Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Liffey

Options
  • 03-11-2009 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭

Anyone see the Liffey this morning I passed over at 11 and its the higest i have ever seen it, and i've been going over for 6 years. The two outer arches on Butt bridge were completly covered and even the cetre main one only had a very small bit of room. I reckon even the liffey ferry flat boat thing would have had trouble passing under.

I know we had a bit of heavy rain last night but still very high.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Full moon, so we have a spring tide.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

:D after reading your post yesterday, well courtisy got to me while on the bus heading home, and had a look, even though looked to me the river was going out was higher then i noticed ...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

er...I saw it come up over the walls at Butt Bridge once....get the sandbags!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Riskymove wrote: »
    er...I saw it come up over the walls at Butt Bridge once....get the sandbags!!!
    Really,I've often wondered would it rise high enough to breech the walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

Does any one know if the liffey has broken its banks before? I live near it am my car is in a basement car park. Is there a warning system? I have heard there is a flood protection system but where and how?

Regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

gar32 wrote: »
    Does any one know if the liffey has broken its banks before?
    It has several times but they have been upstream in west Dublin/Kildare. I don't ever recall it breeching the walls along the quays (but I'm open to correction).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

It has several times but they have been upstream in west Dublin/Kildare. I don't ever recall it breeching the walls along the quays (but I'm open to correction).

I dont think it ever completly burst now but I remember doing night work about ten year back and a good bit of water was coming over!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

I work in an office overlooking the liffey and see it everyday. It seems to get very close to the boardwalk alright but theres another few feet to go before it would breach the walls thankfully. Ive only seen the boarwalk closed once after the liffey breached that..but that seems to be pretty much at ground level. Thank god for those high walls :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Smokey Bear

Check out floodmaps.ie great site by the OPW.Select an area ie dublin-Christchurch area and will show you were floods have happened before.
    http://www.floodmaps.ie/View/Default.aspx

Smokey Bear

Advertisement