Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dyke road

Options
  • 03-11-2009 4:30am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 204 ✭✭

is it only me or is there cracks beginning to appear on the bridge as you drive under it on the dyke road, and seems every time i drive under it, it feels lower

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

its being like that for ages..its got a mind of its own. i no what you mean though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

blond45 wrote: »
    its being like that for ages..its got a mind of its own. i no what you mean though.

MAybe its the Griffilo underneath, getting too big for that bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Haven't passed by there for a while but will keep an eye out for cracks the next time I pass.

Interesting you say that it seems to be getting lower. I heard before that it is sinking!!

Imagine if this bridge collapsed; the city would completely shutdown!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I tried to drive under it in a hired van a few weeks ago. I was coming from Menlo. The van cleared the warning barrier but when I was getting really close I realised I wasn't going to make it. Just stopped in time. The van was a couple of inches too high. I reversed back under the warning barrier without touching it and noticed that it was bent up in the centre. Apparantly, it was hit and bent a good while ago but hasn't been repaired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

dilallio wrote: »
    I tried to drive under it in a hired van a few weeks ago. I was coming from Menlo. The van cleared the warning barrier but when I was getting really close I realised I wasn't going to make it. Just stopped in time. The van was a couple of inches too high. I reversed back under the warning barrier without touching it and noticed that it was bent up in the centre. Apparantly, it was hit and bent a good while ago but hasn't been repaired.

Thats a regular enough event. I walk that road regularly as my missus lives up there. If you look at the bridge itself you can see marks from people hitting it. To be honest its well sign posted that there is a low bridge ahead. Much like truck drivers hitting train bridges over the past few years its down to the driver to know the height of their vehicle and actually read road signs. There is only so much the corpo can do to help you avoid accidents.

As for cracks in the bridge OP I can't say I have noticed anything from walking under it regularly. Well have a good look next time though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

was going over bridge to go to west side dunns , the road going from roundabout with lights is sinking badly on the left, its very noticeable when i havent used it in a while.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

it has been sinking westbound for years ( or else it stopped sinking years ago but the carriageway was not rebuilt ....but not that I noticed at the bridge over the dyke road or the bridge over the river.

If you are anywhere in ireland and want to claim compo for an (already) damaged van then drive under that barrier and give the bridge one, the corpo will fix the barrier like a shot afterwards so make sure you have photos of the old and new ones :p

Actually complaining will not get it fixed, ***** only understand lawsuits :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

there is a small sign at the top of the dyke road iving the height of the bridge. it is easy to miss and only in feet, which is why a lot of german campers go down the road witout realising what awaits them

Advertisement