Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slane 2010 rumours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Yes...another mediocre-at-best band so I can save my money and see decent bands at better prices elsewhere. So Muse, Arctic Monkeys and one more are definites for Oxegen then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Green Day have been confirmed to headline Slane 2010
    http://2fm.rte.ie/previously_played/2009-11-02/51#track_listing
    Go and listen to Colum and JimJim from Monday and skip to just before 120

ah bollox, i seen them last week and they were awesome and was definitely gonna go to the planned outdoor gig next year.
    Now i'm not so sure, not after all teh horror stories i've been reading about Slane from the past few years.
    Lookin like a flight across the water for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭lgoring21

what already??but im still recovering from slane 09 :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

Good as they were in the O2, I really can't be arsed going to Slane, especially after the stories from this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

A waste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Meh, their last album sold 6m in the U.S and the new one hasn't even gone Platinum. Nobody is listening to Green Day right now, this would've been a big coup a few years ago but they did took too long to follow up American Idiot and now nobody cares. Not to say the gig wouldn't be good, they have some great songs but this is a poor choice of headliner and won't sell out IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Meh, their last album sold 6m in the U.S and the new one hasn't even gone Platinum. Nobody is listening to Green Day right now, this would've been a big coup a few years ago but they did took too long to follow up American Idiot and now nobody cares. Not to see the gig wouldn't be good, they have some great songs but this is a poor choice of headliner and won't sell out IMO

Don't think your alone in that. It did crss my mind that they won't sell that many tickets, so some decent support must be lined up.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whiterob81

I think it will sell out just because it's slane. If Oasis could sell it out last year I think Greenday have a pretty good chance. It might be 5 years ago since Greenday released a really great album but it was nearly 15 years for oasis when they played slane and people still flocked to it, which I found pretty mystifying. Despite the fact that 21st Century Breakdown is hardly their finest work, i still think they have more relevance now in contemporary pop culture than Oasis did when they headlined.

Plus Greenday put on a way better show and imo would be way more entertaining. Also, judging by the audience at the o2 gig, they are the type of band that the whole family could go to, as un rock and roll as that sounds, whereas oasis fanbase seems to be limited more to predominantly late 20s/early 30s males.

Personally, I won't be going because I think Slane's a complete hell hole and it wouldn't matter if they resurrected Kurt Cobain for one night only, supported by a reformed System of a Down and the original guns n roses line up, I've been 3 times and the whole thing's a horrendous pain in the hole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

whiterob81 wrote: »
    nearly 15 years for oasis when they played slane and people still flocked to it

I know a good few people who went to see The Prodigy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

That's a f**kin s***e headliner, imo.

• Advertisement

May have been the case but Oasis were still the headliners. Did your mates even get to see the prodigy with the whole fiasco of trying to herd people in?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭mspacman

Is this some kind of sick joke???????? I feel sick. I think I might puke. This is almost as bad as getting Madonna and Eminem in at Slane. Green Day?! Seriously. They are absolute tripe!

Pass the bucket.

If Lord Henry Mountcharles is trying to recreate the magic of last year, he's gone the totally opposite direction. How can we go from having the sublime lineup of Oasis, Kasabian, The Prodigy etc...to..(puke)...Green Day?!

Hmmm I feel very strongly on this topic.

Why not add to the rubbishness of it all and bring Kings of Leon on board.

May have been the case but Oasis were still the headliners. Did your mates even get to see the prodigy with the whole fiasco of trying to herd people in?

It honestly was nothing as bad as people made it out to be. Moany Joe Duffy listeners.

mspacman wrote: »
    Is this some kind of sick joke???????? I feel sick. I think I might puke. This is almost as bad as getting Madonna and Eminem in at Slane. Green Day?! Seriously. They are absolute tripe!

Pass the bucket.

If Lord Henry Mountcharles is trying to recreate the magic of last year, he's gone the totally opposite direction. How can we go from having the sublime lineup of Oasis, Kasabian, The Prodigy etc...to..(puke)...Green Day?!

Hmmm I feel very strongly on this topic.

Why not add to the rubbishness of it all and bring Kings of Leon on board.

what's wrong with having madonna or eminem as headliners? you can be gauranteed that they're both gonna put on great shows. they're perfectly suited to that type of environment/venue imo. Doesn't always have to be blokey joyless "authentic" guitar bands.

Your comments bring to mind Noel Gallagher's "What's a rapper doing headlining Glastonbury?" comments. Not everyone lives on meat n 2 veg dad rock

what's wrong with having madonna or eminem as headliners? you can be gauranteed that they're both gonna put on great shows. they're perfectly suited to that type of environment/venue imo. Doesn't always have to be blokey joyless "authentic" guitar bands.

Your comments bring to mind Noel Gallagher's "What's a rapper doing headlining Glastonbury?" comments. Not everyone lives on meat n 2 veg dad rock

Erm I'm sorry but the likes of Slane and Glastonbury have always been rock orientated. I would have to agree with Noel Gallagher on this one. That Glasto was a massive flop. Tickets didn't sell out. Proves the point.

What next, Westlife headlining Electric Picnic?

I think that those types of festivals should stick to their roots. That's what people want. That's what sells.

Erm I'm sorry but the likes of Slane and Glastonbury have always been rock orientated. I would have to agree with Noel Gallagher on this one. That Glasto was a massive flop. Tickets didn't sell out. Proves the point.

What next, Westlife headlining Electric Picnic?

I think that those types of festivals should stick to their roots. That's what people want. That's what sells.

some people seem to think the reason it didn't sell out that year was due to the hellish weather conditions of the previous 4 years and the economic downturn rather than just because Jay Z was headlining.

Also, Eminem sold out Slane in an hour so that kind of disproves your point about slane only being successful as a rock concert

anyways, we're going off point here: Greenday are a rock act, not a hip hop act, with a surprisingly impressive back catalogue and a great live show. So, Slane isn't really straying from its roots by having them headline.

Do have to agree with ya about Kings of Leon though, they suck

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I could see the line up being something like
    Green Day
    Blink 182
    Fall Out Boy or Paramore or both

• Registered Users Posts: 27,336 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Dookie was good. They haven't really been relevent since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

i won't be going. to there sound is the same as american idiot. way better bands out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭xIsabelx

LAWL!!!

Care to elaborate on that statement?

I can't wait for this. saw them 4 times in 10 days there last week and had the absolute best time ever. Going to the two stadium shows in England next June as well. Love this band so much, they're absolutely everything to me. Their live shows are just unbelievable :):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Yellowledbetter

It honestly was nothing as bad as people made it out to be. Moany Joe Duffy listeners.

I was there and it really was that bad,a great band but a shambles of an "Organised Event".I like Green day but doubt il chance it next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Insomniac had some good tracks and so did Nimrod. IMO it was after Nimrod that they started going downhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I don't think they'd fill it, but I'd love to see someone like Pearl Jam or Metallica headline Slane??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

penexpers wrote: »
    Insomniac had some good tracks and so did Nimrod. IMO it was after Nimrod that they started going downhill.

american idiot was one of the biggest selling albums worldwide this decade
    mspacman wrote:

if it was half as bad as ac/dc in punchestown (and i heard it was worse from people who attended both), then it was terrible, i was at ac/dc and never again will i return to punchestown
    mspacman wrote:
    Erm I'm sorry but the likes of Slane and Glastonbury have always been rock orientated.

and what are green day?? country?? robbie f*cking williams had headlined slane and you have a problem with greenday :rolleyes:

I don't think they'd fill it, but I'd love to see someone like Pearl Jam or Metallica headline Slane??

PJ who i love wouldn't sell out slane, maybe in 1995 no chance these days, metallica have played here every year for the last 6, maybe pearl jam and metallica together :)

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Bugg

Saw them in the O2 and it was a fantastic show but don't know if I'd pay almost twice the amount I paid last time to see the (presuming) same show again. Although if theres some really good support bands I'd probably go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

rossie1977 wrote: »
    american idiot was one of the biggest selling albums worldwide this decade

Yes, that must mean it was a great album. What was I thinking?

penexpers wrote: »
    Yes, that must mean it was a great album. What was I thinking?

it gained worldwide acclaim yes, won a grammy for best rock album in 2005, won album of the decade on kerrang, won 7 of 8 awards on mtv video music awards

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭sissorhands

I think it will sell out just because it's slane. If Oasis could sell it out last year I think Greenday have a pretty good chance. It might be 5 years ago since Greenday released a really great album but it was nearly 15 years for oasis when they played slane and people still flocked to it, which I found pretty mystifying. Despite the fact that 21st Century Breakdown is hardly their finest work, i still think they have more relevance now in contemporary pop culture than Oasis did when they headlined.

Plus Greenday put on a way better show and imo would be way more entertaining. Also, judging by the audience at the o2 gig, they are the type of band that the whole family could go to, as un rock and roll as that sounds, whereas oasis fanbase seems to be limited more to predominantly late 20s/early 30s males.

Personally, I won't be going because I think Slane's a complete hell hole and it wouldn't matter if they resurrected Kurt Cobain for one night only, supported by a reformed System of a Down and the original guns n roses line up, I've been 3 times and the whole thing's a horrendous pain in the hole

You are actually a ****in pussy! "wouldn go to slane" My god you are a little sap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭sissorhands

scudzilla wrote: »
    ah bollox, i seen them last week and they were awesome and was definitely gonna go to the planned outdoor gig next year.
    Now i'm not so sure, not after all teh horror stories i've been reading about Slane from the past few years.
    Lookin like a flight across the water for me
    Youre a lil pussy! All those 'horror' stories were compiled by grumpy old women who never been to a real a concert in their life and when they went to one all hell broke loose. Its not slane castles fault that dublin bus made a muck up of the job, and of course they are gonna fix that. Bloody wimps!

Advertisement