Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

most intaimaditing dog breed

Options
  • 03-11-2009 2:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

what wold you say is the scarit dog breed to inflict fear into people i have head a lot of dogs mentioned and owne quiet a few different breeds and it seems to me big dogs are of quiet bettertemperment than smaller ones

what are your opinions what in big dog breeds is the most fear inflicting dog an why

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Anything with a total tosser attached to the other end of the lead it's on.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

DoubleFacePalm.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

actually may i refine this, "Anything with a total tosser as the owner who doesn't control his dog, letting it run free during the day while out at work or walking it off lead without full control"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

DBCyc wrote: »
    DoubleFacePalm.jpg

I agree!

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

Paul91 wrote: »
    actually may i refine this, "Anything with a total tosser as the owner who doesn't control his dog, letting it run free during the day while out at work or walking it off lead without full control"

Agreed
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

Agree also. I usually look at the owner and the owner's interaction with the dog, rather than the dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭votejohn

i wouldnt have a fear of any particular breed, its all about the body language of the approaching dog, and if I were so see any dog running at me snarling i think id prob be a bit intimidated!!!!

Also, those owners who pick up their dogs to "protect it from big monster dogs", if those dogs are left on the ground they tend to be quite snappy as their owner has taught them that there is something to fear from other dogs.

I am always much happier to see an approaching dog off leash as they are, in my experience, much much much less likely to growl or start a fight than leashed dogs that feel trapped.

ever noticed that when you have your dog on a lead and a dog of lead approach's that's when problems start, last two evenings i've had mine on the lead's and been approached by "off lead" dogs, they come running up and get right in front of you so you can't move, then the owner toddles up and says "oh he's only a pup having a sniff" while their dog bounds around!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

votejohn wrote: »
    I am always much happier to see an approaching dog off leash as they are, in my experience, much much much less likely to growl or start a fight than leashed dogs that feel trapped.
    Not me.
    I'm with Paul91 on this one.
    At least when the other dog is on-lead it cant rush up into your dogs face thus starting aggro with dogs who don't like that sort of introduction (my lad included).

I can control my boy on the lead. I cant control your dog if its off lead.

im out walking dogs all day every day (full time dog walker), and ive never had an off leash dog show any of my dogs any agro, the growling / snarling I see is when dogs are being pulled away from my lot, the dog being pulled away feels threatened as their owner is telling them there is a danger.

if dogs are on leash, the ideal situation is if their owner lets them say a quick hello on a loose leash, and then is CALLED away, not pulled. Often dogs will happily be saying hello, then when their owner pulls them away they begin to growl.

thats my experience anyway !

• Advertisement

votejohn wrote: »
    im out walking dogs all day every day (full time dog walker), and ive never had an off leash dog show any of my dogs any agro, the growling / snarling I see is when dogs are being pulled away from my lot, the dog being pulled away feels threatened as their owner is telling them there is a danger.

if dogs are on leash, the ideal situation is if their owner lets them say a quick hello on a loose leash, and then is CALLED away, not pulled. Often dogs will happily be saying hello, then when their owner pulls them away they begin to growl.

thats my experience anyway !

again i think it comes down to the dog and the owner, my comment was about dogs of lead who aren't under proper control

I agree, its totally down to the owner. actually, now that you mention it, if i saw a group of kids jumping around and up to no good with a dog off leash i would probably be a bit wary.

I get you as well about the dogs not being under control. If a dog was bounding towards me with their owner roaring at it without the dog paying any attention to the owner, then i'd be extra alert. I suppose im just lucky that over the two years I cant think of any serious situations that have occurred!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

But a major problem can occur if you have a dog who may not be too fond of other dogs that you have on a lead under control, because you know your dog. One of my boys, Diesel isn't great with other dogs (he's improved loads as he's got older, he's been sharing his house with 12 others recently with no problems). However, we were out with the scooter a few weeks ago, him in a harness pulling something, attached to another of my dogs. There's nowhere for him to go to get away from another dog. Two off lead dogs approach, two women behind them nattering away. I stopped the scooter, told my two to stand, which they did. The other two dogs made a beeline for mine. I shouted over at the women that one of my dogs is really bad with other dogs, would they mind calling them back. They called and called and called and the dogs totally ignored them. Diesel was fantastic, he stood there while one of the dogs gave him a sniff all over, and I mean all over. Diesel was growling at him, telling him to go away but the dog was taking no notice. On another day, Diesel may well have just had enough and gone for the dog, luckily on this day he was very patient. Eventually one of the women came and got the dog. No apology or anything though of course. However, if Diesel had gone for her dog, I can just imagine what would have been said.

my worst incident was a rough collie (i nicknamed him satan), lived in the road parallel to where i was, always out loose, had a pop at me and Tyson before, anyway pre work walk round the local playing field, tennis ball game in hand, and here came, growling, teeth out, heckles up after Tyson - whom was never agressive to dogs, after satan took a couple of lunges i though enough was enough and ended up having to hit him to stop him biting Tyson - now i ain't a small chap, at 6' 4" and over 20 stone (rugby/american football/doorman) but having a dog like that going for myself and my dog was not pleasant

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭heno86

unfortunately the general public aren't as rational as the posters here,i have a pitbull named lucy who's great with people and dogs,however some people are intimidated and will cross over etc. and give me disgusted looks despite the fact that their bichon frise is frantically lunging at and growling at my bewildered dog....i think the general public are fearful of any big dogs ie.rotts,dobies,gsd's,pitbull's etc. despite its behaviour they have been conditioned through the media to fear these dog's

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

heno86 wrote: »
    unfortunately the general public aren't as rational as the posters here,i have a pitbull named lucy who's great with people and dogs,however some people are intimidated and will cross over etc. and give me disgusted looks despite the fact that their bichon frise is frantically lunging at and growling at my bewildered dog....i think the general public are fearful of any big dogs ie.rotts,dobies,gsd's,pitbull's etc. despite its behaviour they have been conditioned through the media to fear these dog's

Can I just say that I'm one of those people who crosses the street cos I don't want my Westie upsetting other people's dogs. He can be a bit confrontational and I don't want him provoking another people's dog so the easiest way for me to control him is to remove him from the situation. I promise I don't throw looks at the other person, as I'm actually mortified that my fella is so contrary sometimes :o I'm convinced he suffers from small dog syndrome.

I have to say though that I always walk him on lead and I hate when off-lead dogs approach us. Recently a woman with a huge Irish wolfhound type mixed with something else asked me to wait on the opposite side of the road as her dog was barrelling towards us. I told her I couldn't trust my guy and I was walking on but her dog got in the way and it wasn't all sniffy sniffy niceness. His stance said it all to me so I picked up my fella but not before I gave out to the woman for allowing her dog off-lead on a busy road. She told me he was grand and I was panicking over nothing to which I replied that its all about appropriate control which she didn't seem to understand!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Some kids are afraid of our puppy and some adults too, he's harmless and friendly typical puppy but you just can't win with some people surpised at the amount of people that avoid him, although more people oo and ahh over him it's ridiculous the reaction some kids have they get it from their parents mostly.

This is as scary and evil as he gets. Agree it's the owners that are attached or allowing their dogs to run riot and misbehave that are the problem. Never ceases to amaze me how many owners blame their dog for their mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

ferret man wrote: »
    what wold you say is the scarit dog breed to inflict fear into people i have head a lot of dogs mentioned and owne quiet a few different breeds and it seems to me big dogs are of quiet bettertemperment than smaller ones

what are your opinions what in big dog breeds is the most fear inflicting dog an why

I tried to bite my tongue, but OP what is the point of this thread? Why would you ask what breed inflicts fear into people? Who is afraid of a particular breed of dog? This is ridiculous :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

OP Why do you want to know this ? If it is for the reason that I suspect then there is one really terrifying dog for you. The Lesser Spotted Mexican Chihuahua !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I guess the OP was looking for some mutilated freak like this

CaneCorsoSecuritySystem1.jpg

looks far less intimidating btw when the ears haven't been hacked off by some idiot
    Cane_Corso__0.jpg

• Advertisement

This would be perfect for anyone asking such a question.

http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww268/discodog_photo/toy_dog.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Discodog wrote: »
    OP Why do you want to know this ? If it is for the reason that I suspect then there is one really terrifying dog for you. The Lesser Spotted Mexican Chihuahua !

Don't underestimate the little Chi, mine can hold her own in a wrestling match with our Rottie ha ha!!! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭B'witched

I have friends who cuddle my GSD's but then hold ME in front of them when my Pom appears :eek: :eek: :eek: (BTW Rightly so :D)

Hey OP how about a rat !. Apparently more people are scared of them than anything else. Perfect to keep in the pocket !

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

Discodog wrote: »
    Hey OP how about a rat !. Apparently more people are scared of them than anything else. Perfect to keep in the pocket !
    that is a good one Peter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Guys seriously if someone asks a genuine question, respond with a genuine answer or don't bother please. If you have issue with a post/OPs post - there's a thing called a report post button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭ferret man

it isnt that funny i was just wondering what the most feared dog was as there are quiet a few people with a fear of certain ones and cross the road baised on its breed alone and was just wondering

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

ferret man wrote: »
    it isnt that funny i was just wondering what the most feared dog was as there are quiet a few people with a fear of certain ones and cross the road baised on its breed alone and was just wondering
    sorry wasnt meaning your question was funny

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

A Pomeranian with a bad owner can be an intimidating dog around, and a rottweiler with a good and responsible owner can be the least intimidating dog around.

• Advertisement
Advertisement