Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switzers, Dublin

Options
  • 03-11-2009 2:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Are there any people out there who used to work in Switzers on Grafton St., Dublin? Or anyone who had an interest in the famous establishment...customers, family etc. who had fond memories of this great Dublin landmark?

There is a new Facebook page called Switzers, Dublin.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=155851809992&v=wall

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

For the benefit of younger viewers, Switzers was located where Brown Thomas is now (on the west side of Grafton Street). Brown Thomas used to be where M&S is now.

BTW - you can still see the Switzers logo on the Wicklow Street side of Brown Thomas.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

They used to always do a good window display at christmas I remember my parents bringing me to see before christmas, that was a long time ago now..

Nick

BTW - you can still see the Switzers logo on the Wicklow Street side of Brown Thomas.
    It just so happens.....

WicklowStreetSwitzerWide.jpg

BT moved across the street in 1995.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I was strolling down grafton St. the day they were bringing the carved lifesize wooden horse across the street from the old BTs to the new one. I also had my camera on me (a Leica too) and have a pic of the four storemen standing with the horse. I've lost the negs since but still have the 6x8 pic. I'll try and dig it up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

Switzers had great Christmas windows, BTs just do "sexy" christmas with mannequins in red lingerie... Many memories of queuing up to see Santa there as a child past the windows with the little puppet scenes!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Used to love the Christmas displays as a kid. I always remember my next door neighbour working there as a security guard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

yoyo wrote: »
    They used to always do a good window display at christmas I remember my parents bringing me to see before christmas, that was a long time ago now..

Nick

I too have fond memories of being brought in to town late at night coming up to Xmas and being shown the window displays. There was another shop that had them, might've been Arnotts? It's all gone now though and Xmas is now this sexy sleazy Santa in a thong and a push up bra with a six-pack :(

Did they ever have a Santa in Switzers? If so I may have gone to see one there. Also, I remember some giant ride you climbed into and he swirled around and you were in Santa's sleigh or something and you got some kind of present or a colouring book at the end or something. Aaahhh... the memories, the good aul days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

humberklog wrote: »
    a Leica too

Woohooo! Look at you, a Leica in 1995!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    Did they ever have a Santa in Switzers?

yes they had santa in switzers! we would always go and see santa on christmas eve! imagine making todays children wait that long, with santa arriving earlier every year!!!

i still have my "i saw santa at switzers" badge.. we always went to captain americas for dinner after too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Linku wrote: »
    Switzers had great Christmas windows, BTs just do "sexy" christmas with mannequins in red lingerie... Many memories of queuing up to see Santa there as a child past the windows with the little puppet scenes!

I remember Brown Thomas doing christmassy windows before. Wasn't last Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    Did they ever have a Santa in Switzers?
    :eek:

The REAL Santa was at Switzers! I met him every year as a child! :pac:

Absolutely loved the windows and the queue to see him. One of my favourite memories of childhood.

BendiBus wrote: »
    :eek:

The REAL Santa was at Switzers! I met him every year as a child! :pac:

Absolutely loved the windows and the queue to see him. One of my favourite memories of childhood.

I couldn't remember if it was in Switzers or one of the other shops. I've of the age where when I started going to town without my parents Switzers was long gone but I was only ever brought to town a few times and usually at Xmas, and usually at night to see the window displays. I remember queing for hrs to see the Santa there though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Switzers was a great store, and a loss to Dublin. And as mentioned, they had the best christmas window display in the country, and it was a treat to go in there every year as a child. I'm sure I still have a 'I've seen Santa at Switzers' badge somewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭face2face

Used to work in Roland Cartier shoes in Switzers at Christmas when at college. That was the height of designer shoes back in those days! Abiding memory is punters banging on the windows after closing time on Christmas Eve, desperately trying to get back in to get shoes for Christmas Day. Also being brought in on St. Stephen's Day to unload the containers of crap brought in for the sales. Best part of the whole experience? Off to Macs after work (where Lillies is now for the young people):p

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭TheScribbler

I wonder if anyone can help me here? I'm writing an article on Switzers and I am trying to trace any old photographs or copies of press advertisements that I could use to accompany it. Can anyone help me here?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Oh the nostalgia...!

I used to love going to see the window display at Christmas when I was a kid! We'd make a night of it and stand outside looking at it for ages and then go to Eddie Rockets on South Anne Street, it was always one of the best nights of the year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

I wonder if anyone can help me here? I'm writing an article on Switzers and I am trying to trace any old photographs or copies of press advertisements that I could use to accompany it. Can anyone help me here?

Thanks
    Did you try the Dublin City Library and Archive ,138 - 144 Pearse Street, Dublin 2 Tel: +353 - 1 - 6744999?

email:dublinstudies[at]dublincity.ie or cityarchives[at]dublincity.ie

If not, they might be able to steer you in the right direction.

Brown Thomas are unveiling their window display November 16th. It'll be "brown" alright....

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Aussie Sean

sugarman wrote: »
    Ah i remember Switzers as a kid, mainly for Santa and the brilliant window displays(I think Clearys used to do kool ones too, like 12 days of xmas or something?) . They used to go right around the side as far as Tower Records and so would the que into the side door to see Santa.

I would always be brought the first day every year as it was either on or very close to my birthday. They always came up of different ways for him to arrive, the only one i can remember though is him beeing brought in on a sleigh lowered from a crane. I remember thinking he was the real santa too becuase it was an actual old guy with white hair and a beard and wore a much better suit than any other, im nearly sure he went to Arnots after there too.

Switzers was a loss to Dublin, what was the story with it anyway, why did it close?

As far as I know Brown Thomas bought out the whole Switzer Group which included such famous names around the country as Moons of Galway,Cashs of Cork and Todds of Limerick and eventually rebranded them all.

Don't think I ever saw Santa at Switzers,it was always the Clearys one for our family. Must ask my Mam why that was.

Sean

• Advertisement

As far as I know Brown Thomas bought out the whole Switzer Group which included such famous names around the country as Moons of Galway,Cashs of Cork and Todds of Limerick and eventually rebranded them all.

Don't think I ever saw Santa at Switzers,it was always the Clearys one for our family. Must ask my Mam why that was.

Sean
    Ah probably the aul civil war or Dublin north/southside divide or something :p

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭TheScribbler

Jeckle

Thanks for your suggestion. I will follow it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nanak

Don't think I ever saw Santa at Switzers, it was always the Clearys one for our family. Must ask my Mam why that was.

Chances are, Sean, that was because everything in Switzer's cost at least four to ten times as much as in Clerys.

I well remember warning friends from abroad against shopping in any store whose prices were shown in both Punts and Dollars ... sure sign of visitor rip-offs back then ... and Switzer's lead the pack on that one!

Wow, is this thread making me feel old! I was working at an Ad Agency writing Arnott's print ads and commercials when you were all in Grafton Street, pressing your little red noses against Switzer's windows!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Doherty's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Colpriz

ah the memories..yes they certainly had the best Xmas dispaly..such excitment I had as a child waiting to go to town that evening with my parents...off topic but does anyone remember Cleary's christmas plastic bag with a huge santa on the front and back? Christ it just sticks in my imagination..such a great childhood memory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Julie

I know this is an old thread but Switzers popped in to my head for some reason today and it brought me here!! My stongest memories are of course of the christmas displays too. I'm from 'down the country' and every year we'd take a trip to Dublin in the run up to Christmas and the highlight would be the Switzers windows. There'd be lines of people 3 or 4 deep trying to see the windows so it was often hard to get a peak. The windows were always really magical and it really made Christmas for me. Then BT took over and replaced the windows with some sophisticated adult **** and I HATED them for it. Even though I was an adult by then, for me, BT stole christmas and I've hated that store and that brand ever since. They ripped the heart out of Grafton St and Christmassy Dublin and I'll never forgive them.

For some reason, I also associate Switzers with those really curvey long neck models of heads that they use to display hats. They must have had a significant hat department because if I think of the word 'Switzers', the image of a black long necked bust appears in my head. Maybe it's because they didn't have these 'down the country' and they looked really sophisticated to a wee country kid, but they really stick out in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Switzers Christmas windows. Good memories. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Clodagh84

There is a Switzers Staff Reunion planned for Feb 2012. If you are an ex-Switzer`s employee, email me through here, or go to the Switzers facebook page to get details!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Didn't Switzers open a branch in Henry Street opposite Arnotts back in the early 1980s ? Or am I imagining things :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Clodagh84

Yes, there was a Switzers in Henry Street! A much smaller one than the original!

Advertisement