Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

antivirus

• 03-11-2009 3:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭

hi i just bought a new laptop and was wondering what is the best antivirus it doesn't matter if i have to pay for it or if its free as i dont know anything about computers at all i just love using the internet so i just want to keep my laptop working proper and an antivirus that is easy to use would help so much ps i tried google and it seem for free antivirus i have to use more than one application sorry dont mean to sound so stupid but i know nothing at all about computers any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

i use avast, available for free at www.avast.com

In our house we have 2 laptops and i desktop and Avast is on all of them, never had a problem at all........AND IT'S FREE :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

heya, try avast as the antivirus, and malwarebytes for spyware etc. both are easy to use and free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭chillin_penguin

i use avg free and spybot both are free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭smilerf

i use avira malwarebytes superantispyware and ccleaner

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

AVG is starting to get very bloated from what I've heard. Last time I used avast it made a stupid noise every time you tried to do something (even hovering over a button if i remember correctly) which is not only a stupid design choice but also really annoying. Avira is much better but it still has it's faults. It decides to play a stupid noise everytime it picks up something suspect. And for some reason the "remember this action" tickbox (used whenever it detects something suspicious), doesn't seem to do what it says. It still annoys you about the same thing over and over again despite you telling it to ignore it. Despite it's minor annoyances, I'd recommend it over avg and avast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

microsoft security essentials is fantastic, spots load of stuff, (avg doesn't see ..sality/virut/fake antivirii ), doesn't slow your pc even the slightest bit, never puts a message on the screen unless it detects a virus

only thing i find is when it finds a virus it can take it 2mins to clean the pc, and a lot of the time it recommends a reboot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

i use ESET NOD, ccleaner and malwarebytes. tune up utilities also a good shout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Avast here never had a prob :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 janchi

Hm, I would say that now few years later since the post, the game is different. Antivirus market is changing the same way the threats are. Today I would use only few products out there: K7 Computing and maybe Avira. Google their products and try first. My advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056280359

Also, please don't pull up two year old threads.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement