Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with FM 2010

Options
  • 03-11-2009 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

Bought the game today from Xtravision for €35.

Installing it took quite some time and when i eventually started up a game with Leeds, it was unbelievably slow, particularly the match engine. I restarted my laptop, which has run previous editions with no problems and which has plenty of free disk space, and when i started the game up again, it stayed on the screen at the start with the "Football Manager 2010" background and "loading" coming up in all the different languages on the bottom. I gave this 5 mins and had to Ctrl, Alt Delete it.

Any reasons for this or anyone facing similar problems??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Shurwhynot

Can anyone help me?? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

If you haven't already reinstalled I'd try that. If it's still doing the same try the SI forums, a lot more FM traffic there - http://community.sigames.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭eoin1981

i used 'steam' to download mine as the disc wouldn't load it. pain in the ar$e but it seems to be working fine now.

I just checked up the specs there and it says 2.5gb required. Now when i installed it first time i only had about 1.5gb free. It was after i installed it that i deleted about 10gb of rubbish. Would this have any effect? Gona reinstall it later this evening anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Shurwhynot wrote: »
    I just checked up the specs there and it says 2.5gb required. Now when i installed it first time i only had about 1.5gb free. It was after i installed it that i deleted about 10gb of rubbish. Would this have any effect? Gona reinstall it later this evening anyway

Yeah that could definitely have caused it to run slow

• Advertisement

Well i uninstalled and tried reinstalling it again last night and the same thing happened. So i then tried installing it using Steam, which took about an hour, and the gameplay was the same. Is it possible i bought a faulty game? Gona try install it in my buddy's laptop tonight to see if the same thing happens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Your laptop may be struggling to run the 3D engine, same thing happend to me, disable it to 2D whole game runs much faster.

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Your laptop may be struggling to run the 3D engine, same thing happend to me, disable it to 2D whole game runs much faster.

How do i go about doing this sorry?

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

How do i go about doing this sorry?

In preferences at the start of the game maybe?

Also did you download the latest patch? Might help somewhat though I am unsure.

Also...you could try and use a no DVD patch so you dont have to keep your disc in the drive** which may help speed things up as well. You can find one on gamecopyworld.

**As far as I know it is not illegal to talk disc no-DVD patches, if I am mistaken...please delete and apologies in advance.

Yeah it is in preferences, Under the FM tab in game, go to display and sound and click off 3D match engine option..

• Advertisement

Ok so i realised that it was something very simple in the end. My laptop's RAM is only 512MB and the games minimum specs requires minimum 1.5GB of RAM. So i'm gona have to buy more RAM. Would another GB do me, or would i have to get another 1.5GB? What is everyone else running it off?

I would get the 1.5 GB of RAM, TBH I don't know what mine has think it's 2GB or so..

• Registered Users Posts: 45,961 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Ok so i realised that it was something very simple in the end. My laptop's RAM is only 512MB and the games minimum specs requires minimum 1.5GB of RAM. So i'm gona have to buy more RAM. Would another GB do me, or would i have to get another 1.5GB? What is everyone else running it off?

be carefull buying ram (you may already know all this).

1. Your Laptop will only have a certain number of RAM slots.
    2. It will only take certain types of RAM.
    3. All RAM sticks have to be the same (in terms of speed and type, not capacity)

You'll need to be sure what type, and how much RAM your laptop can take.

It is probably easier to buy 2GB of ram (either as a single stick or two 1GB sticks) and replace the ram you currently have, making sure the new RAM is compatible with your laptop.

I know my laptop can take 2 GBs of RAM. How do i know which type it can take?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Ding Dong

I suffered a bit of the same with my FM 2010 ie the 3d match was a bit jumpy on my laptop. I probably dont have the greatest video card and defragged the laptop last nite. Apart from that, is there any simple things I could try to help improve the performance of the system?

A friend also adbvised donloading the latest drivers off the web, but would this work either?

I don't think there is much you can do than update your graphics card really, mine is fairly poor so I am just running in 2D to make the game run smoother. As you said defrag it, maybe clear out programs you are not using and do a general system clean up but other than that...nothing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,961 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I know my laptop can take 2 GBs of RAM. How do i know which type it can take?

If you can tell us the type of laptop (make and model) we might be able to tell you.

found this online:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071024143134AADYWA0

There is a download link there for a program that should tell you what type of RAM you have.

You could also take a look at this link:
    http://www.crucial.com/eu/store/drammemory.aspx?gclid=CO3tocry9p0CFU0B4wodTCXipQ&cpe=pd_google_ir&ef_id=1725:3:s_e124aaa8789b1d36570e1c1c31debacd_3970011864:SvRcjtBbriUAAG3BOVQAAANA:20091106172742

might be of more use as I don't think you need to download anything (if that link doesn't work search for Crucial Memory Scanner) You don't have to take their upgrade recommendations - once you know the type of RAM you have, you can buy off Komplete or whereever you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭dannyo666

Go into task manager while game is running and right click on fm.exe and set priority to the highest,fm will be way faster but everything else will be savage slow so just use it for fm,havent tried it yet but a few buddies did and have noticed a differnce.There was a program called fmspeeder a few years back but it not available for the newer fms.Download ccleaner(for free) and run a scan with that and get rid of all the junk.In preferences set game to "fastest-no response".I dont buy into the small database in fm,theres no point playing if half the players in the game cant be interacted with.I have a shocking slow pc but manage to get an ok speed when playing fm on 2d,dont care for 3d.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I'm having a really weird problem with this.

Game ran perfectly on Friday when I got it.

Was running fine up until last night when it started to get very 'laggy' but I figured this was just because I had had the computer on for about 8 hours straight at that stage and after streaming the Arsenal match, doing some college work with eclipse and playing FM I reckoned there was probably a rake load of background processes running so just turned off the computer and went to be.

However tried to play it today and it's still very slow, every time I 'continue' it takes ages to load and matches are ridiculously stop-start (using 2D).

Now I've set the priority to high, using Game Booster and have roughly 16GB of free space. And have downloaded nothing new.

Can anyone think of why this might be happening coz it sure as hell has me stumped... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭lumo22

i have big problems with this too. Keeps crashing at the same place ( 66 mins into a match V west Brom). I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, switched the 3D graphics off.. Can't think of what else i can do, anyone any suggestions.. running it on a Mac BTW with loads of free ram.

• Advertisement
Advertisement