Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shels v Sporting Fingal Playoff

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Not since the late 90's when Shels played Rangers in a European Tie have I wanted them to win a game, but

"Come on Shels"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Certainly a very big and important game tonight. I can't really see too many goals being scored. Maybe 2-1 (to Fingal).

I'd even settle for a 1-0 win for Fingal tonight.

Either way, there has to be a result - extra time and penalties if needed. Nerve wrecking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Not confident at all, and absolutely bricking it. Literally got zero sleep last night, and will be taking tomorrow off work probably to try and recover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Yeah nerve racking alright I just can't see us beating Franchise, but you never know with football. With a bit of luck Hynes is fit to play from the start.

Des wrote: »
    Would love it to be a nice comfortable 4 or 5 nil, but a Damien Brennan hoof bouncing over their 'keeper in injury time would do it for me.
    FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Unless you're talking about the goal on the Drums pitch outside Tolka because there's no way a Brennan hoof would go in a Tolka Park goal, he can't kick straight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Serious nerves.

There is always hope he shanks one off his ankle goalbound. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Can we just start the game now please. Im too impatient.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Can we just start the game now please. Im too impatient.

you bringing the childer?

Pint?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

how much will tickets be for students tonight does anyone know?

adamski8 wrote: »
    how much will tickets be for students tonight does anyone know?

Probably a tenner.

It's going to be a slow day ... want/waiting to get to the match and then get it started.

Come on clock ... go faster. :D

What's the story with the SFers coming out of the woodwork :confused: Where did you all appear from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

What's the story with the SFers coming out of the woodwork :confused: Where did you all appear from?
    if your referring to me. im a wexford youths supporter but im gonna go along cause i think it will be a good game. of course if im not welcome.....;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

C'mon Sporting Fingal :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Iago wrote: »

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

adamski8 wrote: »
    if your referring to me. im a wexford youths supporter but im gonna go along cause i think it will be a good game. of course if im not welcome.....;)
    Not you, no.
    :)

Iago wrote: »

You've played your last game for Boardeaux boyo.

You've played your last game for Boardeaux boyo.

you guys are always giving out that we won't support our local club, and then when I do I'm threatened with losing my place.

that's not cool man, not cool at all ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

I'm not nervous at all as I've exactly zero expectations. I'll either be right or very very pleasantly surprised...

• Advertisement

Do you live in Fingal? :confused:

Bohs would be your local club.

Morton Stadium is around a 5 minute walk from my house, well maybe 10 now ;)

they're definitely closer than Bohs to me, but mostly I'm in it for the winding up!

A mod :eek:

Wumming! :eek::eek:

:D:D

Yeah but seriously, you're still dropped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

will this be the last game in tolka? if so sad times.

hope shelbourne win and then beat bray or drogheda!!!

bring back the traditional dublin derby;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

COME ON THE REAL REDS!!!!

major bill wrote: »
    will this be the last game in tolka? if so sad times.

hope shelbourne win and then beat bray or drogheda!!!

bring back the traditional dublin derby;)
    Friday COULD be the last after we dispose of the fungus. But with a bit of luck we will get next season in Tolka, there hasn't been a wisper from the board either way since the fans forum.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Don't suppose this is on tv?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

C'mon Fingal!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Slowly but surely growing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

dsmythy wrote: »
    Slowly but surely growing.

Its great that North County Dublin finally has something to get behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

C'mon Shels! Balls thought this was on tomorrow night.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Fingal 2-0 up

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

All over. Fingal win 2-1.

Up until Delaney injured himself we were the better team halfway through the first half, that broke our momentum, and they came into it, scoring two goals quickly. The second was an awful mistake bu our left full, Hedderman.

Second half was shíte, then we got a penalty, scored by Maccer, then Bisto Flood stupidly pushed their keeper in an attempt to get the ball back. The fúcking clown had already been booked, and so was sent off. That killed our chances I think.

Anyway, come on Drogs.

Also, Gary O'Neill is shameful.

Some observations from the match...

- Yes it was relatively even until they scored/Deano's injury, but they actually had the ability to pass the ball, run at defenders and exploit the almost generous amount of space we allowed them. We don't have that ability. In that regard, quite simply, they're far better then us and exploiting our failings at the back was inevitable

- I genuinely think Flood should never play for us again. A series of garbage performances I can tolerate if he's trying, but his sheer stupidity cost us a shot at that game right there and is beyond forgiving. Absolutely beyond forgiving. The only weird part of the decision is why it wasn't a straight red

- Jesus the ref was awful, O'Neill should have been sent off for a second yellow but he did nothing. Not that it matters, our post goal momentum lasted roughly 10 seconds and it probably wouldn't have helped matters, but his constant pulling free kicks back when we had the ball on the wing and the like really grated, as did his allowing Fingal to time waste with impunity and take throw ins from somewhere within 50 feet of where they were awarded, but we also benefited from that

- Fingal really let us back into the game. They were destroying us but decided to stop playing football and start time wasting and also putting men behind the ball, why do ALL league of Ireland teams do this? Is it in our genes to be so pathologically afraid of having a lead in a game and so we stop doing the things that got us the lead in the first place? It cost Shels against Limerick last year, I find it baffling

From the Shels point of view and for next season, we need some changes. An entire new backline bare Quighley and Synott is the main one, and a striker is another. I actually quite rate Hynes and think he is harshly criticized and has played very well this season and would benefit playing beside someone who has something approaching a brain. It's hard to be positive now, but assuming Fingal and their huge resources beat Bray, the league will be far far weaker next year and Shels should be the huge favourites for promotion bar unforseen circumstances, something they weren't this season but almost got there more by accident than design really

If Keely goes, I'll say I often didn't agree with his selections, like tonight, but he has to be given an immense amount of credit, overall he has done an incredible job, and can keep his head held high despite falling right at the very end twice. Fingal deserved it really, they played football, we didn't, but I'd have fancied us to get something if it wasn't for Floods utter utter stupidity.

Meah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

Fúck my life.

Oh and it'd be a small miracle if Delaney, Mcalister or Synott line up for us next year but we should do everything in our power to try make that happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sd08

Absolutely gutted after that, Fingal are clearly a better team than us but I feel like they didn't really play tonight, it was our own defence's incompetence that cost us, Keely should never have played at centre back, Hedderman can't play left-back, Quigley should have been on from the start, and Mark O'Brien has done nothing recently. We seemed to be slightly on top until Delaney went down, but their goals were an absolute shambles from our point of view, for the first O'Neill should never have gotten through and I don't know where the marking was on Zayed, he was able to easily take that without even being challenged, and the second Williams ran at the defence without even a hint of a challenge.
    As for us I felt we never looked like scoring and the penalty was lucky to be given, Bist always looked likely to get sent-off from early on so it came as no surprise when he did.
    Referee was very poor as usual, giving stupid frees and bookings, and he bottled it against O'Neill at the end, who for his part as an ex-Shels player was and absolute disgrace and deserved to be sent-off for his lack of respect alone.

Yeah I was very disappointed in O'Neill, a chap I'd alot of time for as a player for Shels, he was criminally underused, no need for his antics tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sd08

Oh, and does anyone know what happened to McGill?
    I did have a strange thought that it might have been some kind of last minute notice about a suspension like what happened with O'Brien earlier in the season, but I'm sure there's a simpler answer than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

I hope Bray pull this one out of the bag although I doubt they will. Come on the Seagulls.

I hope Bray pull this one out of the bag although I doubt they will. Come on the Seagulls.

Oh, I might go to them games.

I really can't see Bray doing it. In fairness, I'd say that Fingal will run rings around them, and probably win 3-0.

Paulw wrote: »
    I really can't see Bray doing it. In fairness, I'd say that Fingal will run rings around them, and probably win 3-0.

Fungus probably will get them over the 2 legs. In fairness in having Zayed, Kirby and Byrne, they have an attacking threat that is as good as any Premier side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

sd08 wrote: »
    Oh, and does anyone know what happened to McGill?
    I did have a strange thought that it might have been some kind of last minute notice about a suspension like what happened with O'Brien earlier in the season, but I'm sure there's a simpler answer than that.
    AFAIK a pulled hamstring in the warm up.

• Advertisement

Oh, I might go to them games.

I might head to the Monday game myself. If it's in Bray it'll be lovely.

I might head to the Monday game myself. If it's in Bray it'll be lovely.

The Monday game is in Bray alright, I live near enough to Santry, and the in-laws live in Bray, might head to both.

Certainly a very big and important game tonight. I can't really see too many goals being scored. Maybe 2-1 (to Fingal).

Well, guess I got it right. A tense a nervous end to the game.

I honestly thought that Fingal would go on to score more, especially after the two quick goals.

Shels had the best of the first 20 mins, but then Fingal settled down and started to pass the ball around.

Two well taken goals.

I actually think the free kick was also a goal, and the keeper pulled it back from behind the line. I was down in that corner, but the assistant ref (Hilda, her last LOI game) wasn't watching the ball.

Fingal were stupid to sit back and allow Shels to come at them, which caused the penalty. It had to happen.

Anyway, a result in the end, and I can't see Bray being major opposition.

I actually think the free kick was also a goal, and the keeper pulled it back from behind the line. I was down in that corner, but the assistant ref (Hilda, her last LOI game) wasn't watching the ball.
    Wasn't close to going in.

where were you sitting? I was in Section E, Main Stand, right down near the goal, were you in the Ballybough or the Riverside?

Delaney definitely got to that ball before it crossed the line, quite a good save.
    Fingal were stupid to sit back and allow Shels to come at them, which caused the penalty. It had to happen.

Shelsweb are saying it was a dive, obviously I wasn't at that end, so am none the wiser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Caso looked to be outside the box for the peno too. I was in the home stand down that end.
    Shocking defending from Shels, the amount of times Fingal found guys in acres of space was unreal.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement