Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets just have the budget this week

Options
  • 03-11-2009 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Its another bloody month away from finding out how bad the big bad scary budget is going to be

Another month of scaremongering
    whinging from self interest groups
    media speculation

and all the time we are getting deeper and deeper in debt because the figures are not being rectified

They seem to be holding only in december this year to save face from the fact they have already called one early budget and a emergency budget so don't want to look grossly incompetent for not stopping the slide yet

GET IT OVER WITH-
    drink the poison- take the kick to the stomach- we're all doomed but lets moan for november and then see how to get through christmas- not wait another month waiting for our kicking

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

with NAMA and continuing borrowing to pay for PS and Welfare

we and our children will still be paying for this for decades

get used to it :( things will only get worse short of a miracle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭erictheviking

Yes. If I'm gonna get hammered by those twats in the dail I'd like a bit of notice so I can at least make plans on budgeting.I'll never forgive them. They have left most of the country with massive debts/mortgages etc and now expect everyone to pay their bills with less money. As for the greens and their fecking carbon tax:mad: They have done nothing except hit the ordinary man in the pocket since they got in. AAAAAGH!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

Opus dei must have infiltrated the government... hair shirts, sacrifice, misery, cuts and blind faith - this year, next year and the year after that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

did that last year didnt do much good :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

The reason the early budget didnt work last November was becasuse it was such a non-event.
    There were hardly any spending cuts & modest enough tax increases.

FF spent months doing the now annual speculation thing on how bad it was going to be. When the day came the dodged the tough choices as per usual.

I would agree we should have the budget now, but I know it makes no difference because I genuinely think they havent a clue what they are going to do. (or more precisely what they think they can get away with doing)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RealityCheck

Look the government would be better off if they combined the next three years budgets into one. It would front load the whole thing, and people will know how they stand goin forward. The road we are going on means we will have uncertainty every year as people question where the cuts are going to come each year, causing the economy to stagnate.

If our income tax take is at 2003 levels why not just readjust our expenditure to pre 2003 level. Forget all this 5 year plan lark.

If our income tax take is at 2003 levels why not just readjust our expenditure to pre 2003 level. Forget all this 5 year plan lark.

that means cuts to welfare and PS

and the PS dont want to face reality and are about to strike

so easier said than done

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

It is not only a question of facing up to people, if the government cuts the budget to ribbons then shops and businesses etc will close and a variety of other people will lose their jobs. The recession has two components, the international recession which will improve in a year or so and the property bubble. It is reasonable for the government to borrow that part of the deficit that is due to the international recession, while more quickly eliminating that part due to the property bubble, as that ain't coming back.

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    that means cuts to welfare and PS

and the PS dont want to face reality and are about to strike

so easier said than done

Sure dont I know. I forgot this is the real world :o.

ardmacha wrote: »
    It is not only a question of facing up to people, if the government cuts the budget to ribbons then shops and businesses etc will close and a variety of other people will lose their jobs. The recession has two components, the international recession which will improve in a year or so and the property bubble. It is reasonable for the government to borrow that part of the deficit that is due to the international recession, while more quickly eliminating that part due to the property bubble, as that ain't coming back.

the part that was due to property bubble was 25% of our economy (or more) which is now almost shrink to nothing

imagine a 20-25% cut in PS and Welfare :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Look the government would be better off if they combined the next three years budgets into one. It would front load the whole thing, and people will know how they stand goin forward. The road we are going on means we will have uncertainty every year as people question where the cuts are going to come each year, causing the economy to stagnate.

+1
    I agree completely, we havnt experienced anything yet in terms of how bad the budgets are going to get, finish it now, hit us with the full whack and promise no tax increases for 3 years at least let us know if we can spend money and not be fecked for the next 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

the part that was due to property bubble was 25% of our economy (or more) which is now almost shrink to nothing

The property bubble inflated GDP by perhaps 8%,not 25%.

ardmacha wrote: »
    The property bubble inflated GDP by perhaps 8%,not 25%.

Construction Output at the height of the boom was just under 25% of GNP in 2007. Investment in construction accounted for 75% of total investment in the economy :eek: and about 20% of GNP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

OP - I'm with ya on this one!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭harsea8

dan_d wrote: »
    OP - I'm with ya on this one!!!

+1.....so annoying hearing what might happen, just tell us!

Advertisement