show on Google Pages from Ireland? Its not the content I don't think but where its hosted-my two cents worth. Wouldn't worry a bit about Bing pages from Ireland anyway as very minor in the grander scale of things...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭HandWS LTD

ok.....you are using the language meta tag:
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Language" content="en-gb">

Note the gb at the end. Its connecting you to the UK. This is how Bing works. Now change your code which will connect you to a country:
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Language" content="en-ie">

There are other ways to do it but that is one of them. And wait for the next crawl update of that page. This can take a while with Bing. Up to 4 months if you haven't updated it recently. Also, note that Bing are still in BETA mode. This means it's still under construction.

Advertisement