Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't get a bank account!

Options
  • 03-11-2009 2:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭

I've just tried applying for a bank account in Brisbane, as I might be starting a jo in the next week or so. Yeah I know, better late then never though! Anyway, I've been refused as I don't have a secondary form of ID. Apparently a passport isn't good enough :rolleyes: I don't have:

A student card
    National card
    Driver's licence (I don't drive)
    Any photo ID

Any ideas? Can I set up a credit union account or something instead? If not I'm in trouble :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

How long have you been in Australia? If you are recently arrived then you may be exempt from the requirement for a second document. If not then you may have to jump through some hoops like getting a QLD 18+ Card or some other form of ID. Do you have proof of address?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

What bank did you try to open the account with?

I arrived in Sydney so opened one with Westpac, although they are a NSW bank they have branches in Brisbane. All I needed was my passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

That's bull tbh. I work in bank and a primary form of ID is all that is required, unless that particular account has some form of overdraft facility. I know for a fact that BankWest will open one no bother with a passport or driver's licence.

Maire2009 wrote: »
    What bank did you try to open the account with?

I arrived in Sydney so opened one with Westpac, although they are a NSW bank they have branches in Brisbane. All I needed was my passport.
    I can't remember if it's 6 weeks or 8 weeks that the bank can accept a passport or driver's licence as 100 points of ID. After that the usual requirements apply. The banks have Anti-Money Laundering regulations to comply with.

Edit: Confirmed that it was six weeks for passport only under the old rules when I arrived in 2008. There are new rules from 2009 which may change this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Go to another bank, that's BS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

I signed with ANZ from back home, but when I arrived to properly open it I needed a 2nd form, think it was passport and my Irish ATM or credit card.

Nothing more ridiciloius than this points of ID malarky. Typically Aussie :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Sidney77

shane

try NAB, i opened with them just after arriving and all they needed was a passport,, might be worth a try, or if you have a letter or something thats been posted to you

shane86 wrote: »
    I signed with ANZ from back home, but when I arrived to properly open it I needed a 2nd form, think it was passport and my Irish ATM or credit card.

Nothing more ridiciloius than this points of ID malarky. Typically Aussie :rolleyes:
    As opposed to the Irish identification requirements? ;)
    Sidney77 wrote: »
    shane

try NAB, i opened with them just after arriving and all they needed was a passport,, might be worth a try, or if you have a letter or something thats been posted to you
    That was only within 6 weeks of arrival/visa activation. And it may have changed under the new rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Never mind, I'll just have them dump the money into my girlfriend's bank account :rolleyes:

Confab wrote: »
    Never mind, I'll just have them dump the money into my girlfriend's bank account :rolleyes:

Why didn't you open one? :confused:

http://www.bankwest.com.au/Legal_Info/Customer_Identification_Requirements/index.aspx
    If you are a new customer to Bankwest, before we can open your account, we will need to confirm your identity by completing a customer identification check.

The Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorism Financing Act requires Bankwest to identify you before opening a new account or becoming a signatory to an existing account. The information we collect from you will be verified by the information contained in the documents you produce in support of your application.

To verify the details you have provided you will need to either:

1) produce an original copy of a Primary Document with a photograph; or

2) produce an original copy of a Primary Document without a photograph plus a Secondary Document.

Depending on where you live, you can;

* Western Australia Customers
    Take your identification documents into any Bankwest branch
    * Eastern States Customers
    Take your identification documents and the applicable Signatory Identification Check Form below into any Bankwest branch or Australia Post Bank@Post outlet

Primary Documents with a Photograph -

* Australian Passport (Current or < 2 years expired) ;
    * Current Foreign Passport;
    * Current Australian Drivers License;
    * Proof of Age Card issued under law of an Australian State or Terrtory.

I've highlighted the relevant part.

• Advertisement

Fair play to BankWest. I didn't realise they were so lax. That looks like a good option for you Confab. You get access to Commonwealth Bank ATM network and high interest rates too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

so if i am reading this correctly, you dont need a local address to open a bank a/c?

lg123 wrote: »
    so if i am reading this correctly, you dont need a local address to open a bank a/c?

Correct. Statements etc can be posted overseas. The only problem you will have is if you have ordered a card to go with the account as they need to be sent somewhere. To get around this just make your postal address the address of the branch and have it sent there. Then just call in and collect it.

Advertisement