Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poker Night Munchies

Options
  • 03-11-2009 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭

Hey guys.

Having a few (8) of the lads over for poker during the week, and fancy making a few munchies for the night. (We usually end up in a 8 hour Texas session!)

So to go with the beer, I currently am making

Hot Wings, using the recipe of here, with Franks RedHot Sauce.

Thats about my lot at the moment. Any other ideas? Just want snacky type food, not full meals, and something a bit different to the usual crisps, Doritos and the eventual call to Mizzoni's for a Wagon Wheel!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

You could do a big dish of nachos, use refried beans, sour cream, salsa, jalapenos and cheese. You could make some homemade guacamole to go with it.... Or some wedges with sweet chilli sauce and sour cream might be nice and are easy to pick at along with the wings.

Homemade pizzas are always a winner as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Hmm, might go with some home made wedges.

Thinking parboil potatoes, wedge them, coat in oil, sprinkling of salt, pepper, chilli flakes and some thyme.

Think that'll do. Some beer, some spicy food, some poker, what more could a guy want on a Thursday evening in November!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Some beer, some spicy food, some poker, what more could a guy want on a Thursday evening in November!

Onion rings!! A night of fabulous spicy, greasy, messy snack food is not complete without them. With a big bowl of garlicky mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 22,779 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

You're going to get your cards all sticky! :)

A real simple meaty lads-snack is bacon ribs - the lean ones, not the fatty ones that you get in a chinese takeaway. Mo messing or arsing about.

Get a couple of racks of bacon ribs from your butcher. Cut them into chunks that will fit into a large pot. Cover with water & bring to the boil. Simmer for 15-20 minutes. Drain & serve. Simple as...

How could I forget about them! Will have to make up a batch of lovely Shoestring Onion Rings!

Right, I'm on a mission now to put together recipes for the Ultimate Pokernight Food

Starting with

Ballymans Chicken Wings

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=144087&page=3

Shoestring Onion Rings

http://sarahmeyerwalsh.wordpress.com/2009/04/14/shoestring-frizzled-onions/

Sofiztikated Wedges

Parboil some potatoes. For preference, I use Roosters, but Maris Pipers work excellent, I just can't find them in many places around here.

Chop up into big wedges.

Drizzle in oil, I use olive oil, chilli infused if I have it.

Salt, pepper, thyme, and chilli flakes over them.

Whack into a preheated oven, to about 180 degrees until browned, turning now and again.

I don't really know any times or measurements, I just do it all as I go.

Yum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

They look amazing <dribble>

frizzled_onions.jpg

Oh they are. They are deadly with a steak, burger, chicken, chocolate, women, internet, rosters, financial reports... Oh, I got a bit sidetracked.

But yeah, they go great with everything!

I had to modify that recipe a bit (as I tend to do) and used regular milk with a nice splash of Sarsons malt vinegar instead of the buttermilk, and I got carried away with the chilli flakes, and I threw in a bit of sweet paprika, ran out of the hotter one.

Was loverly!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

How did the munchies go down on poker night?

I made a homemade soda bread base pizza last night, used the leftover buttermilk to make the shoestring onion rings, they were GORGEOUS!

Just about to start making the Poker Night munchies now.

I'll report in the morning, if I'm alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Hmm, might go with some home made wedges.

Thinking parboil potatoes, wedge them, coat in oil, sprinkling of salt, pepper, chilli flakes and some thyme.

Think that'll do. Some beer, some spicy food, some poker, what more could a guy want on a Thursday evening in November!

mmmmmmmmm, Can I come? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,464 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

+1 to dilema with a variation...

seven layer dip with nachos

basically layer the following onto a big flat plate and use nachos to dip.
    black olives, grated chedder, sour cream, guac, refried beans, salsa, jalapenos

Hey guys.

Only getting back online again, phew that was a hard nights work.

Food went down a treat, although I had to do a batch of non spicy wings for the little girlie men that couldn't stand the heat. (To be fair, one has a stomach ulcer.)

Tip for those making the onion rings, make sure the fryer gets up to temp! I had mine up at max, 190, but didn't quite crisp them up properly.

And with the wings, I used a slight variation on the Franks recipe of Franks and butter. I used Franks, butter and, using the term of one of the lads, I cut it with HP fruity sauce, to take some of the vinegary bite away.

All in all, success!

Advertisement