Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salt Water Fly Fishing

Options
  • 03-11-2009 12:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Now the trout/salmon season is thoroughly over... Does anyone have advice on salt water fly fishing - is the winter any good for it? If so - any advice on where, especially near Dublin? I've heard that Wexford is good for bass....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Jim Hendricks is a guide from Wexford, he also is a writer for the Irish Angler. My advice is that if you have never fished for Bass before get yourself a guide, even if its just for one day. This can be a hard time to flyfish for Bass but any Bass caught at this time of the year are bigger than normal.

http://www.bassfishing.ie/guiding.htm

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

He wrote some fantastic blog articles as well that are a great read (even for people not bass fishing). I don't have the links any more, but you'll find them on Sea Angling Ireland, iirc he posts there under JimH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

Not sure about the bass as I haven't caught any yet but pollack on the fly is savage! Wexford is good for them as well, but do it sonner rather than later if you're thinking of getting down there for a go - pollack move into deeper water as the water temperatures drop and that will be well out of casting range for even the pros.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Satyr_The_Great

berman wrote: »
    Now the trout/salmon season is thoroughly over... Does anyone have advice on salt water fly fishing - is the winter any good for it? If so - any advice on where, especially near Dublin? I've heard that Wexford is good for bass....

Castlecomer lakes is a spot but they hardly stock the lakes, they say they do but they dont.
    Fenagh / garryhill in carlow. @ great lakes there, one is small the other is big, but well worth it, garanteed a catch, almost too many but its well worth it, fish are in good health, fight great in winter. 20 euro for 4 hours fishing, but he has a number of tagged fish, and if u catch one of the,, take it to himn and u win between 20 and 100 euro.

Advertisement