Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shels v Sporting Fingal Playoff

• 03-11-2009 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭

Looking more and more likely thats its to be played in Tolka.

Cant wait.:). Biggest game of the season so far.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Its going to be mental :)

Im sure we will get through but to be honest its a close call as both teams are capable of winning this one and it will all depend on the day who keeps the head and deals with the pressure better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Hopefully it will be in Tolka, after standing in the pishings of rain on a terrace in Ballybofey last night I don't fancy it again.:D Hopefully if it's in Tolka we throw you lot into the Ballybough to get drenched and also not a hope of any atmosphere for yous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Not only would I prefer Shels to come back up, but the last thing the premier needs is Fingal coming up just when wages may be settling down a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

stovelid wrote: »
    Not only would I prefer Shels to come back up, but the last thing the premier needs is Fingal coming up just when wages may be settling down a bit.

better the devil you know i suppose

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

G'wan Shels ;)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

G'wan Shels ;)

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭AntoSRFC

Has a date been set yet? Will probaly try head to it. Defo would rather Shels. Mortan is one right ****hole and Sporting Franchise will contribute **** all to the league. Plus Shels have fans to slag when we hammer them.:D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Trilla wrote: »
    :eek:
    My friend supports them and I'd like to see them come up :o

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

nothing against Fingal cause im actually guy like see them do well but be nice see Shels back in PREMIER

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Would also like to know the date of the fixture. If im around Ill go to see it.

How exactly does it work? Is it just one game and the winner is promoted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

PROMOTION/RELEGATION PLAY-OFF SERIES

Tues. 10 November 8th placed Premier v 9th placed Premier Match A
    Tues. 10 November 2nd placed First v 3rd placed First Match B
    Fri. 13 November Winner of Match B v Loser of Match A
    Mon. 16 November Loser of Match A v Winner of Match B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

the last thing the premier needs is Fingal coming up just when wages may be settling down a bit.

What do you mean by that???

Fingal are certainly not paying above normal wages to the players. If anything, they are just better run with the money they have.

Paulw wrote: »
    What do you mean by that???

Fingal are certainly not paying above normal wages to the players. If anything, they are just better run with the money they have.

They're certainly performing budgetary miracles to bankroll a nearly full-time (and paid on time) squad when their gates are in the low to mid hundreds.

A good number of the squad are also doing other work - community work, educational work, etc. They're not all 100% full-time pro footballers.

While their gates have been in the hundreds, they do have some of the largest attendances in the first division. They are also growing (products, gate returns, sponsorship, etc).

Even yesterday at the press conference, some of the players stated that they were not on big wages (by LOI standards), but that the club is reliable (paying on time), and that the club is still only growing.

Certainly nothing to fear in the wage dept for any club.

A good number of the squad are also doing other work - community work, educational work, etc. They're not all 100% full-time pro footballers.

What kind of work? Work that falls under the auspices of Sporting Fingal? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

What kind of work? Work that falls under the auspices of Sporting Fingal? ;)

If its good for the community and helps in some way, what does it matter.

I think a lot of people would be surprised the wages our players our on compared to the inflated ideas some people have. We dont have to give out the ridiculous wages of the past in order to attract our players. Given the current climate, wages have had to come down considerably, so we just have to match that and offer the player stability and a chance for him to further himself eg. Our schlolorship scheme. Paisley and Zayed are in DCU as we speak. The fact the wages get paid on time must be a source of comfort to these players in a time when some players have no idea if they will get paid from week to week.

We are not splashing out ridiculous amounts of money in a time of recession and bad times for other clubs, we are taking advantage of the fact its a recession and the fact other clubs (not all) cant offer what we can. Stability and Education.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

On the wage front, does it not concern you that you're wage budget is something like 3 times ours and ours is €7,500 iirc, with a bit of that coming from local businesses.

I'm not sure I meant they'd be necessarily smashing the average wage ceiling in the premier, although who knows?

What I mean is that the model of paying more wages than you generate in income has proved to be bogus in the past and there is no way you can guarantee it is sustainable. With that in mind, the amount of wages paid is meaningless. You can't afford it as a normally functioning business without outside intervention.

Rovers have been getting gates of 4500-6000, have good sponsorship and merchandising but are still have to have essentially a part-time squad to be at 55% of turnover.

The fact that you can pay decent wages on time will be a big draw in the premier considering the massive amount of players due to be out of contract and the fact that serious doubts exist about three of the top four club's ability to buy players next season.

Fair enough, I understand the long-term ambition of SF is to be self-sufficient, but it's not picking on you as supporters to say that the applecart could be upset if you come up to a division where half the clubs are in severe difficulties and the other half are trying to be prudent - and suffering badly for it.

Fair enough also if the financial backing is never taken away, but who can ever say that with certainty?

Fair enough also if the financial backing is never taken away, but who can ever say that with certainty?

In fairness, who can say that about any club or any business??

You plan from year to year, and factor in all finances - incoming and outgoing.

By all accounts, Sporting Fingal are doing just that and the wage bill is certainly under control.

Many of the players in Sporting Fingal will be out of contact come the summer. But, promotion will certainly give many players a good reason to resign.

Promotion will also help build the club, with probable higher gate numbers, sponsorship, higher profile, etc Also, European football will also being in more income.

From all I can see, Sporting Fingal is being very well run, as a business. It's not in financial problems at all.

Many people don't like Sporting Fingal. They feel threatened. Why? A new club, taking fans from other clubs, they have money to build the club, they're building the community, playing good football, possible promotion in their 2nd year, possible cup win, possible European football next year?

Either way, Fingal and Shels won't have to play each other next season. :D

How are the wages settling down when some dont even get paid what they should?

• Advertisement

On the wage front, does it not concern you that you're wage budget is something like 3 times ours and ours is €7,500 iirc, with a bit of that coming from local businesses.

No, and it shouldnt concern anyone outside the club either.

cymro wrote: »
    How are the wages settling down when some dont even get paid what they should?

As it stands, there doesn't seem to be another Bohs/Drogs/Shels stepping up to splash the cash. At the current time, most premier clubs are paying wages commensurate with income, are trimming wages or are basically up shit creek and can't pay them.

I've no wish to derail the thread but smugly intoning that you're run "like a business" because you have a full-time squad and pay wages on time is the kind of statement that any of a number of currently stricken clubs could have come out with a few years ago.

If you come up, I've no doubt that you will be a favoured port of call (along with Rovers) with players because you can pay full-time wages which was the original point.

Saying that SF have the second best gates in the division is meaningless when the first division is an attendance graveyard and the biggest gate in Irish football is currently only 5-6000 max.

Basically: no financial backing; no wages paid. And that's before we consider that your wages have to be 65% of your turnover. That's where the old 'community work' comes in, I suppose.

I'm not sure I meant they'd be necessarily smashing the average wage ceiling in the premier, although who knows?

What I mean is that the model of paying more wages than you generate in income has proved to be bogus in the past and there is no way you can guarantee it is sustainable. With that in mind, the amount of wages paid is meaningless. You can't afford it as a normally functioning business without outside intervention.

Rovers have been getting gates of 4500-6000, have good sponsorship and merchandising but are still have to have essentially a part-time squad to be at 55% of turnover.

The fact that you can pay decent wages on time will be a big draw in the premier considering the massive amount of players due to be out of contract and the fact that serious doubts exist about three of the top four club's ability to buy players next season.

Fair enough, I understand the long-term ambition of SF is to be self-sufficient, but it's not picking on you as supporters to say that the applecart could be upset if you come up to a division where half the clubs are in severe difficulties and the other half are trying to be prudent - and suffering badly for it.

To be honest you have some valid points and others I will disagree with but you will have to excuse me if I dont want to go through all these again. Between here and Foot.ie, Im tired of it all. No offence by the way.

For the sake of a good playoff, I hope for once we bring a good crowd to tolka or even a half decent one (if its at tolka). Im hoping shels bring the maximum they can to either Morton or Tolka and lets really enjoy this night. (Of course I hope its only Fingal who enjoy the night and the shels fans go home crying for another year, OOPS sorry did I say that out loud:D)

Sound, Lamper. It is off-topic. I'm criticizing a model, not fellow LOI supporters.

I've no wish to derail the thread but smugly intoning that you're run "like a business" because you have a full-time squad and pay wages on time is the kind of statement that any of a number of currently stricken clubs could have come out with a few years ago.

Basically: no financial backing; no wages paid. And that's before we consider that your wages have to be 65% of your turnover. That's where the old 'community work' comes in, I suppose.

That's it. The club isn't 100% full-time pro footballers. They play football, and also many do other work. So, their earnings aren't 100% from just the football activities. Some of the players are full-time footballers, and some do a lot more community work.

Either way, I'm looking forward to the playoffs, and hopefully a good win for Sporting Fingal.

Its an all or nothing game and too close to call in my opinion. Lets hope for a cracking game. After all the slagging is finished i know how shels fans will feel if Sporting win as i will feel the same if we lose so i wont be gloating or taking the urine on here or on fools if we win.

Its an all or nothing game and too close to call in my opinion. Lets hope for a cracking game. After all the slagging is finished i know how shels fans will feel if Sporting win as i will feel the same if we lose so i wont be gloating or taking the urine on here or on fools if we win.

I might, just a little though:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

A little gloating is fine. Thats what makes the game fun, enjoyable and thats what gives us our begrudging likability and respect for each other :)

As long as its not obnoxious there is no looser. As for the result I'm not shouting for anyone in particular. Either way its another Dublin derby for us both with pluses and minuses. Tolka is a better place to go however Morton is easier to get to etc... I like the fact that both teams do try to play good football and I respect that so I'm hopeful for a good game.

iregk wrote: »
    A little gloating is fine. Thats what makes the game fun, enjoyable and thats what gives us our begrudging likability and respect for each other :)

As long as its not obnoxious there is no looser. As for the result I'm not shouting for anyone in particular. Either way its another Dublin derby for us both with pluses and minuses. Tolka is a better place to go however Morton is easier to get to etc... I like the fact that both teams do try to play good football and I respect that so I'm hopeful for a good game.

Well said up to a point. Shels play good football?:D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Should be an interesting game, Shels seem to have recovered a bit in defence after that great game against Longford. Fingal have some great players in their squad but Baker is getting nicely into form for Shels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Either way, Fingal and Shels won't have to play each other next season. :D

Play-offs difficult to understand yeah? :rolleyes:

Shels seem to have recovered a bit in defence after that great game against Longford.

I disagree, the Shels defense has been woefully bad all season, Brennan has been poison, and when paired with Keely they must be the worst center back pairing in the country. Baker was coming into form just before his injury in Monaghan hopefully he can come off the bench and make an impact.

Will Giller be suspended are his brain fart on Friday? I'm well pissed off with him.

Did he get one or two match ban?

Did he get one or two match ban?

Not sure he was suspended for Monday's game at Finn Harps and usually there is another suspension at a further date when the disciplinary committee meet.

I remember Mcgill scoring against Shamrock Rovers for Dublin City in the first play off which saw Rovers get relegated and he's a Rovers fan himself :)
    This weeks games should be fun with both teams trying their best to come through without any suspensions or injuries. Its strange that the our 2 games couldnt be played on friday night seeing that Shels and fingal are playing on tues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sd08

This weeks games should be fun with both teams trying their best to come through without any suspensions or injuries. Its strange that the our 2 games couldnt be played on friday night seeing that Shels and fingal are playing on tues.
    Think the idea is that the two divisions finish on different nights, dunno why though, but it does leave the winner of that match with a lot of games on in such a short space of time.
    I'm pretty sure McGill is back for this game, and probably tuesday as well.

Going by the suspension list on the fai site, Mcgill isnt on it but we have Bayly on it with a 2 match suspension :(.

Going by the suspension list on the fai site, Mcgill isnt on it but we have Bayly on it with a 2 match suspension :(.
    That's his season over anyway.:pac:

Not just yet as he still has the final to play in :)

If Derry get made bottom of the Premier ,Shels and Fingal has to fancy their chances against Drogheda or Bray. ( i mean as winner of the play off and not in a tag team sort of way :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Play-offs difficult to understand yeah? :rolleyes:

Yeah the most likely outcome if anything is in fact that Shels and Fingal will indeed play each other next year.

I rate Shels chances of beating both teams in the play offs at ~10% and I think that could be generous

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Slash/ED wrote: »
    Yeah the most likely outcome if anything is in fact that Shels and Fingal will indeed play each other next year.

I rate Shels chances of beating both teams in the play offs at ~10% and I think that could be generous

That is definitely not generous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

You think we've a better than 1/10 chance of beating two competent teams, the latter over two legs? We've had alot of luck over the course of the season this season, alot. We're frankly in a false position, and don't forget Fingal would have comfortably beaten us in Morton were it not for a freak goalkeeping error

Slash/ED wrote: »
    You think we've a better than 1/10 chance of beating two competent teams, the latter over two legs? We've had alot of luck over the course of the season this season, alot. We're frankly in a false position, and don't forget Fingal would have comfortably beaten us in Morton were it not for a freak goalkeeping error

Still haunts me.:(

I think the winner of the Shels-Fingal game should be confident of beating the loser of the premier division play-off, they will have more confidence from a good season and then beating the other team, whereas the premier division losers will come into the match having just lost and on the back of an already poor season. The gap isn't that huge and first division teams have already had good results against premier opposition this year. If Shels go through I'd be optimistic enough over the two legs.

Play-off will be at Tolka on tuesday, results tonight:
    Kildare County 1-5 Shelbourne
    Sporting Fingal 2-3 Athlone.
    Fingal had another player sent-off so that's two players missing for them through suspension. Any of the Fingal fan know what kind of side you played tonight?
    Really looking forward to this match now, should be a good game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

odd feeling about this, want Fingal to win as i hate Shels passionatley but Shels might bring double the amount of fans so more money for Pats.

Nope sorry has to be Fingal and there fans, anything that keeps Shels down longer is a good thing and with Derry joining them could be another year down there for them yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

dreamers75 wrote: »
    odd feeling about this, want Fingal to win as i hate Shels passionatley but Shels might bring double the amount of fans so more money for Pats.

Might? Might bring double? :eek:

Yeah, that's it, Shels might bring 24 (no, I haven't dropped a zero) fans to an away game in Inchicore. Bloody hell lad! :pac:

sd08 wrote: »
    Any of the Fingal fan know what kind of side you played tonight?

Fingal rested the majority of the first team regulars tonight. There were 6-7 from the U20s who played tonight. A bit unlucky to be beaten 3-2, since they hit the post at least once, and had some very close shots, and some great saves from the Athlone keeper.

Conan Byrne and Lorcan Fitzgerald both came off early, to rest them for Tue.

sd08 wrote: »
    Play-off will be at Tolka on tuesday, results tonight:
    Kildare County 1-5 Shelbourne
    Sporting Fingal 2-3 Athlone.
    Fingal had another player sent-off so that's two players missing for them through suspension. Any of the Fingal fan know what kind of side you played tonight?
    Really looking forward to this match now, should be a good game.

Doyle went in hard but got the ball and the athlone lad tripped over the ball in a heap and doyle got sent off. He wouldnt have been starting on tuesday anyway so its not an issue. We had 6 or 7 of the under 20's out tonight and a reserve keeper.
    Athlone were good for the win and their fans made a good show and fair play to them. Cant complain of tonights result but looking forward to tues as its a bigger game than the cup final and we should have a far stronger side out for it. I know shels and fingal fans are not buddy buddys but if Fingal win id know exactly how you feel as id be gutted if we lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Nerves. :eek:

Massive, massive game for Shels tonight.

Hoping for a huge crowd and of course a win.

Would love it to be a nice comfortable 4 or 5 nil, but a Dean Delaney hoof bouncing over their 'keeper in injury time would do it for me.

A win tonight is a must, as with other teams likely to drop out of the PD, it puts the winners a bit further up the ladder when it comes to maybe getting a de facto promotion.

COME ON SHELS

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement