Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice Dublin Restaurant

Options
  • 03-11-2009 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Could some of you recommend a nice restaurant in Dublin city where I can take my wife this coming Saturday? We are going up for her college graduation ceremony and I'd like to treat her to a nice meal afterwards.

Somewhere that bit special would be nice. As a rough price guide we'd like to spend under €40 for a main course...

We like to cook a lot ourselves and love good food.

Looking forward to hearing your recommendations :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

check out www.menupages.ie

you can search under dublin city centre, you will see full menu, prices and can reas customer reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I'd trust the reviews in this thread and others like it far sooner than menupages.

I haven't been there, but many people in these parts count Chapter 1 as the best in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Fire on Dawson Street is quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I've always been a fan of Odessa on Dame Court. Very reasonable prices, great food, big portions and good service.

http://www.odessa.ie/reviews.php

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

chapter one is amazing, both the food and service is excellent!
    myself and my boyfriend both really enjoyed the food at marco pierre whites place on dawson street but the service left a little to be desired.
    if you are into seafood you could try bentlys oyster bar and grill on the green..

while it may not be quite as upmarket as you're searching for the farm on dawson street is amazing, i had one of the tastiest meals of my life there not too long ago, a really lovely place! although, you may not want to go some place called the farm after a grad!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭doohan

Dada on South William Street. Lovely food (moroccan place)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

FXB on Lower Pembroke street or

Bar Pinxto or The Port House tappas bars in temple bar and south william street respectively. (youll get 2 glasses of wine and your main and dessert for around 40 euro) and its kinda different given its Tapas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

OP,
    I know you said in the city, but JD's Steakhouse in Terenure is a nice spot.

I was there recently and it's 16.95 for two courses, which is very reasonable and the food is very good.

Might not be specifically suited to what you're looking for on this occasion, but I'd definitely recommend it and it's worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Wow! Thanks for all the replies guys, will go through them later and have a closer look, seems like there's plenty of options :)

I should have mentioned that we're huge seafood fans. As a side comment, it still really surprises me that we still don't have more seafood restaurants in our island...but that's for another days' discussion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

That's a big spend for a main OP, can you narrow it down a bit? What do you like?

If you are looking at that money, I would suggest, Peploes, Chapter one (as said before), The Winding Stair, Bang, The Pigs Ear... wanna go a bit cheaper, try the Tapas places mentioned by Cronin, or you could try Chez Max for amazing authentic French food.

(Good recommendations tfak85, can't wait to try Bentleys)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Ouchette

Not Chez Max. Bad service, very overpriced and ordinary food. La Mere Zou near St. Stephen's green is better if you want French food.

Ouchette wrote: »
    Not Chez Max. Bad service, very overpriced and ordinary food. La Mere Zou near St. Stephen's green is better if you want French food.

Things gone downhill Ouchette? I haven't been there in a while, food was good though, but I felt they were rushing a bit, thanks for the update, don't want to be sending people out for a bad night!!

lightening wrote: »
    That's a big spend for a main OP, can you narrow it down a bit? What do you like?

Maybe I shouldn't be assuming that the higher the price the better the quality...don't want to go down that route here either :)

We'd just like a place that's a little bit fancy or special, that's the reason I quoted the high mains price. We LOVE seafood but don't want to narrow our options to just that, we also love Italian. French is looking promising as we wouldn't have eaten too much of it before.

Service is important to us too of course...

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Ouchette

Things gone downhill Ouchette? I haven't been there in a while, food was good though, but I felt they were rushing a bit, thanks for the update, don't want to be sending people out for a bad night!!

Must have done. It's been a few months, but when I went, we all left feeling disappointed and ripped off. I was with a big-ish group out celebrating a birthday and they all ended up stuck with steak and chips from the a la carte menu when they'd been hoping for something a bit special. We'd phoned in advance to check that we'd be able to order from the full menu too. The food wasn't disgusting or anything, but it didn't come close to justifying their prices. Not one of us has gone back since to my knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

as lightening mentioned bang is amazing, as is unicorn next door, bang is kind of the "younger/hipper" of the two!!
    town is great too and though i've never been i hear peploes is great although the service is not the best.

We'd just like a place that's a little bit fancy or special, that's the reason I quoted the high mains price. We LOVE seafood but don't want to narrow our options to just that, we also love Italian. French is looking promising as we wouldn't have eaten too much of it before.

Service is important to us too of course...

Right, I'd go for The Pigs Ear, Chapter one (try and get the pre-theater), Peploes or Bang. Haven't tried Bentleys, but I'd say its good. Fallon and Byrnes is great too, go for a nice glass or red in Olesya's across the road before hand... and after!! Let us know where you go and how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Amberjack

I find Chapter One seriously over-rated and I've been there on several occassions giving it the benefit of the doubt each time. If you can get the pre-theatre it's good value, other than that, I'd be reluctant to go. I generally don't eat out in town, preferring to stick closer to home, although one of my favourite places is The Trocadero - not exactly Michelin style food, but good value and a really nice atmosphere.

Amberjack wrote: »
    I've been there on several occassions

I tend to keep it as a treat, once, maybe twice a year. Can't really afford to have it any other way. I find the food creative and amazing, the service is the best I have ever had, not in your face or over done, just right. I find their game amazing. Trocadero is lovely, great place.

Anyone hear David Norris tasting food and knocking back wine in Chapter one on RTE 1 on Sunday morning, I think it was the 24th of last month? Priceless stuff. Norris was hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I'd disagre on Bang - service is bad and food can be terrible. unicorn appeals to certain people but in my experience they regularly overcharge for wine and can't even cook a steak properly.
    I'd recommend:
    Peploes
    Marco Pierre White's isn't bad but overpriced
    Chapter One
    Town Bar & Grill (although they don't do the steaks anymore which was the best dish)
    La Mere Zou
    The Winding Stair
    The Pearl Brasserie
    I've heard good things about Darwins but haven't been myself.

jdivision wrote: »
    Town Bar & Grill (although they don't do the steaks anymore which was the best dish)

What's going on there???

If we are going to do disappointments I would say King Citrics (not in town), Patrick Guibald's and the shockingly overpriced and over rated Shanahan's on the green.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Amberjack

I tend to keep it as a treat, once, maybe twice a year. Can't really afford to have it any other way. I find the food creative and amazing, the service is the best I have ever had, not in your face or over done, just right. I find their game amazing. Trocadero is lovely, great place.

When I say I've been there a few times, it would be over a long period (3 times in 2 years, again mainly for special occasions) so yes, like most, I can't afford to go there too often. Was in Neven Maguire's McNean House (Blacklion, Cavan) recently and it would knock the socks off Chapter One in everything - presentation, taste and most importantly - value for money - although it' not cheap either, but well worth a visit for a really special occassion!

So much choice :)

What's your opinion on The Millstone on Dame Street? It got great reviews on menupages...

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭knealecat

The Pearl Brasserie has got to be the best place in town, make sure you book a couple of weeks in advance though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

What's going on there???

If we are going to do disappointments I would say King Citrics (not in town), Patrick Guibald's and the shockingly overpriced and over rated Shanahan's on the green.
    Presumably the supplier wasn't willing to continue selling to them after they got so little money when it nearly went south.

As for Shanahan's, I'll just say went there twice and wouldn't bring anybody there. Absolutely ridiculous. Even if the oreo cheesecake was great. The steaks that are sold there are apparently the same ones that were in Town and in Darwins but obviously they were half the price there.

jdivision wrote: »
    As for Shanahan's, I'll just say went there twice and wouldn't bring anybody there. Absolutely ridiculous.

I actually thought there was something wrong with me. Everyone raves about the place, it was grilled ribeye with a rake of deep fried onions on top! The prices are way out of line with what is served. The decor is very unimaginative, expensive no doubt, but dull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

Has anybody been to a place in Donnybrook called Poulots,down the lane across from Eddie Rockets.
    Found id by accident the other evening but it appeared closed.
    Is it good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

For this occassion, the fact ure big foodies, and ure into Fish...Chapter one ticks all the boxes for ya.
    Saying that, the Unicorn would be my fav and would probably have a more relaxed atmosphere

Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭ball

I've always been a fan of Odessa on Dame Court. Very reasonable prices, great food, big portions and good service.

That's a lovely place.

Also, Tante Zoe's in temple bar (around the corner from Citi Bar).
    Nice resturaunt. Kinda cajun style, but nice

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Esmeralda34

I certainly wouldn't rate Chez Max. THe OH and I went there a few weeks ago after reading a lot of very good reviews and were extremely disappointed (as a previous poster said, beware the reviews on menupages.ie).

Chapter 1 is top class, it has to be said. What really stands out in my memory is a black pudding starter and (oh my!) the daube of beef! I have found the maitre'd, though knowledgeable, over-bearing and patronising! Pity...

However, a restaurant I rarely hear mentioned is own of my favs in Dublin - Nico's on Dame Street. It's a top class Italian (the Duffin Sole just melts in the mouth!) that's been around for decades. It has a small intimate, dining room with a pianist playing most nights. I really do recommend it.

Bentley's I absolutely loved on my first two excursions there. The food is excellent (the oyster tempura starter is what dreams are made of). However on my last visit after telling Himself that it was superb, we had the misfortune of having the surliest of waiters serving us. (Which was really driven home by the fact that the couple beside us had an absolute gem serving them!).

Also, I've heard nothing but wonderful reports about Dax (just off Fitzwilliam Square) from some foodie mates that I would trust.

Please keep us posted, and let us know what choice you made and how you found it!

Of course the best ingredient for a great night is great company! Enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I second Odessa

Ask to be sat downstairs. Nice and atmospheric.

Advertisement