Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the heck is going on in Humanities?

Options
  • 03-11-2009 11:15am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Dropped in there today to see a mass lockfest happened late last night.

What exactly are the criteria to qualify as a Humanities thread? The forum is quiet enough with closing anything that doesn't scream Humanities - and those that do qualify are also getting locked for fear someone says something remotely racist.

If Humanities can't handle discussions that touch social nerves, then it has to broaden it's scope to what it will allow discussion on, imo.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Donegalfella has been asked to take over as mod of Humanities and has accepted the role. The forum hasn't had active moderation in some time so it's a new broom. I'm sure you were shocked at the mass lockfest but that's what tends to happen when forums that have been a bit neglected suddenly aren't.

To answer your question though, the main criterion appears to be that "Humanities was created for the purpose of having rational, thoughtful, calm debate about issues."

As an aside, personally if I wanted to ask the question above, I'd just have PMed the mod. Otherwise you're stuck with hoping that the mod will see this thread. I suggest sending him a note letting him know this thread exists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Understandable, but moribund forum may now become critical.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

sceptre wrote: »
    As an aside, personally if I wanted to ask the question above, I'd just have PMed the mod. Otherwise you're stuck with hoping that the mod will see this thread. I suggest sending him a note letting him know this thread exists.
    Yah you're probably right. I've no beef with donegalfella - I was sure it was a 'policy' thing that I thought needed airing.
    Dropping him a PM!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Looks like the new broom is being used already :) hopefully that will clear out the cobwebs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Thanks for the reply!

Maybe now that you're on board(s!) full time then some of the potentially more contentious threads might survive. I think in the past they tended to be locked because they were unpoliceable, as it were. Maybe your iron fist can keep the AH effect from derailing the threads. I know where you're coming from on this btw, "leakage" from AH appears in every forum and can get out of hand quick.

That said - rather you than me looking after the place!

I still think Humanities could be more open about what it will allow, though. I thought that thread on Gearoid Walsh's mother was quite a human topic. It wasn't exactly lighting up Boards, but it wasn't causing trouble, either.

All that said, a higher standard is a good aspiration, so good luck with it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Hmmm... might stay away from that forum for a while....hmm

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

In short: AH without people screaming for heads to roll because a friend of a friend has been attacked by <insert whoever made the front page of the Sunday world this week>.

That's always been my impression of it anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement