Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is my CPU running too hot

• 02-11-2009 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭

Hi all

just downloaded a program called real temp. and its showing my 4 cores between 85-100C. Its an Intel i5 750.

From what I understand this is too hot.

I installed it correctly and used the thermal paste.

Any Ideas on this..............??

Thanks
    J

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭sherdydan

ya cant always trust programs like real temp. i find you'd be best off to simply run the machine for a while then check the temp in the BIOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭johnc24

It has been "sleeping" all day, I have used it the last 45 mins or so, just surfing and things like that, nothing intensive.

CPU temp 76C
    Sys temp 31C
    FAN RPM 990 RPM over the CPU

is that the information the BIOS is giving you?

It is Yes from the BIOS

are you using the stock cooler? have you overclocked the CPU?

• Advertisement

I am using a Scythe Heatsink - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/173868

No My processer is not overclocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,216 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

how much thermal paste did you use?

whatever that was in the little sachet. It was only a small amount

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,216 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You're really only meant a Pea-size amount and have it applied very smoothly across the whole surface. A small mustard sachet-worth would have overdone it.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/274/1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

johnc24 wrote: »
    just downloaded a program called real temp. and its showing my 4 cores between 85-100C.

Typically the CPU halts when it gets too hot to protect itself.
    I'd worry if it hit 70c.
    So if your PC is not hanging then I'd be skeptical of the real temp program.
    Motherboard monitor is another application which shows your PC's temperature.

All these programs rely on being able to accurately detect your motherboard.
    If you were given a choice on installation on what CPU/motherboard you had, and you choose the wrong one you could get false readings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

That CPU is certainly running a little bit toasty !

The first steps to check are:

Have you adequate airflow through the case, typically air drawn in at the front and side of the PC, and expelled via the top and back of the case. Are there any large groups of cables blocking any of the fans and are they all connected and drawing/pushing air in the right directions?

Is the heatsink securely attached, when you put your hand on it can you wiggle it about when using a small amount of force? Are you using push or pull on the fan on your heatsink, and is the air being pushed out the back/top of the case or back into it.

As Overheal mentioned above, the amount of thermal paste you use is only a tiny amount(Ranging in size form a grain of rice to a very small pea), using too much or too little is almost as bad as not using any at all. Also, when you spread it over the IHS is it covering the whole thing?

Hi all

Sorry I was away for a few days. Anyway this is the deal.

Yes my Cooler was loose. I disconnected it and as of this moment the CPU is in position however, the thermal paste is covering the "silver plate" if you like, but it has expanded onto the cpu gold "dots" a little, on the top of the processer, not the underside.

How can / should I clean this? Then should I clean off all the old thermal paste, get some new paste and apply a new pea sized amount and try re insert the cooler properly. Note one of the clips I cant get to click no matter how hard I try. Also it is very hard to apply pressure with everything almost built..
    i know in my heart I will prob have to take it all apart but the thought is not nice....

Please advise as soon folks..

As always thanks to all contributers!!!

Rgds
    John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Get some Isopropyl (99%,I think) rubbing alcohol

I see your in Dublin though,Peats sell ArtiClean which is designed for taking old thermal paste off.I'd go with that

Deano12345 wrote: »
    Get some Isopropyl (99%,I think) rubbing alcohol

I see your in Dublin though,Peats sell ArtiClean which is designed for taking old thermal paste off.I'd go with that

Hi Deano

You mean I should get the rubbing alcohol to remove the old thermal paste from the underside of the cooler and the "top of the processor"

I got it off the "dots" gently rubbing it.

Dont fancy trekking to peats, could I pick some rubbing alco from a pharmacy and the paste from PC World perhaps ( I dont like to give them business but its only a small purchase)

Hi Deano

You mean I should get the rubbing alcohol to remove the old thermal paste from the underside of the cooler and the "top of the processor"

I got it off the "dots" gently rubbing it.

Dont fancy trekking to peats, could I pick some rubbing alco from a pharmacy and the paste from PC World perhaps ( I dont like to give them business but its only a small purchase)

The stuff in PC World is usally rubbish quality.Spend a few euro on a good thermal paste,it will drop your temps quite a bit.

If you dont fancy going to Peats then order this stuff on Komplett and they will deliver to you.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=312191 - Articlean

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=460665 - Noctua NTH1

Acetone also works for this purpose too, but make sure it is pure and unscented. you can sometimes find it in a chemists as nail polish remover.

Hi Guys

I was just about to say I cannot get Isopropyl anywhere!!
    My wife has nail polish remover with acetone, will that suffice???

The product I got in PC world cost me 10 euro. Its called akasa thermal compound, hi spec 450....

what do you think?

You can pick it up in a lot of builders suppliers or Motor factors. Nail polish remover will work if unscented, check the contents in the back. You will want it to be very pure. If it is scented with lavender or something else stay clear as it will leave a residue on the IHS.

Hi Guys

I was just about to say I cannot get Isopropyl anywhere!!
    My wife has nail polish remover with acetone, will that suffice???

The product I got in PC world cost me 10 euro. Its called akasa thermal compound, hi spec 450....

what do you think?

Bleh,I would have gone with AS5 or Noctua NT-H1 if it was me

Hi all

Acetone in the pharmacy?

OR

Anti Sil from motor factors which he said is a decgreaser.

I was unsure so I decided to post the options here....

Help I dont want to screw it up anymore

• Advertisement

Hi again all

I managed to track some rubbing alcohol. It is all clean now.

However what I would like to know is how to correctly apply the thermal compound.

I have an i5 Quad core and a video I seen said it should be done in a single line....

Do I need to apply it to both the CPU and the bottom of the heatsink??

Should I smooth it out to cover the whole CPU or just leave it a "single line"??

Thanks all

Apoligies for the baby questions I just want to make sure I get it absolutely right this time around!

John

Hi again all

I managed to track some rubbing alcohol. It is all clean now.

However what I would like to know is how to correctly apply the thermal compound.

I have an i5 Quad core and a video I seen said it should be done in a single line....

Do I need to apply it to both the CPU and the bottom of the heatsink??

Should I smooth it out to cover the whole CPU or just leave it a "single line"??

Thanks all

Apoligies for the baby questions I just want to make sure I get it absolutely right this time around!

John

Heres what I do.

Put a blob (about a pea size,maybe a little smaller) in the middle of the CPU,then get a credit card and cover the entire IHS (the silver bit on the top of your CPU),make sure its EVENLY SPREAD over the entire IHS.Dont apply it to your HSF (Heatsink).It's always provided me with good temps and should work for you !

Advertisement