Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

bible study cork

• 03-11-2009 3:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

are there any groups in the cork area that meet to read and study/discuss the bible, both ot and nt, for the purpose of questioning and learning and not to promote a particular sect or denomination

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

jeremiah c wrote: »
    are there any groups in the cork area that meet to read and study/discuss the bible, both ot and nt, for the purpose of questioning and learning and not to promote a particular sect or denomination
    Have you tried:
    http://www.corkbaptist.org/

They will be promoting Jesus Christ, of course, but hopefully not their denomination. I'm not sure if their Bible Class is interactive, but if not they should be able to point you to what you are after in a smaller group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I've heard that Calvary Cork is quite good:
    http://www.calvarycork.org/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

jeremiah c wrote: »

I think you're asking for the impossible.

If the Bible Study is being conducted by people who have some knowledge of the Bible, then they will have concluded that some practices are biblical and some are not biblical. Therefore they will most likely be biased towards those versions of Christianity which they see as being consistent with a correct biblical interpretation. To anyone who does not agree with their interpretation that will then appear to be promoting a sect or denomination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

PDN wrote: »
    I think you're asking for the impossible.
    If the Bible Study is being conducted by people who have some knowledge of the Bible, then they will have concluded that some practices are biblical and some are not biblical. Therefore they will most likely be biased towards those versions of Christianity which they see as being consistent with a correct biblical interpretation. To anyone who does not agree with their interpretation that will then appear to be promoting a sect or denomination.

Not necessarily. A Bible Study group doesn't have to be conducted as a Bible lecture. I thought a study group was people coming together to share ideas and perspectives and interpretations and not just to listen to someone else's? If that's what people want they should just go to church services.

My OH (RC) attends a bi-weekly study group which was organised and is mainly attended by protestant Korean Free Church members, no problems. They discuss the Bible as they understand it and apply it, they also discuss theology etc. What they don't encourage is 'our church says x, so that must be true'. Tbh she finds it much more beneficial than attending a Catholic only study group and vice versa. Different approaches and all that. Surely there has to be some non-denominational groups in Ireland?

Advertisement