Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C++ in linux

Options
  • 03-11-2009 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭

Could anyone tell me what would be the best c++ development environment in linux as i'm trying to only use linux on my laptop and this is the only thing holding me back as want to still be able to learn c++ on it. I've been using visual studio 2008 on windows.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

If you're used to developing within an IDE, then there's KDevelop and Anjuta available that are both good IDE's for developing C++ applications. If you're interested in developing GUI applications then I'd give these a look. They're quite close with the feature set of what you get in VS, including intelli-sense and graphical debugging.

There's also the C++ plugin for Eclipse that I'm sure should work also, but I'm not sure how good it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

+1 for KDevelop, it's almost worth it for the insanely over-the-top (but in a good way) syntax highlighting in the new one.

That said a lot of people (myself included most of the time) like to just go for text editor + console, especially for smaller apps. Some text editors (such as Kate, can't really think of others) have console plugins or something similar so you can just push a button and console comes up, push again and it's hidden without changing window, which is helpful for compiling/running as you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

I use vim in a screen session (so I can toggle between a shell for compilation and my code). I make particular use of tabs in vim and ctags.

Probably not so good for GUI stuff though.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Vim, make, g++ and svn here; but that may not be the most userfriendly solution...
    (Oh, and ddd for debugging)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Steveire

Check out qtctreator too. If you're on ubuntu the qt-sdk package will download all you need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

There's also eclipse with the cdt (?) plugin for c\c++ development

I'm currently using it on linux for maemo development and like it. Although I haven't used it for normal linux development

Advertisement