Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Palm Pre V Blackberry

Options
  • 03-11-2009 3:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Hope someone out there can help.

We use Blackberry's in the officem for email mostly. Is the new Palm Pre better then the blackberry or how does it compare?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Blackberry handles email in a more cost effective and prompt manner. Pre is far superior in every other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭defib

We use POP3 accounts, can we still collect email how how does it work on the Palm Pre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

defib

I just came into this forum to open a thread about the palm pre when I saw your question.

I had a blackberry (8900 I think) for the last 6 months. I didn't use it for anything too fancy, Phone, Camera, Work E-Mail (via pop mail) and texting. It was a great phone. Very very easy to use. Very quick. Unfortunately, it came to a sad end last week due to a combination of falling in a sink of water and falling off scaffolding onto a concrete floor a few days later.

So I went into the O2 shop last week and it was going to cost me around €200 to replace it with upgrades we had available on the account (its a business ac with 4 phones)

Anyway, I saw the Palm Pre there and was told I could have that for €49 so I thought how bad.... I'll give it a shot.

Let me tell you.... what a freggin mistake. I have been using it for two weeks now and I am growinig to hate it more and more and more every day.

It is simply a horrific phone. Everey day I find something new I hate about it.

It is the most cumbersome piece of muck I ever had the misfortune to use. I do appreciate that it is a new phone to me and a new OS etc and it will take a bit of time to get used to. but it is just so user unfriendly it is shocking.

I went to the Blackberry after years of standard phones and I had no problem with it. Even my wife who is a bit of a technophobe found it very easy to use.

So far (and I say so far, because the list is growing every day) the 4 things I hate most about the pre in no particular order are :

1) It is as slow as a wet week. You tap something on the screen and you are sitting looking at it waiting for a few seconds for something to happen.

2) There are no Contact Groups or Text Message Templates. I send out a text at least once a week to about 20 lads about soccer. Every time I want to do it I have to creat a new text message and add each contact one by one. I cannot create a contact group or I cannot create a template with all the ames already stored in it

3) In E-Mail there is no "Mark all as read" or "Delete all" function. So if you have already read your mail on your PC, you still have to go into them in the Palm and read them one by one if you don't want them to keep showing up as new. Also, when you delete them (one by one) you have to delete them all again (one by one) from the Thrash

4) It doesn't come with any software for your PC. I had the blackberry syncing with My contacts and calander in Outlook no problem. The only thing the Pre will sync with is Google or freggin Facebook. I don't facking use Google. I just want to sync with MS Outlook.

All in all it is an utter utter utter ball og muck

I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole

I am now looking on E-Bay etc to see if I can pick up a blackberry like my old one (out of my own money) to use.

P.S. Did I mention. I HATE HATE HATE HATE the Palm Pre

defib wrote: »
    We use POP3 accounts, can we still collect email how how does it work on the Palm Pre?

Blackberry pushes emails onto the phone when they arrive in your inbox. Pre looks for them every 10 mins minimum - eating into your data allowance and using your battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭defib

Thanks for the information.

I guess we will stick to the blackberrys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭hadit2here

i have this phone (Palm Pre) nearly a year, i think it is great. I get a full day out of the battery. I listen to radio alot in the morning travelling to work.

I have a touchstone for charging, which is class.

Only downside for me is that Flash is not yet released, even though it is working on it (youtube clips available of this) .... Adobe say they are still testing ....

I have several email accounts set up on it, sync.ing with Gmail/Gmail calendar is great.
    They way alerts/calendar reminders pop up is nice too

It has proper multitasking. Os updates are sent down OTA (over the air). App updates the same.

It does lack a few apps, but OpenDoc is suppose to be on the way. My favorite app (apart from radio app) is one called Squeeze Control, which I can use as a remote for my SqueezeBox Boom(this is an internet radio from Logitech which I would also highly recommend)

Also I can connect the Pre to my Samsung Home Theatre system, using bluetooth, play internet radio(using wireless to router) or MP3 on the phone, and feed the sound to the Samsung.

I am thinking about upgrading to the Palm Pre Plus, but not sure. O2 staff in Ireland are not very good at markteting the Pre, many havent a clue about it, and they cannot demo it properly

Palm has been bought over by HP now and new hardware is on the way

The Palm Pre Plus is due to be replaced, apparently 5-6 new models will be released in the near future. Its a shame this OS never took off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,253 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

BnA take a look on adverts too, I got a brand new unopened bold 9000 for 150 there a few weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭boarder777

BnA can you pm your details? I think I can help you to get rid of palm pre and get blackberry.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭hadit2here

Bluefoam wrote: »
    The Palm Pre Plus is due to be replaced, apparently 5-6 new models will be released in the near future. Its a shame this OS never took off.

HP are going to put WebOS on some of its soon to be released PalmPads

• Advertisement
Advertisement