Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amateur MMA intervarsity

• 03-11-2009 12:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭

Hey all

I've been contacted by other college MMA/BJJ clubs over the last few months and the idea of having an MMA intervarsity using E class rules has been floated around. This would compliment the planned April Grappling intervarsity nicely IMO and would be a useful addition to Irelands competitive calender.

This is all preliminary but to get the ball rolling I propose

Date : December 20th
    Rules : E class (no headshots standing or grounded/Shin guards)

The alternative is that I can set it up after the christmas break and closer to Aprils grappling intervarsity..say march or late february.

Thoughts and comments welcome.

Oisin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 FightNightMedia

Personal Experience of running University of Ulster Coleraine Judo Club the date maybe too early for clubs to get organised for funding and the like.

Everyone is away home for Christmas at that date and usually finish at the end of the second week of December might be difficult to get good numbers.

So your talking February like you said really but it could clash with Judo, Karate and Fencing Intervarsity's which all happen in February. March Maybe the better option, in Coleraine there are guys who are wanting to cross over to MMA from doing martial arts.
    Sure these guys would like a go at MMA (especially at E Class) without missing their primary intervarsity's. I could see them coming back from the MMA Intervarsity's and starting MMA clubs in there university in turn boosting next years numbers guaranteeing the future for University MMA.

Could you send me details about the grappling intervarsity's to fightnightmedia@gmail.com think i could get a couple of guys from my club to go and compete.

I would Contact CUSAI as well the Irish Univerisity Sport Governing body www.cusai.ie it would good to have them on your side, what you are planning to do.

Cheers Michael

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭ittmixedmartial

i agree with fight its a little bit much for around the time of the year wen everyone is gone home i think wen they come back from the christmas break they would have a good month to get ready and all :) we r in nywy hv alot of good lads this year very eager :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭OMCCABE

Great stuf lads. My preference was certainly after christmas too I must admit. Gives each club the chance to round out the skills. I'll get on the organisation of it so and will keep this updated. I plan on trying to have both intervarsities separated by about 4 weeks.

hey oisin any word on when thats gonna be ?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 omen2323

Hey, CIT down in Cork Would be up for holding maybe a leg of the competition? for people down the south, then we send fighters up to you in Dublin?

Dunno how many fighters we'd enter but we would hold some things no problem.

Cheers

• Advertisement

Things are in motion. Looking at mid april and mid march for the 2 intervarsities. As it stands both will be in Dublin but thats not completely set in stone yet.

I will be giving plenty of notice anyway so nobody will be caught on the hop. I will post up rules
    for both competitions withing the next week or so which will allow clubs to dictate their training if they wish.

Oisin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 859 ✭✭✭BobbyOLeary

Yo Oisin, I'll PM you my mobile and my email address. If you need a hand sorting this thing out let me know, last year was class so I'd be glad to see it happen again.

Plus I know where to get an epic trophy:pac:

Quick update here. Since DCU are organizing the intervarsities again this year, both MMA and grappling will take place here in Dublin. I believe I do have a venue locked in but if not we have other options also so its no problem.

WHEN : The 2 intervarsities will be taking place in April and May

WERE : Dublin

RULES : Will be appropriate to class and posted well in advance of the tournaments.

COST : €15 per entrant.

AWARDS : individual and team including EPIC trophies...apperently.

A heads up with regards to rules for grappling. With the exception of the advanced divisions there will be no footlocks of any kind. Points will be used again

As for the MMA, E class rules as with the MMA league which will be a great oppurtunity for clubs to build experience.

Will be back soon with more details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 malf66

Just wondering is there any more information on this Event?

Thanks

Sorry for the delay kids, between being in the middle of exams and boards shutting down...anyway.

Both the Amatuer MMA intervarsities AND the submission grappling intervarsities are being held in the DCU sports centre (Huge hall, shops right next door, showers etc)

I have asked for 2 dates...March 28th (sunday) and April 11th (sunday).
    March will host the submission grappling intervarsity and April will host the MMA intervarsity.

Guys, having DCU accept tp hold these events adds real legitimacy to what we do and I'd like to think that the work I've put into getting these events off the ground will pay off, resulting in a permanant event, so lets make the most of it and prepare to turn out in force either as supporters or competitors.

Let me know if these dates suit all clubs.

Oisin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 859 ✭✭✭BobbyOLeary

OMCCABE wrote: »
    Sorry for the delay kids, between being in the middle of exams and boards shutting down...anyway.

Both the Amatuer MMA intervarsities AND the submission grappling intervarsities are being held in the DCU sports centre (Huge hall, shops right next door, showers etc)

March will host the submission grappling intervarsity and April will host the MMA intervarsity.

Guys, having DCU accept tp hold these events adds real legitimacy to what we do and I'd like to think that the work I've put into getting these events off the ground will pay off, resulting in a permanant event, so lets make the most of it and prepare to turn out in force either as supporters or competitors.

Let me know if these dates suit all clubs.

Oisin

Hey Oisin,

Off the top of my head I can say that the first date suits us but the second one doesn't, too close to exams I'd think (UCD is nuts with how quickly we do our exams). That won't make much difference to us though really, we wouldn't field an enormous MMA team anyway so I doubt or absence will be noted that much. The grappling should be fine and we should be able to supply a decent set of people for that one.

We don't have training until tomorrow so I'll announce it to the guys and see what the reaction is and I'll report back. I can't see the guys saying no though, they're dying for a bit of competition.

Talk soon,

Bobby
    UCDMMA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

UCD are going to kill QUB in the Grappling

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭dasmoose

Lol... didn't go so well last year for you ;)

dasmoose wrote: »

I was injured.
    Nobody explained the rules to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

dasmoose wrote: »

In all fairness we never really collided wit yous last year. Think in terms of our guys coming up against each other we were 1-1.

Don't take this too seriously, its mainly just kev and me winding each other up :)

On an actual serious note, I'm just wondering what the best possible format of this competition is going to be?

What approach is being taken? Is this a genuine competitive inter-varsity or like just an opportunity for lads to give MMA a go so they can tell their girlfriends they're cage fighters?

Like, I'm not sure if you can expect amateurs (novices in terms of experience as well as rule class) to have more than 2 5 minute fights in the one day, so it will be hard to run a tournament or a league structure.

It will also be hard to match people up in terms of weight and skill, do we really have enough potential competitors?

Like Mark Leonard has years of experience in organising these things and still every year there is DQs and knocks and bruises.

I think it's an excellent opportunity to give guys a chance of having a go and I think it should be approached in this manner. Just pair up a few of the lads and give them a fight.

Hopefully some of the mma experienced guys will weight in with their advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Is this a genuine competitive inter-varsity or like just an opportunity for lads to give MMA a go so they can tell their girlfriends they're cage fighters?

Is there any other reason for doin mma?

On an actual serious note, I'm just wondering what the best possible format of this competition is going to be?

What approach is being taken? Is this a genuine competitive inter-varsity or like just an opportunity for lads to give MMA a go so they can tell their girlfriends they're cage fighters?

Like, I'm not sure if you can expect amateurs (novices in terms of experience as well as rule class) to have more than 2 5 minute fights in the one day, so it will be hard to run a tournament or a league structure.

It will also be hard to match people up in terms of weight and skill, do we really have enough potential competitors?

Like Mark Leonard has years of experience in organising these things and still every year there is DQs and knocks and bruises.

I think it's an excellent opportunity to give guys a chance of having a go and I think it should be approached in this manner. Just pair up a few of the lads and give them a fight.

Hopefully some of the mma experienced guys will weight in with their advice.

The sub grappling intervarsity will be run the same way as last year with points and referees pushing for activity. We will split the classes in both competition by weight classes and experience levels (the most important thing with this is that anyone who started in this college year can only face somebody of similar status)

For the MMA I'm very much leaning towards (educated) referee decisions...no specific points basis. I am not a fan of the draw system but I have absolutely no problem running it in that way were its submission only for the win.

I want to hear peoples opinoion on what they want...not what they think is possible. You can ask for a 20 foot trophy doesn't mean its gonna happen but no harm in asking ;).

WAR DCU...BOOO the rest of ya!!!

P.S cardio shouldn't be an issue by these dates but if it is just finish all your opponents quickly...problem solved.

P.S.S there will be a rules meeting before each event

P.S.S.S Don't forget about the equipment necessary (You may be able to get grants from college towards this)
    ...gum shield
    ...groin guard
    ...mma gloves (MMA)
    ...strapless shin guards (MMA)
    ...no teeshirts (Rash guards only or no top at all)
    ...Shorts

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭RearNakedJim

i think there are a few ways you can go re: wins/draws etc. and would be happy with refs calling the fights or having a mat judge. Also i would be happy with submission/ref stoppages.

My only concern would be that i would not let someone with 6 months training twice a week at most to fight more than 2 five minute matches at the very most. Most people in the colleges are still rookies and dont believe would be ready for more that i mentioned from a safety point of view.

Last years sub intervarsity was awesome and i hope you can work a way of getting the mma intervarsity going, but as i said i would be concerned from a safety point of view if they had to go more than twice.

• Advertisement

i think there are a few ways you can go re: wins/draws etc. and would be happy with refs calling the fights or having a mat judge. Also i would be happy with submission/ref stoppages.

My only concern would be that i would not let someone with 6 months training twice a week at most to fight more than 2 five minute matches at the very most. Most people in the colleges are still rookies and dont believe would be ready for more that i mentioned from a safety point of view.

Last years sub intervarsity was awesome and i hope you can work a way of getting the mma intervarsity going, but as i said i would be concerned from a safety point of view if they had to go more than twice.

Hey Jim

Good input. Thats the kind of thing I need to hear.
    The solution to your concerns may be to make most divisions knockout in the MMA event (In which case referee decisions would definetley be inforced). I'm interested to hear exactly what your concerns are with regards to safety and anybody elses that wants to chime in. The more specific information I have the better.

Oisin

Bumping this to make sure everyone knows about it. Thus far I've had contact from Queens, DCU, UCD, IT Blanchardstown, IT Tallaght, Anyone from Limerick?? Also what about the boys out in IT Cork?

Since the Sub grappling is coming up first I'll say that we will be keeping the rules almost exactly the same right down to the weight classes.

I'll post more on the weight classes when I get the chance (crazy busy right now)

edit : here they are

under 64kg
    under 70kg
    under 76kg
    under 82kg
    under 88kg
    under 94kg
    under 102kg

(That means under this year.....so for example 64.1 is not under)
    Everyone has plenty of time to gradually bring their weight down if they wish and this should be a great motivator.

P.S..also for the exhibitionists last year that felt the need to strip down to tiny Y-fronts despite coming in anywhere from half a kilo to 3 kilos under their weight limit..its really not necessary. The admin job is stressful enough without having to get an eyeful of that. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

Bumping this to make sure everyone knows about it. Thus far I've had contact from Queens, DCU, UCD, IT Blanchardstown, IT Tallaght, Anyone from Limerick?? Also what about the boys out in IT Cork?

there's no longer a mma club in UL. as a point of interest can UL students still enter even though there is no actual university club??

danlen wrote: »
    there's no longer a mma club in UL. as a point of interest can UL students still enter even though there is no actual university club??

Thats a pity to hear Danlen although as far as I know there was also a BJJ club. Is that still active?

I started this us with the goal of maximizing participation so if you turn up on the day with a valid in date student card your in. I will also say that I am looking at organising a side event on the day for non students who may be training with different College/University clubs and what to compete so if any of the clubs are in this situation let me know and I will set it up.

That'd be cool oisin, we have a few guys in that position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

Hi, are these still the dates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

Thats a pity to hear Danlen although as far as I know there was also a BJJ club. Is that still active?

the bjj club was run by fergal quinlan who is now running the club at a city location along with ger healys mma club, so there is no UL bjj club at the moment.

I started this us with the goal of maximizing participation so if you turn up on the day with a valid in date student card your in. I will also say that I am looking at organising a side event on the day for non students who may be training with different College/University clubs and what to compete so if any of the clubs are in this situation let me know and I will set it up.

great news

hi oisin was tlkin to the college sports officer nd he said if its not a cusai sanctioned intervarsities we cant compete so is it ?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭flynny51

Might know a few people from UCC interested. Will ask around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 malf66

What gloves are going to be used in this competition?
    Will they be 4oz or more like sparring gloves?

Thanks

malf66 wrote: »
    What gloves are going to be used in this competition?
    Will they be 4oz or more like sparring gloves?

Thanks

Hey mate

I answered your PM there but for everyones information. I am happy with either. For example I have a set of Fairtex training gloves and Everlast competition gloves and I believe both will hurt equally on a body shot. Anyone have a different opinion to this let me know. A finalized set of rules will be posted within the next few weeks.

Niall0 wrote: »
    Hi, are these still the dates?

Yes they are the dates and will not be changing.

hi oisin was tlkin to the college sports officer nd he said if its not a cusai sanctioned intervarsities we cant compete so is it ?:)

My time is limited at the best of times and I have never had any contact with CUSAI nor had the chance to track them down(Not out of choice but rather because the need has not arose). These events are about creating an outlet for students to test the skills they have learned in a good athmosphere. Last year we had a great laugh and turnout, there was a real sense of comraderie. This is the most important aspect of the events and it hopefully will help to further strenghten the Irish MMA and Grapping community in some way.

As things stand the facts are as such. Anyone from ITT or any other 3rd level institution who turns up on the day with their student ID will be allowed to take part and enjoy themselves, if 5 or more do so then they may enter a team of 5 competitors. I do not see were the "College sports officer" comes into this. To be blunt I have very limited time to spend on organising these event between working with clients and my academic work. I have (or will have) provided venue, mats, referees, first aid, judges and a handsome presence to the event and if people wish to avail of the opportunity it is there for them.

Hope this helps clear things up. It woudl be great to have you guys on board again this year..there was some serious potential on display in last years sub grappling event.

man i really hope we can to i sent you a pm to just hope ya see it bfre the comp :)

What's the issue IT Tallaght MMA has? Is it the college is refusing to pay for entrance fees for competitions not affiliated with CUSAI ? Is it the college is saying entrants aren't insured? Like they can't actually prevent you from competing if you choose to do so.

Interestingly enough, CUSAI has stuck its nose into Irish Intervarsity Boxing. Originally it was governed by a separate organisation (IUBA) but there has been some politics and stuff and I think cusai has taken control. There was an issue with the IABA not insuring fighters froms clubs not affiliated with themselves and cusai.

• Advertisement

no nothing like that sid we wud all pay ourselves etc it just has to be on the calender tbh we have a really close relationship with our sports officer and he just said it is just place time and what it is nothin really major they dont need to help or be involved with the comp because i wudn say they wud know much bout the sport.

iv been talkin to oisin so its pretty much sorted like i saw how well it was run last year hope it gets bigger and better and love been involved in this sport:) and wud love to have like an mma league college style ha :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

*Bump*

MMA intervarsity is coming up on the 11th of april ya?

Any more info on the rules?

Niall0 wrote: »
    *Bump*

MMA intervarsity is coming up on the 11th of april ya?

Any more info on the rules?

Thats riht Niall. I'll be postin on rules etc in the coming days. However I will say that we will be using shin guards (must be slip on with no velcro or buckles). I know they sell them in town and I'm sure you can get others elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 CraigBK

Great Competition !!!

thanks for the opportunity to compete !

Advertisement