Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electro-acoustic guitar won't play on speakers

Options
  • 03-11-2009 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I got an electric-acoustic guitar as a present. Have only ever played a spanish guitar, so it was my first attempt at hooking one up to speakers. My stereo has an audio input that I can plug my MP3 player etc into - so I thought I can plug the guitar into this input. I use a cable with 2 RCA connections (red and white) to plug into stereo, and standard 3.5mm audio jack on other end. I use a 3.5mm to 6.5mm converter then (picture attached), and plug this into guitar. The guitar has a 9V battery in it, and the volume dial is turned mid-way. I have the correct source selected on the stereo - but nothing comes through from the guitar. Am I doing something wrong? Is something wrong with the cables, or the 3.5mm to 6.5mm adaptor? I'm sure the stereo is fine.
    thanks
    P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

(OK I think I'm right with the following but not 100% sure)

Is the imput on your stereo an auxiliary input? You will need to have a mic input to plug the guitar into otherwise the signal won't get picked up. If your stereo has a tape deck then it will probably have a mic input for recording your voice or songs off the radio ect but if it doesn't then more than likely there will be no microphone input. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

yeah, thanks, got it going in the end. I had to get a Mono jack for the guitar, as I was using a stereo jack - and I plugged it into an input on the back of the stereo labelled "phono".
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

There's no amplifier there to boost the guitar signal. I can plug my guitar using a 3.5mm cable to my studio monitors but I have to turn them up full blast to hear a low volume sound from the guitar. The signal output by the pickup is low powered to run on the batter and the amplifier boosts (or amplifies if you will ;) ) the sound

Advertisement