Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applications received letters

Options
  • 03-11-2009 11:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

Well, my "weapons" :eek: :rolleyes: (I wasn't aware I had any, maybe they mean my firearms?) are officially in "the system" now. I will have a decision communicated to me before 10/01/2010.

No hurry like :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I do wish they'd stop calling them weapons.
    I mean, we don't call gardai "jackbooted enforcers of the state's tyranny", do we? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Sparks wrote: »
    I do wish they'd stop calling them weapons.
    I mean, we don't call gardai "jackbooted enforcers of the state's tyranny", do we? :D

We don't?

Crap, I never got that memo...

:D

Sadly, I suspect we generally don't because those who use such language tend to find its verbosity an obstacle to the degree of colloquial urgency and expressionism sought, and so resort to shorter appellations which invoke more visceral impressions, rather than because of any philosophical belief as to the worth of a police force as a necessary part of a modern state...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Wheelbarrow.

Sorry i thought it was a long word competition.:D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Was it a job swallowing that Thesaraus there Sparks???:D:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭booom

'weapons'......'silencers'......it's easier to stigmatize a sport or activity if you start using terms like these. that way it's easier to clamp down and control and joe public will think a great service has been done. wait a few years and we'll all be known as gunmen.

A few years, i'd say they already do. I have heard of the long range target shooters being referred to as "snipers".

To get back to the original theme of the thread, i still have not received a letter of receipt for my centrefire pistol. Have rang Chief Supers office, Supers office, FO, local station and no-one can tell me where my application is. I was told some applications were returned to local stations for extra info but the lads there have not received it. Going to see the FO today to pin the application down. Wouldn't mind how long the decision process takes (within reason) its the fact that each office i spoke to remembered seeing the application but cannot tell me where it is.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

johngalway wrote: »
    Well, my "weapons" :eek: :rolleyes: (I wasn't aware I had any, maybe they mean my firearms?) are officially in "the system" now. I will have a decision communicated to me before 10/01/2010.

No hurry like :D

i am seeing red over the inept use of the english language and have been seriously contemplating writing a letter to the Commissioner in relation to the terminology.

I only have firearms (as defined),and as I have never used my fire arm in attack or defence it is not a weapon and as such should not be refered to as one. I am not a soldier or guard and as my fire rms are always used in sporting situations it has been or never will be weapon in my hands.

I have raised it with my local FO he was embarrased by the terminology used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭BOG FLY

I have always while in conversation used the terms firearm, and sporting firearms to decribe my FIREARMS.
    I do not like, nor do I use the term Weapon in decribing any of my sporting firearms and have corrected people, politly, when they have used this word to describe my sporting firearms.

I use my sporting firearms in a sporting cappacity only and not, and I repeat not as weapons.
    But I am quite awear of what they are capable of doing.
    I have always been uncomfortable using the term weapon in any conversation.
    Like Johngalway I am not happy about the use of the term in the replys from An Garda using this word to describe my firearms

My understanding of the word weapon is ...an instrument used to attack a person or even defend one self from attack.

I have on seeing the term WEAPON on the replys from An Garda considered asking them to remove this word and replace it with firearm.
    This is not an unreasonable request, is it?

I have noticed that people who use this term regularly are military and police both serving and retired.

+1 on all that BogFly.

Weapon - any instrument or device for use in attack or defense in combat, fighting, or war, as a sword, rifle, or cannon.

Firearm - a rifle or pistol or other small arm from which a projectile is fired by gunpowder.

As none of us are in a combat or war situation and not firing at people in such a scenario then the only thing we all have in this country is FIREARMS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Kimber

I was certain the "Firearms" Consultative Panel addressed this with the powers that be some time back. Maybe I am wrong.

So are the powers that be when referring to the above mentioned:

"We have a meeting with the Weapons Consultative Panel today at 2pm.":D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Unfortunately it sneaks in from time to time no matter how hard you try to eradicate it, it's like a weed :)

It's dotted liberally around the firearms act as well.

Our German friends are not so squeamish as we are, everything's a Waffen to them. They have Sportwaffen and Kurzwaffen, Langwaffen and Jagdwaffen and even Luftwaffen there :D

Not to forget our good friend the EU Weapons Directive either. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Kimber

Good one.

I tell my buddies to stop waffen around for waffen sake every now and again,
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Our German friends are not so squeamish as we are, everything's a Waffen to them. They have Sportwaffen and Kurzwaffen, Langwaffen and Jagdwaffen and even Luftwaffen there :D

Not to forget our good friend the EU Weapons Directive either. :eek:
    Maybe they have a more realistic and martial outlook on things than the Irish??:D:D:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The only application received letter I actually received came after the licence was granted :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Has anyone who has gotten application received letters been refused?
    Cheers.

I've gotten one refusal and one granted, but only an application received for the granted one.

kowloon wrote: »
    I've gotten one refusal and one granted, but only an application received for the granted one.

I wonder if thats the way its going, application received letters are just letting you know that your details are being pulsed and you just have to wait til pulse catches up:confused:

If that's the case I have another refusal due. :(

Well im hoping thats not the case kid, if it is im f*****:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I received my application recieved letter after my license approvals.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭A Country Voice

2 months and still nothin ha ha no receipt letter, nothin
    The dont give a f**k attitude is workin well though.
    I went to see the sergeant and got a note off her allowing me to collect my new shotgun.
    Had my first day out poppin some clays last sunday.
    Mighty day, delighted with the gun, and hit about 60% of the clays which was good for my second day at em in about 15 years.
    Sure whenever my nice sergeants colleagues in district hq get their asses in gear I dont mind, I have my gun.
    A Country Voice is a happy camper :D

kowloon wrote: »

Have you actually been refused Kowloon? As in "I am refusing..." or have you got one of the "would sir like to try one of these instead" letters?

It's just I've heard of a lot of people calling them refusals when they're not. Insulting perhaps and unhelpful definitely, but not a refusal per se. :rolleyes:

A Country Voice is a happy camper :D
    I keep reading posts like that - and all they do is put more dread into me of the followup post of someone looking for a recommendation for a good solicitor because they were stopped on the way home for a routine tax disc check on the car and the Garda spotted the shotgun in the back seat and the local FO didn't berate the Garda on the traffic stop for daring to ask to see a licence, and everything's gone downhill from there...

Sparks wrote: »
    I keep reading posts like that - and all they do is put more dread into me of the followup post of someone looking for a recommendation for a good solicitor because they were stopped on the way home for a routine tax disc check on the car and the Garda spotted the shotgun in the back seat and the local FO didn't berate the Garda on the traffic stop for daring to ask to see a licence, and everything's gone downhill from there...

He's got a permit for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Yiz are all one step up the ladder then me. I never even got the letters for renewal yet:eek: No word from anyone yet:mad:

rrpc wrote: »
    Have you actually been refused Kowloon? As in "I am refusing..." or have you got one of the "would sir like to try one of these instead" letters?

It's just I've heard of a lot of people calling them refusals when they're not. Insulting perhaps and unhelpful definitely, but not a refusal per se. :rolleyes:

Proper refusal in letter form :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Do you mind if I ask what you had applied for?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Grant letter arrived this morning. No letter of receipt to be seen.

• Advertisement

Looks like you got the important one IWM.

Advertisement