Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FreeSat HD half price in Argos UK

Options
  • 03-11-2009 12:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭

Bush Freesat HD box now only £68 stg. This is the Free to air box that also broadcasts BBC and ITV HD. Bought one in Newry Yesterday...

Powercity selling exact same box for €145 euro.:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭kindalen

how is this system working for you? can it record? seems interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

It doesnt have an inbuilt drive to record on.

Bush, Goodmans and Grundig Freesat boxes dont get good reviews online.
    The Humax Freesat box is the one to go for. The PVR model is apprx £250, Non-PVR is apprx £150

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭kindalen

humax pvr it is so. thanks. can i use it to watch different channels in 2 rooms at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

No I don't think so but you might want to read about the Humax PVR in the Satellites forum. The PVR bit records the channel that you want to record which may not be necessarily the one that you are watching. Think of the pVR bit as a digital video recorder!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

But if someone couldn't afford >£100 and just wanted a FTA box for the bedroom, what can they use that gets good reviews?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭Soarer

Use any old Sky box. You won't get the HD channels though.

Yeah, like there's loads of them lying around...

Or do people get a 2nd hand one, and hope the power supply won't break in a month?...

Don't be such a bloody smartarse. I gave a valid option for someone not willing to pay £100+.

Figure out your options yourself since you seem to know it all.

How the hell is that a valid option? If I had a spare sky box, wouldn't I be using it to watch telly (subscription or FTA) in the first place and not be looking for a spare box?

Besides, a brand new box is over £100.

I'm just saying, I am looking out for some kind of option and that if I had an old sky box, I'd be watching it already.

Sorry if I sounded like a smartarse:(

• Registered Users Posts: 28 citroman

Well, I bought one of these Bush Freesat HD sets last week when I went up to Argos in Newry to buy a small HD lcd tv.

I bought a Bush L319LED 19in HD Ready Digital LED-LCD TV.
    529/5559 £139.99 and the Bush Black Freesat HD Digital Box.
    532/1564 1£59.99.

Paid in Euros in the shop and the £199.98 cost me €219. TV in Argos Dublin was €210.

Got home, bought a twin outlet LNB in Maplins (with adaptor for Sky dish) stuck it on and used a spare cable from it into the bedroom.

Connected the 2 units together, fired them up, they auto loaded the programme list and now I have HD tv with a load of stations.

Hope this info is of use to someone.

Citroman
    PS, should have bought the LNB and bracket in Maplins N.I. much more expensive in Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

Yeah, like there's loads of them lying around...

Or do people get a 2nd hand one, and hope the power supply won't break in a month?...
    Have a look on adverts.ie; there are loads for sale secondhand and any I ever purchased are still going strong. Its worth risking €20 or €30.

How the hell is that a valid option? If I had a spare sky box, wouldn't I be using it to watch telly (subscription or FTA) in the first place and not be looking for a spare box?

Besides, a brand new box is over £100.

I'm just saying, I am looking out for some kind of option and that if I had an old sky box, I'd be watching it already.

Sorry if I sounded like a smartarse:(

You never mentioned anything about the box having to be new. You said you wanted something for the bedroom, which to me means something cheap and cheerful that'll do the job. That's why I mentioned the Sky box.
    Obviously if you already had one you'd be using it...I'm not that stupid! But the fact you couldn't cone down from your throne for long enough to see I was talking about buying a secondhand Sky box, then that says more about you than me.
    I could also suggest getting multiroom for 12months @ €7.50 per month, cancel after a year, and then you have your box as well as all channels for the year, but you're obviously clever enough to have thought of that yourself.

And with that, I'll take my leave.

Back on topic.....

Eh I don't have sky to begin with, so multiroom is fairly useless to me. I *could* say "Pity you weren't smart enough to think of that" but you're at least trying to make a suggestion, I'm not going to attack you for it! You just said "Use any old sky box" You did NOT say "buy". You did not say "buy a second hand box" either. I'm not a bloody mind reader, how was I supposed to "come down off my throne"?

Man it's just the internet, why take anything so personally? I never implied you were stupid or that I knew more than you. I even apologised if I seemed like a smart arse! You're totally over reacting.

I never mentioned anything about the box having to be new, because it doesn't. I just was concerned over the reliability of the boxes after hearing of all the power supply problems some of them have. Also, I thought the 2nd hand going rate was about €50. The price of a new box, but I was wondering of there were any cheap new boxes that worked pretty well and wasn't buggy or forgot channels etc.

The Freesat HD box on half price is a bit too expensive for my needs btw.
    wait4me wrote:
    Have a look on adverts.ie; there are loads for sale secondhand and any I ever purchased are still going strong. Its worth risking €20 or €30.
    Thanks for that, I was concerned about the whole power supply thingy. I'm suprised they're that cheap really! Of course, those boxes only get you the London region channels but that's something I can live with if they are that cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Thanks for that, I was concerned about the whole power supply thingy. I'm suprised they're that cheap really! Of course, those boxes only get you the London region channels but that's something I can live with if they are that cheap!

You can get all these channels and more.

sesswhat wrote: »
    You can get all these channels and more.
    Thanks for that. I already do that for friends and neighbours who want UTV and ITV 2,3,4 added. I don't think you can get the EPG for the other channels though, can you? But beggars can't be choosers:D

Advertisement