Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antenna Gain Question

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

Gain can be stated as dBm, dBi, dB in comparison to other antennas etc.

Some manufacturers just pick gain figures out of the air, like an Antron for CB had a 9dB gain :P

Only way to know is to give it a lash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 bmw316

your wasting your time with this if your 3d device is not up to it well then your up the canal with no paddle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

bmw316 wrote: »
    your wasting your time with this if your 3d device is not up to it well then your up the canal with no paddle.

Sorry I don't know what you mean ??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

A dipole is 2dbi - that's the simplist antenna you can get

the 5dbi one is a little better , emphasis on little rather than better

this will, if you believe them , double the signal to the modem a gain of 3dB

if you want a higher gain then just buy a usb extension cable and reposition the modem to get a better signal. after this you could get a empty plastic 2L bottle , cut it in half and cover in thin foil to act like a dish/mirror, put the modem in the centre , should give you more than 3dB http://www.instructables.com/id/Cheap_and_easy_WIFI_antenna_signal_booster_that_is/

use this site to check which mast is the nearest so you can see band / direction
    http://www.askcomreg.ie/mobile/siteviewer.273.LE.asp

problem here is not your antenna but lack of coverage from service provider i cannot see you getting a huge gain from these outdoor antennas if your service is bad to start with.
    you might be in a black spot as i know i am living in the city and have a blackspot when it comes to mobile phones?

thank god for ntl and there setup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

bmw316 wrote: »
    problem here is not your antenna but lack of coverage from service provider i cannot see you getting a huge gain from these outdoor antennas if your service is bad to start with.
    you might be in a black spot as i know i am living in the city and have a blackspot when it comes to mobile phones?

thank god for ntl and there setup.

A little understanding of RF would help.

Providing there is a signal there to start with, it can be improved with higher gain antennae. Whether this particular antenna is up to the job, I don't know. Losses in the coax have to be considered. The main improvement may be in the height of the aerial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Hi..
    I went ahead and bought the antenna and am very happy with the results.. Have no more problems with "no signal" and broadband speed is much improved.. As Fuzzy Clam stated the actual advantage may be the increase in height but it worked anyway..
    I may opt for a simple pole mount as I could gain some more height and clear the house completly, it's currently sitting in the gutter above the room wondow as a temp arrangement..

Thanks..
    bbam

well done its always good to try new things and understanding rf is a must;)

Advertisement