Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slane 2010 rumours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

So even if there was going to be a Slane this year all they had planned was ****ing Oasis!

Jesus Christ, surely there has to be something he could have done, did he not think "oh, they headlined in 2009 AND they're broken up so I'll approach ANOTHER band?!"

Absolute farce, after promising a Slane, and now taking it away...and Guns N Roses are playing England the week the proposed festival would have been alongside everyone else at LNR

Least the one good thing is there will be no more talk of Kings of Leon, thank Christ

My post was a little confusing, I meant Mount Charles was approached to get AC/DC to headline Slane last year, but last year he had to turn them down because he had Oasis lined up,

As for this year he didn't say who he had in mind,
    Oasis are now split up and there is no talk of them getting back together.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Strangely enough there doesn't seem to be many "big" options to choose from this season. The amount of outdoor concerts this summer is significantly low compared to other years, we're already into April and besides the festivals we have Westlife, Paul McCartney, PinK, Green Day and Michael Buble lined up. And Dylan in Limerick, maybe one or two more?

Kings of Leon would be a shoddy headliner for Slane... then again they did have Stereophonics headline one year.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Strangely enough there doesn't seem to be many "big" options to choose from this season. The amount of outdoor concerts this summer is significantly low compared to other years, we're already into April and besides the festivals we have Westlife, Paul McCartney, PinK, Green Day and Michael Buble lined up. And Dylan in Limerick, maybe one or two more?

Kings of Leon would be a shoddy headliner for Slane... then again they did have Stereophonics headline one year.

Ah come on the Phonics are way better then KOL , yea there isnt many gigs during the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭musicmania

Ah come on the Phonics are way better then KOL , yea there isnt many gigs during the summer

I was at that gig and it was good. I was really sick at the time and had spent the day panned out on a blow up chair which came in handy to stand on when they came on stage :D Nickleback done support for them and were excellent, way better than when they supported Bon Jovi in Croke Park a few years later! I'd never rate the Phonics as legends but back then they were really good and worth going to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

I thought that Stereophonics were brutal that year! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭flas

being honest its for the better kol arent playing,they seriously need to go away for a few years and start writing some good music again, compare them from start of the decade to the end and their like 2 different bands!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭robz150

AC/DC WILL be playing Slane in September :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭akenny01

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

yay when do tickets go on sale *jk*

Starting early for 2011

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

for god sake . . . . . getting bored of them now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

A V A wrote: »
    for god sake . . . . . getting bored of them now

I'm not, but I need a great Slane, as opposed to the appalling one's we've had for the last decade....something like the Rolling Stones, David Bowie or the calibre of Queen, that's the kind of Slane we need

I'm not, but I need a great Slane, as opposed to the appalling one's we've had for the last decade....something like the Rolling Stones, David Bowie or the calibre of Queen, that's the kind of Slane we need

You do know The Stones headlined in 2007 right? :confused:

But yeah I agree with you Slane has been v hit and miss in recent years.
    Are AC/DC actually playing or is this a joke?
    I thought it would have been U2!

Well since next year its a big anniversary of Slane and Mount Charles he will aim for someone big

AC/DC aint anyway, And probably never will. there finished touring now for a few years at least

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

With U2 fnishing their US tour by late June 2011 (as announced today), just in time to headline Glasto (ie. not part of the 360 tour with the claw - a totally different show in a field just like Slane) - I think it's likely they will be playing Slane in and around the same period seeing as they will already have the Glasto show prepared (assume they do it of course). And with no Irish dates on the tour this year it would make sence seeing as they played the 20th anniversary as well a in 2001. I'd personally love Bruce to play though but that is unlikely until 2012 with the E-St Band. And with thr Stones after playing last time I doubt they wll repeat it so soon - so in terms of seriously huge live acts suitable for the big 30th anniversary - I think U2 are the favourites. I'd be very suprised if ACDC do it for the 30th. I wouldnt be suprised if there was a huge line-up with Kings Of Leon and Muse playing as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Yellowledbetter

Would have to agree with the above,my money is on U2 with a very strong supporting line up,Henry will want to mark the big 30 in style

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Yellowledbetter

Would have to agree with the above,my money is on U2 with a very strong supporting line up.Henry will want to mark the big 30 in style

Sorry for the double post,laptop seems to have some Gremlins!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

U2 - how imaginitive. :rolleyes:

Sick to death of them.

RonMexico wrote: »
    U2 - how imaginitive. :rolleyes:

Sick to death of them.

If your feeling sick of them now good luck for when the hyping really starts,
    and when Bono explodes into action, best venue ever! our new stage can fly to the moon! etc etc,

I really like U2 I just wish they would cool down on the over hyping and just get out there and prove it, especially after there Croke Park gigs last year which I though were very hit and miss, especially after the great shows of 2005 in the same place,

You do know The Stones headlined in 2007 right? :confused:

I know, I'd forgotten about that, I actually wanted to see them...but tickets were too expensive for me at the time to justify

• Advertisement

I know, I'd forgotten about that, I actually wanted to see them...but tickets were too expensive for me at the time to justify

Yeah I know really expensive gig, but they put on a great show, I hate all this **** about oh The Stones, oh they've been doing the greatest hits show for the last 20 years! I don't see it that way at all, for me the set was well varied, well maybe there should have been more songs off of A Bigger Bang played, but it was still a good mix of old and new tunes,

Getting tickets was twice as sick for me, as I got screwed on Ebay and had to go get new tickets, and then when I got down to Slane all I could see was people desperately trying to sell tickets for next to nothing! I got offered a GA ticket for €30 on the way in, it was then that I stopped worrying about gigs selling out when they go onsale, if you wanna go badly enough you can IMO get tickets to any gig an hour or two before a show for face value or even cheaper,

If your feeling sick of them now good luck for when the hyping really starts,
    and when Bono explodes into action, best venue ever! our new stage can fly to the moon! etc etc,

I really like U2 I just wish they would cool down on the over hyping and just get out there and prove it, especially after there Croke Park gigs last year which I though were very hit and miss, especially after the great shows of 2005 in the same place,

Agreed - big U2 fan myself but the Monday Croker gig was dissapointing. They seemed to be going through the motions, but considering how brilliant they were at Slane in 01 I'd love them to play again. They are far far better without all the extra effects etc, and put much more effort in. Having said that I'd love to see the 360 show at the Aviva but I doubt that will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Ouravit

The AC DC rumour wont go away. Im hearing they are playing sometime in September. Anyone elso hearing the same ?????

lol.. if they were playing september it would be announced now and tickets would already be on sale

akenny01 wrote: »
    lol.. if they were playing september it would be announced now and tickets would already be on sale

Its already been announced there will be no Slane concert this year,
    I presume everyone is talking about next year!

My money is on U2 anyway!

yeah it will probably be u2, definately not AC/DC , they've said there done now

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭musicmania

Its already been announced there will be no Slane concert this year,
    I presume everyone is talking about next year!

My money is on U2 anyway!

Don't get your hopes up as U2 are having the postphoned US/Canada gigs next summer so logistics mightn't allow for them to perform in Slane.

A mate of mine said he heard on the radio there were rumours that Robbie Williams and Take That are being lined up to headline Slane next year, as well as Glasto (along with U2 and Radiohead). I hope that is just a joke as I can think of few things worse. Granted it has to be said Williams more than proved his critics wrong when he headlined Slane in the 90's - I was among the 80,000 frankly shocked at how good he was, but back then he saw himself as more of a rock star than a pop star I think and his music was very Brit-pop/Oasis influenced - he even did covers of Oasis, Blur and The Clash if I recall - which is why it came accross as being more like a charasmatic hugely energetic showman frontman of a talented band as oppose to a generic choreographed pop act. And of course the support helped with the Happy Mondays, Stereophonics and Placebo. However Take That headlining would be so wrong words cannot begin the decribe. They are about as pop as it gets, judging by their live show I watched on ITV last year it would be hard to find a less appropriote act for Slane - very OTT cheesy pop show with endless choreographed routines, non stop costume changes, huge dependence on special effects etc - it would be much worse than Madonna was and Henry would be insane to choose them. And unlike with the Robbie year - the support would probably have to be the likes of JLS, Boyzone, Westlife or even Jedward.:mad: It doesnt bear thinking about.:rolleyes:

SB-08 wrote: »
    A mate of mine said he heard on the radio there were rumours that Robbie Williams and Take That are being lined up to headline Slane next year, as well as Glasto (along with U2 and Radiohead). I hope that is just a joke as I can think of few things worse. Granted it has to be said Williams more than proved his critics wrong when he headlined Slane in the 90's - I was among the 80,000 frankly shocked at how good he was, but back then he saw himself as more of a rock star than a pop star I think and his music was very Brit-pop/Oasis influenced - he even did covers of Oasis, Blur and The Clash if I recall - which is why it came accross as being more like a charasmatic hugely energetic showman frontman of a talented band as oppose to a generic choreographed pop act. And of course the support helped with the Happy Mondays, Stereophonics and Placebo. However Take That headlining would be so wrong words cannot begin the decribe. They are about as pop as it gets, judging by their live show I watched on ITV last year it would be hard to find a less appropriote act for Slane - very OTT cheesy pop show with endless choreographed routines, non stop costume changes, huge dependence on special effects etc - it would be much worse than Madonna was and Henry would be insane to choose them. And unlike with the Robbie year - the support would probably have to be the likes of JLS, Boyzone, Westlife or even Jedward.:mad: It doesnt bear thinking about.:rolleyes:

That would be horrible but i think TT are more of an stadium band at this stage due to the fact that a lot of the fans would be bringing mothers and they would want to sit down

• Advertisement

That would be horrible but i think TT are more of an stadium band at this stage due to the fact that a lot of the fans would be bringing mothers and they would want to sit down

I can't see Take That going for Slane

I also think Robbie going back with them is a mistake, he was so much better on his own, and stole the show at Live 8....only possibly Pink Floyd did a better job on the night

And I do think, however, that TT's material has at least gotten better since their relaunch...they are at least putting some forethought into their songs...having said that, they're still not my taste and I just cannot stand nostalgia pop crap from the 90's

Speaking of which, what's going to happen when all the people who packed Croke Park for Robbie Williams go and see Take That...he's not gonna do any of his solo material so....what's the point?

Advertisement