Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shels v Sporting Fingal Playoff

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Des wrote: »
    Wasn't close to going in.

where were you sitting?

Here's a pict of the ball on it's way back out from the keeper.

4093453837_63d48ebb26.jpg

I was down on the pitch.
    Shelsweb are saying it was a dive, obviously I wasn't at that end, so am none the wiser

I was way too far away to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Some Pics

4094171254_ddc642e7b0.jpg

4093408763_141dd1f805.jpg

4093405767_f95671fb33.jpg

Full set here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Paulw wrote: »
    Here's a pict of the ball on it's way back out from the keeper.

I think that's inconclusive, Deano's hand is outside the post anyway.

Meh, it's academic at this stage.
    Quint wrote: »
    Shocking defending from Shels, the amount of times Fingal found guys in acres of space was unreal.

the amount of space their right winger had in the second half was unreal, any crossfield ball and they would have been straight in.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sd08

Quint wrote: »
    Caso looked to be outside the box for the peno too. I was in the home stand down that end.
    Shocking defending from Shels, the amount of times Fingal found guys in acres of space was unreal.
    I actually thought that too, but I was at the halfway line so my view wasn't the best, still didn't stop me from screaming "PENO!" at the top of my voice though.

Full set here!

Ah mate, the banner in the Shels End, you cropped out the word "club"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

If I ever see Anto Flood in a Reds jersey again I will puke. His lack of discipline has cost us a huge amount of potential points in games he's played, and his mouth is the reason we had no first choice striker available when we dropped 2 points at home to Athlone.

I love Peter Hynes. There, I said it. I've been saying it all year, the man is fantastic for us, and brings the midfield into our attacking play. His first touch is excellent, and he gets on with the job in hand without turning into the Incredible Sulk if things aren't going his way.

I think Dermot will walk, which is fair enough, it has to happen at some stage. If he does, much credit and thanks to the man for all he has done for us over the years.

Players I'd kill to see remain at the club; Deano, McAllister, Hynes, Synnott (currently on loan, no chance), Nipper.

As for Giller, I heard he was on the team sheet to be starting, and never turned up. :confused:

I'm shocked Darren Quigley was allowed to play, but it wouldn't have mattered, the only thing he had to do all night was face a penalty. We didn't test him all night, for all our early posession we never worked him, while Fingal hit the post and worked Deano when they broke. The difference in quality was really shown up tonight.

As for Gary O'Neill, quite literally my favourite player at Shels when he was with us, I loved his work ethic and admired his skill, but I was disgusted by what he reduced himself to tonight. Beyond that, I'm disgusted at myself for ever having felt anything but seething hatred and disgust for the player.

I know :( School boy error!

Why would you be shocked Quigly was allowed to play?

He was involved with the Derry scandal, and prior to today I'm pretty sure the FAI said any player involved with dual contracts would be suspended and ineligible to play - but I'm guessing they meant from March.

Pointless anyways, as I said we didn't work the keeper, and I've only just this second finished reading the statements from the other Derry players and the FAI that were released tonight. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Fingal were by far the better side tonight. Fair play to them.

Oh, and Shels were helped very greatly by the referee :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

Oh, and Shels were helped very greatly by the referee :eek:

You really are having a laugh? You must have been in the group of morons that stood closet to the shels fans, waving certain signs towards them.

Töpher wrote: »
    He was involved with the Derry scandal, and prior to today I'm pretty sure the FAI said any player involved with dual contracts would be suspended and ineligible to play - but I'm guessing they meant from March.

He was cleared by the FAI to play in the game. Any potential issues there relating to Derry were sorted long before the game tonight. He was never in any risk of not playing.

Well, I just uploaded my small set of images here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

I love Peter Hynes. There, I said it. I've been saying it all year, the man is fantastic for us, and brings the midfield into our attacking play. His first touch is excellent, and he gets on with the job in hand without turning into the Incredible Sulk if things aren't going his way.

The stick he gets is unreal. Put him beside a good striker and you'd see how effective his passing really is. Also his goal in Santry was sublime.

Walsh wrote: »
    You really are having a laugh?

Eh. He gave you lot a peno, for something that happened outside the box. Along with an awful lot of other decisions. 'Nuff said.

You must have been in the group of morons that stood closet to the shels fans, waving certain signs towards them.

Really? And why must have I been there?

Slash/ED wrote: »
    The stick he gets is unreal. Put him beside a good striker and you'd see how effective his passing really is. Also his goal in Santry was sublime.
    Hynes will never score 20 goals a year, you're probably looking at about 7 or 8 tops, but he will create tonnes of chances for his team mates. Quite how he gets stick for this I'll never know!
    Paulw wrote:
    He was cleared by the FAI to play in the game. Any potential issues there relating to Derry were sorted long before the game tonight. He was never in any risk of not playing.

Aye, I reckoned Fingal had done their homework by the time he took to the pitch, but still! ;)

Eh. He gave you lot a peno, for something that happened outside the box. Along with an awful lot of other decisions. 'Nuff said.
    Such as sending-off Flood, not giving us free-kicks, not sending-off Gary O'Neill on at least one occasion, giving Colin O'Brien a talking-to after he clearly won the ball in a tackle, giving the free-kick you almost scored from when Zayed dived, the list could go on, but that's all I can think of for now.

Awful decisions? Like not booking the Fingal player who gave away the penalty, as he'd been booked earlier?

I'm not saying that changed anything, just saying he was shocking overall, and ridiculously poor for both sides. How many yards could Fingal steal with every bleedin' throw? :eek: :)

I don't support Fingal ffs :eek:

I was just saying, that from my perspective, Tom Connolly had an awful game and for some reason or the other was leaning towards Shels.

Leaning towards Shels? He sent off one of our lads for trying to get the ball back to the centre circle after scoring! :pac:

• Advertisement

Leaning towards Shels? He sent off one of our lads for trying to get the ball back to the centre circle after scoring! :pac:

Haha in fairness, Bisto milled the Fingal keeper.

Was it a straight red or second yellow? I didn't notice :o

Eh. He gave you lot a peno, for something

Shed End Invincable or whatever your shambolic set of fans call themselves gave it away.

Shed End Invincable or whatever your shambolic set of fans call themselves gave it away.

Your laughed at lad. What's another year, eh?

Haha in fairness, Bisto milled the Fingal keeper.

Was it a straight red or second yellow? I didn't notice :o
    It was a second yellow anyway. But from where I was sitting it seemed very inocuous, Bisto was doing what any player would do, getting the ball back to the centre as quick as possible to get on with the game, and whether he pushed the keeper or not Quigley was still being a fool for getting in the way, and the defender who booted the ball towards the stands was just as bad, so from that perspective it was harsh, unless Bisto did actually strike rather than push?:confused:

Your laughed at lad. What's another year, eh?
    I'm laughed at? theres a reason Richard walked out on you lot ;) Now get back on topic and stop wumming.

sd08 wrote: »
    It was a second yellow anyway. But from where I was sitting it seemed very inocuous, Bisto was doing what any player would do, getting the ball back to the centre as quick as possible to get on with the game, and whether he pushed the keeper or not Quigley was still being a fool for getting in the way, and the defender who booted the ball towards the stands was just as bad, so from that perspective it was harsh, unless Bisto did actually strike rather than push?:confused:

Yeah, I dunno like from where I was it look like he hit him rather than pushed. But I dunno, suppose we'll see if there's highlights.

Once Bisto got sent off though, yous were fooked. Silly thing to do in such a big game!

• Advertisement

Damn there was a flag-pole blocking the view, though what I did see suggested it was a strike rather a push and the ref was on it straight anyway, and seemed in a good position.

I'm laughed at? theres a reason Richard walked out on you lot ;) Now get back on topic and stop wumming.

He resigned as CEO. He's on the Board of Directors still.

In what way am I wumming? :rolleyes:

You said "group of morons" and "shambolic fans" or something along them lines, not me. I went to the game, came home, and posted my opinion of it on here and just because you don't agree... I'm wumming :rolleyes:

Damn there was a flag-pole blocking the view, though what I did see suggested it was a strike rather a push and the ref was on it straight anyway, and seemed in a good position.

Yeah, looked to be a strike rather than a little push.

So, he's definitely not trying to stop himself from crashing into the keeper after Quigley purposely gets in the way to stop Shels getting to the ball quickly? :eek: :pac:

• Advertisement

So, he's definitely not trying to stop himself from crashing into the keeper after Quigley purposely gets in the way to stop Shels getting to the ball quickly? :eek: :pac:

Is Quigley the franchise 'keeper? :o I thought it was Bennion for some reason or the other lol

As much as I want to believe this I think Bisto let the frustration of the preceeding few minutes get to him and did lash out, and with Bisto it seems to happen too often.

I think Bennion is their reserve keeper, and he played against Athlone on saturday.

According to both the Fingal website, and Soccerway, former Shelbourne keeper James Hussey (*cough* 4-0 away to Monaghan *cough*) is Fingals #2.

It seems that Chris Konopka is their number 2, according to the report for the Athlone match, and he was also on the bench tonight from what I remember, not sure where I got Bennion from though:confused:

Too many games against Dundalk, that's where! :(

Too many games against Dundalk, that's where! :(
    I'd take four more next season though.:(

AH man, NOW I'm depressed! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Was there a game on tonight:confused::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Same old Shelbourne always cheating :D I thought the ref had a shels shirt on and the lineswoman wasnt any better. He was the worst ref ive seen and hadnt clue. The pitch was in bits, groundsman didnt get paid or what?
    I knew that the ref would give shels a penalty if a Fingal player came within a yard of a shels player near the box. It wasnt even a foul and it was outside the box.

On a happier note, im glad it was Sporting Fingal that beat Shelbourne in their last match at tolka :) Thats a nice one for the history books.

We have won nothing yet but barring a nightmare against Bray i think we should win over the 2 legs.

What is the deal with the real football real fans banner?
    You dont play real football and your fans are glory hunters. Not much glory for them for a while yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Real footbal fans banner :D:D

If that was an advertisment for real football last night well i'll eat my hat, i've seen better football in my local park and actually i've seen better pitches in my local park too:cool:

• Advertisement

cymro wrote: »
    Same old Shelbourne always cheating :D I thought the ref had a shels shirt on and the lineswoman wasnt any better. He was the worst ref ive seen and hadnt clue. The pitch was in bits, groundsman didnt get paid or what?
    I knew that the ref would give shels a penalty if a Fingal player came within a yard of a shels player near the box. It wasnt even a foul and it was outside the box.

On a happier note, im glad it was Sporting Fingal that beat Shelbourne in their last match at tolka :) Thats a nice one for the history books.

We have won nothing yet but barring a nightmare against Bray i think we should win over the 2 legs.

You dont play real football and your fans are glory hunters. Not much glory for them for a while yet.

Ah come on, the officials were just shocking all round, not biased towards either side. There were some disgraceful decisions given to both sides, for example the ref bottled giving Paisley a second yellow for the penalty decision and some of those free kicks Zayed was winning 20 yards out were highly questionable!

The weather of late had effected the pitch, I'll try to ignore your childish comment that followed and not take the bait.

The banner read "Real football club, real fans", for the record. It hopefully won't need explaining.

Glory hunters? Yeah, that's why we all still turn up week in week out, home and away, in the graveyard division, watching the tripe served up to us. I'm pretty sure we've had more up in Ballybofey than your own club has had at some home games this season - a little bit of perspective would go a long way. We may not have the largest fan group, but our fans our loyal and passionate.

It's nice to see that grace in victory is alive and well, :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Real footbal fans banner :D:D

If that was an advertisment for real football last night well i'll eat my hat, i've seen better football in my local park and actually i've seen better pitches in my local park too:cool:
    It was an advertisement for a real Football Club even the most faithful Shels fan will admit we play hoofball.

How bad was Brennan again last night, we where outplayed by a better team. Hopefully the club can stay together over the winter and we come back fighting again next year with a new manager at the reigns.

I for one hope Franchise get promoted.

I think Bennion is their reserve keeper, and he played against Athlone on saturday.

Quigley has been the main keeper all season, and Chris Konopka was signed mid way through the season, and has played a few games.

James Hussey was the reserve keeper at the start of the season, but left fairly early on. The keeping coach Robbie Horgan stood in as reserve keeper after that, and until Konopka was signed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

I really, really hope that something mightily unpleasant happens to your football club :) Talk about being ungracious in defeat. Disgusting

:D

Comedy post, defiantly my vote for post of the year. Glory hunting fans :rolleyes:

261895143a7496111790l.jpg
    One down three to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

In fairness our fans only show up for the glamor of LOI first division football. Take away the fairytale trips to Athlone and who'd still be around? Be honest now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Jesus, stay classy.

And labelling Shels fans still there singing on their team after two years of Division 1 "glory hunters" is beyond lol. Just a horrendous post.

Slash/ED wrote: »
    In fairness our fans only show up for the glamor of LOI first division football. Take away the fairytale trips to Athlone and who'd still be around? Be honest now
    :D

cymro you are another reason I dislike your franchise, and as for the ref correct me if I'm wrong but he was the one who gave Finn Harps the phantom peno in ballybofey in the summer which robbed us of 2 points.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    And labelling Shels fans still there singing on their team after two years of Division 1 "glory hunters"

Three. ;)

And four is on the way. :(

• Advertisement

Three. ;)

And four is on the way. :(

And no home for next season either ... just a ground share with Bohs. That should be interesting.

Not an easy life for a Shels fan. ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement