Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applications received letters

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭A Country Voice

rrpc wrote: »
    He's got a permit for it.

Exactly, i have a letter of permission to hold the firearm, no problems.

Of course if we talk about things being to the letter of the law then no, its not perfect is it? but if we all had to live every facet of our lives exactly to the letter of every law ever passed then we probably wouldnt be able to get out of bed in the morning, although somebody would then probably find a law against staying in bed!!

I dont think you should lose much sleep worrying about minor paperwork issues sparks.

A Country Voice

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

I applied on Oct 29th for a D/B Shotgun, A sig Mosquito .22 and a Sig Pro 9mm. Pistols prior nov 08 (that does'nt seem to matter a fcu# anyway)

This morning I got the following letter....

Dear Mr. ...

"Your application for a firearm licence has been received at Henry St, Limerick. Your application number is %%%%"

"Your application will be evaluated in accordance with current firearm legislation which provides for maximum time of 3 months for this evaluation. A decision will normally be communicated before 06/02/2010"

"This application is in reference to the following "weapon""

Firearm Type etc....

Your etc,

The Superintendent.

Nothing back on the 2 X Sigs. My question is this is not an extention of my licence so I still hold 3 unlicenced firearms?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

knockon wrote: »

Nothing back on the 2 X Sigs. My question is this is not an extention of my licence so I still hold 3 unlicenced firearms?
    The NARGC and NTSA advice and every other body that's given advice on this is that you continue to hold your firearms until either a cert issues or a refusal.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I dont think you should lose much sleep worrying about minor paperwork issues sparks.
    Grand for you "A Country Voice", if someone takes your advice and gets arrested, then it's hard to find out who you are to sue you for your advice - but boards.ie gets done the next day, and it's the job of the moderators to prevent that from happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

knockon wrote: »
    I applied on Oct 29th for a D/B Shotgun, A sig Mosquito .22 and a Sig Pro 9mm. Pistols prior nov 08 (that does'nt seem to matter a fcu# anyway)

This morning I got the following letter....

Dear Mr. ...

"Your application for a firearm licence has been received at Henry St, Limerick. Your application number is %%%%"

"Your application will be evaluated in accordance with current firearm legislation which provides for maximum time of 3 months for this evaluation. A decision will normally be communicated before 06/02/2010"

"This application is in reference to the following "weapon""

Firearm Type etc....

Your etc,

The Superintendent.

So you applied on October 29 and presumably licences expire on October 31 and your worried about having unlicenced firearms :D The system has been quire efficient but no way is it likely to be that efficient ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

rrpc wrote: »
    The NARGC and NTSA advice and every other body that's given advice on this is that you continue to hold your firearms until either a cert issues or a refusal.

OR the Gardai call to collect 'em :eek:

Sparks wrote: »
    Grand for you "A Country Voice", if someone takes your advice and gets arrested, then it's hard to find out who you are to sue you for your advice - but boards.ie gets done the next day, and it's the job of the moderators to prevent that from happening.

A couple of things wrong here.
    1 I dont see anywhere that I mentioned the word advice. Lots of people come on here and give updates as to their situations in relation to the farcical licensing hold ups now upon us. I told my story as it is. I wasnt giving anyone advice, but if they want to take it as advice they can, I've no problem with that.
    2 Are you seriously suggesting that somebody who was stupid enough to get stopped by the gardai, and didnt have a license for a gun when the member of the force asked for it, and wasnt able to explain his story, and produce the permit they had, would then sue boards.ie for giving them incorrect advice??? I think thats stretching things a bit much now, don't you??
    Any judge that would even entertain such a farce would need therapy in my opinion, ha ha

When thinking about the above situation I like to factor in a minor amount of common sense being within the heads of all parties concerned. A chat and an explanation between the guard and the shooter, (with the production of the permit of course), should see everybody leaving the scene of this unlucky meeting happily.

I know ye mods have to overcompensate on the side of caution (and ye're very good at it too, well done), but I think crying about the country being awash with lads driving around in cars with unlicensed firearms is a good few years too late. Theres machine guns freely available on the streets of every city in this country, and punishing responsible shooters by restricting types and calibres of weapons isnt going to change that one bit.
    The "common sense", " he's had a gun for years" "he's sound" "work away and we'll sort out the paperwork" kind of attitude is all we have to work with at the moment, so work away I will.
    If you're worried about getting sued, give up your (seemingly very stressful) occupation as a mod.
    Its great out here with the civilians when you've no responsibilities :D

Kindest Regards
    A Country Voice

At Last my grant letter for the shotgun arrived this morning.
    2 months and 5 days since lodging the application, so, well within the 3 month deadline !!
    Although, along with a lot of people on here I got my application received letter today also for the same gun ha ha.
    Ah well, at least I have it now. I've been to the post office and paid it already, so I should have the actual physical license in a few days.

A Country Voice

P.s. I'll let you know when it arrives sparks so you can sleep soundly again :D

Advertisement