Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

overpaying mortgage

Options
  • 03-11-2009 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi,

Is it possible on a fixed rate mortgage to make overpayments in order to shorten the term of the loan?
    I know it can be done on a variable rate mortgage.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My lender lets me do this, but only very small amounts of overpayment - up to a max of €65/month iirc. That's ICS. You'll need to contact your lender to find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

Many mortgages allow for an additional payment once a year. You can also just simply reduce your term with out any big fuss. Did it myself and all that was involved was a letter. I think you have to be clear what you are doing or they take the extra payments off the interest rather the the principle.
    I remember reading about somebody over paying for a few years before he realised he wasn't reducing his mortgage but building up credit on interest payments and he was not impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Switch to a mortgage that will allow it (if you can), or put the money in a high interest savings account and use it to help pay off the mortgage at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Fancy That

eth0_ wrote: »
    Switch to a mortgage that will allow it (if you can), or put the money in a high interest savings account and use it to help pay off the mortgage at a later date.

Yes great idea if you are on a low rate... only draw back is if rates rise and your money is tied up in some special savers account...long nights in may be on the cards then.

If you are on a high interest rate as are alot of people on fixed/variable then i would continue to pay my mortgage. Overpaying on a rate of 5% is a good idea because not many savers accounts will give you a return on your money like that.

Advertisement