Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slane 2010 rumours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

NTMK wrote: »
    i dont think slanes organisers would want an inconsistent band and a band that has played so many gigs in Ireland in the last few years to headline slane

the only thing the organiser care about if it sells out.

thye dont really care who plays it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

RonMexico wrote: »
    Guns N Roses confirmed to be headlining Reading and Leeds. Lookin good for Slane?

Nooooooooooooooo chance. Gn'R of 2010 would never fill Slane.

Your right,it was overplayed but there is still no denying its a very good song.. Hyde Park in london sold out in 2 hours and I know thats very different to here but alot of Uk fans will come over but it would easily sell out anyway... Well my opinion differs to yours, they are probably my favourite band and I like almost every song.. Would you go if they played.. I would think that all the larger louts that sing there music in bars?kareoke whatever would not go so it would be a great concert.. You know you'll go;) Apart from use somebody and sex on fire i cannot agree with you on their music being radio friendly

If Kings of Leon were the main headlines I would stay at home, there's not a chance they'd sell 80 thousand tickets unless there was some amazing and awe-inspiring support bands. Kings are perfect for Oxegen, radio friendly, unoffensive music for 13 year old girls and piss heads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ilovethearsenal

If Kings of Leon were the main headlines I would stay at home, there's not a chance they'd sell 80 thousand tickets unless there was some amazing and awe-inspiring support bands. Kings are perfect for Oxegen, radio friendly, unoffensive music for 13 year old girls and piss heads.

13 years old girls listen to... manhattan,revelry,knocked up,charmer,notion,be somebody,molly chambers,milk?? please cop on.. Your clearly bitter about the kol and the fact they are such a success and how you were there when know one knew them...

They would sell out slane in a couple of days come on.. Dont underestimate their popularity, people would come from all over the world, they are only playing a few concerts this year... there was well over 50.000 at oxegen and they had the 'awe inspiring' bloc party before hand...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

They would sell out slane in a couple of days come on.. Dont underestimate their popularity, people would come from all over the world, they are only playing a few concerts this year... there was well over 50.000 at oxegen and they had the 'awe inspiring' bloc party before hand...

I can't believe you just made statements like that

Personally, I think your wrong, whether or not I think the band is talented is now irrelevant, they will NEVER sell out Slane...or anything near it...and people will not come from all over the world to see a KOL performance in Ireland

If the band are still performing in 10 years, then perhaps if they are still producing top charting albums and getting mainstream attention...but now, no

• Advertisement

I can't believe you just made statements like that

Personally, I think your wrong, whether or not I think the band is talented is now irrelevant, they will NEVER sell out Slane...or anything near it...and people will not come from all over the world to see a KOL performance in Ireland

cannot believe a statement like that??? Stereophonics are bigger when they played that kol are now? or bryan adams?? Oasis although they were a very good bad have been finished for almost 10 years.. kol are playing two concerts in englans-sold out within 2 hours? thats their concerts in europe this year.. nobody else in europe wants to see them and would come??? please dont make ridiculous statements.. Give me a better band in the last 10 years ?

13 years old girls listen to... manhattan,revelry,knocked up,charmer,notion,be somebody,molly chambers,milk?? please cop on.. Your clearly bitter about the kol and the fact they are such a success and how you were there when know one knew them...

Obviously you know nothign about my musical taste as I'm not one of those people who starts to dislike a band once they get popular. I'm anythign but, I think that any band who go from being an underground act to widespread fame should be applauded. Where I do have a problem is when bands change their style and musical output in order to appeal to radio friendly audiences. I will still dig out the first two Kings albums and listen to them but the last album was a dreadful radio friendly attempt to appeal to 13 year old girls. I still like Green Day though I find their last two albums to be pretty poor as they re-branded themselves to appeal to a younger radio friendly audience.

I'm sure all those people were there for Kings of Leon, I suppose the packed audience for David Grey a few years back means that he too drew about 50,000 people to the gig?
    cannot believe a statement like that??? Stereophonics are bigger when they played that kol are now? or bryan adams?? Oasis although they were a very good bad have been finished for almost 10 years.. kol are playing two concerts in englans-sold out within 2 hours? thats their concerts in europe this year.. nobody else in europe wants to see them and would come??? please dont make ridiculous statements.. Give me a better band in the last 10 years ?

Oasis also had support from the Prodigy and it's believed that tens of thousands of people went to Slane specifically to see them and not Oasis. You want better bands from the past ten years, you mean bands who became big in the past 10 years or bands who formed in that period.

Obviously you know nothign about my musical taste as I'm not one of those people who starts to dislike a band once they get popular. I'm anythign but, I think that any band who go from being an underground act to widespread fame should be applauded. Where I do have a problem is when bands change their style and musical output in order to appeal to radio friendly audiences. I will still dig out the first two Kings albums and listen to them but the last album was a dreadful radio friendly attempt to appeal to 13 year old girls. I still like Green Day though I find their last two albums to be pretty poor as they re-branded themselves to appeal to a younger radio friendly audience.

I'm sure all those people were there for Kings of Leon, I suppose the packed audience for David Grey a few years back means that he too drew about 50,000 people to the gig?

Oasis also had support from the Prodigy and it's believed that tens of thousands of people went to Slane specifically to see them and not Oasis. You want better bands from the past ten years, you mean bands who became big in the past 10 years or bands who formed in that period.

re david gray

white ladder was the biggest selling album of a DECADE in this country so im pretty sure they were..OVER 100,000 album sales in this country.

Well if you actually listened to only by the night you would realise its not main stream. they may not be the band you fell in love with but in my opinion they are incredible..
    How can you say they are aiming at 13 year old girls??
    Anyway you have your opinion i have mine and I personally would love to see them play slane as i know so many more would..
    Green day.. american idiot not mainstream??and basically the rest of there crap.. 12-16 year old girls & boys have been going around with green day hoodies for 15 years atleast..

re david gray

white ladder was the biggest selling album of a DECADE in this country so im pretty sure they were..OVER 100,000 album sales in this country.

Well if you actually listened to only by the night you would realise its not main stream. they may not be the band you fell in love with but in my opinion they are incredible..
    How can you say they are aiming at 13 year old girls??
    Anyway you have your opinion i have mine and I personally would love to see them play slane as i know so many more would..
    Green day.. american idiot not mainstream??and basically the rest of there crap.. 12-16 year old girls & boys have been going around with green day hoodies for 15 years atleast..

Obviously you're not reading other peoples posts, if you had you would have seen where I said the last two Green Day albums were poor. I was comparing them to Kings of Leon in the way they re-branded themselves for a teenage market. I would reply in depth to your post but tbh trying to read anything you write hurts my head, it would be greatly appreciated if you could try and utilise the entire keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

I would reply in depth to your post but tbh trying to read anything you write hurts my head, it would be greatly appreciated if you could try and utilise the entire keyboard.

Seriously. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Cant understand everyone disagreeing with the poster about KOL selling out Slane.Not my cup of tea,did like their first album but this is the bigggest band for the audience that would now filll slane.They are played in nightclubs,weddings,radio,the most popular band here and in Britain easily and if you threw a few other similar radio friendly rock bands on the line up it would sell.

Stereophonics are surely the perfect example of this,awful band who at the time were incredibly popular and overplayed,lumped on with another bunch of radio friendly acts and bobs your uncle.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

The fact that KOL are being talked about fro slane just shows how mainstream they are, if you have any thoughts they are anything other than a pop band you're delusional, They started out well but the change after album number 2 was huge and has continued right through to their recent album which is a huge mainstream success. To my ears they are turning into a modern day bon jovi.

Something worse than 'i hate them because they're popular' is an ' OMG best band eva, don't dare slag em off' fan boi's rulz.

With a few more popular support acts they'd sell slane no problem

And david gray would have as much chacne as selling out slane as headliner as i would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

According to Henry Mount Charles there will be no Slane Concert this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Yes. He's on the Marian Finnucane show on RTE1 at the moment and has confirmed that it will not happen this year. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

ollaetta wrote: »
    Yes. He's on the Marian Finnucane show on RTE1 at the moment and has confirmed that it will not happen this year. :(

That will keep all the old timers happy - In case KOL were playing:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭prunudo

ollaetta wrote: »

Thats a pity, did he give any reason why he is not going ahead with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭fluke

jvan wrote: »
    Thats a pity, did he give any reason why he is not going ahead with it?

Probably because an advisor said get the Kings Of Leon, they're the only band that could sell Slane out! So he thought about it for a second and then told the advisor to **** off.

But in the end it was he who ****ed off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

fluke wrote: »
    Probably because an advisor said get the Kings Of Leon, they're the only band that could sell Slane out! So he thought about it for a second and then told the advisor to **** off.

But in the end it was he who ****ed off!

Yeah thats exactly why that was:rolleyes::rolleyes:

He didn't want to make money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭fluke

Manc-Red wrote: »
    Yeah thats exactly why that was:rolleyes::rolleyes:

He didn't want to make money.

Joke mate ;)

so if no slane for the kings i say it will be 2 gigs in marley or one in puncherstown

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

so if no slane for the kings i say it will be 2 gigs in marley or one in puncherstown

Id say Marley Park of they play. Punchestown would be way to big

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

Yeah I guess after Henry Mountcharles claimed to have a red hot act lined up, that something fell through, he said in the interview that he just couldn't find the right act to play,

On a positive note he said that he was in talks with a band last Thursday for to play next year, He said next year will be a major celebration as he will be celebrating his 60th birthday and also the 30th anniversary of Slane,

He then what seemed to me as dropping a hint, after talking about his birthday and the Slane anniversary he said that Glastonbury have U2 lined up to play the Glastonbury 40th anniversary this year, I can't remember exactly what he said, but I remember thinking a few times throughout the interview that he has U2 in mind for next year, it would make sense been as U2 have announced and stressed despite a pretty much full European tour there will be no Irish date this year,

He also said that despite heavy speculation that he never had McCartney in mind for this year, He also said he was approached at the AC/DC gig at Puncherstown to get them to headline, but he had already set his mind on Oasis that year,

So there ye go no Slane this year :( but something special for next year!:),

Lord

stop calling that ****** LORD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

no slane this year just annouced

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

but1er wrote: »
    no slane this year just annouced

Thanks for breaking that news :rolleyes: hehehe.

A bit early to be speculating, but I reckon U2 will do Slane next year, as I said above I got the impression from the Henry Mount Charles interview this morning that he is trying to get U2, he may even have them booked! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Thanks for breaking that news :rolleyes: hehehe.

A bit early to be speculating, but I reckon U2 will do Slane next year, as I said above I got the impression from the Henry Mount Charles interview this morning that he is trying to get U2, he may even have them booked! :)

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn. Mountcharles should stop doing gigs in Slane......the place is seriously outdated as a music venue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭somethingwitty

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn. Mountcharles should stop doing gigs in Slane......the place is seriously outdated as a music venue.

How can somewhere be outdated as a music venue?!! Surely if gigs have been held at Slane for over 20 years then there is something good about the place!
    I'd be sad to see an end to Slane, its a unique and beautiful place for a concert.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭keeponrockin

As per usual the After Hours crowd give their own "Unique" take on Slane 2010..made me laugh anyway..

Post 11 from Sizzler lol:D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055873659&page=3

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

So even if there was going to be a Slane this year all they had planned was ****ing Oasis!

Jesus Christ, surely there has to be something he could have done, did he not think "oh, they headlined in 2009 AND they're broken up so I'll approach ANOTHER band?!"

Absolute farce, after promising a Slane, and now taking it away...and Guns N Roses are playing England the week the proposed festival would have been alongside everyone else at LNR

Least the one good thing is there will be no more talk of Kings of Leon, thank Christ

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

So even if there was going to be a Slane this year all they had planned was ****ing Oasis!

Jesus Christ, surely there has to be something he could have done, did he not think "oh, they headlined in 2009 AND they're broken up so I'll approach ANOTHER band?!"

?

Advertisement