Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halti leads

Options
  • 03-11-2009 2:49pm

Hey

i recently purchased one of these for my Husky . Reason being, he is nearly one year and just getting too strong . I was shocked by how effective this item is. It is like walking a pussy cat.

Anybody else use them or had any other experiences with them ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Yep I got one because my dog can be hard to control when he's first out. He's excited and pulls his hardest. Him being strong as an ox, and me being 5ft nothing meant if he decided to go sniff something, thats what he was going to do!

At first it irritated his eyes, but I had it adjusted incorrectly. Once I fixed it, it was fine. It serves 2 purposes, it makes walking enjoyable again and it complies with laws which says he has to be muzzled.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Please be advised that the Halt is a training aid, not a replacement for a traditional lead and collar/harness.

If you use the Halti as the only collar, there is a great risk of injury should the dog run into the Halti at full speed and get its head jerked around, it could do itself quite some nasty neck damage including broken vertebrae.

They are great for training though.

I heard that actually. And I can see myself that it could be doing more harm with his walking than good TBH.

Kieran wont use a halti on the dog, he thinks it looks silly and has been maintaining the sharp check and release with his usual leather collar. Thing is though, he has the strength to do that. He's walking much better for him now, yet if I try take him out without the halti, he drags me around.

What I've been doing to try wean him (and me) off the halti is let Kieran lead him for the first while of the walk. After his walk and a bit of off lead running around he's tired enough to walk properly, I take him then. Probably not worth my while, but it's a start :o I'd like to think it teaches him that it is possible to walk properly for me, like break the PULL !!!association he seems to have if that makes sense.

For the meantime though, I will have to keep using it. For his safety and my comfort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

i tried one on the Shepherd, she chewed through it before i got to the gate :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I use the dogmatic head collar on my dog, they are much better than the normal halti and dont ride up into the eyes as they are much better quality.

http://www.dogmatic.org.uk/

They are well worth the money and i bought 2 in crufts this year for my rottie and they last very well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭YOURFACE!

Can the Halti really be used as a muzzle? Where did you hear this? I'd much prefer a Halti to an ugly muzzle that gives off the wrong impression about my dog :)

I heard it here on the forum actually, but I can't remember from who. Maybe someone could confirm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 sabbyp

You should try the Sense-ible harness, they are gentle and comfortable on the dog but allow brilliant control for the owner. One of my dogs is very strong and a puller, I'm working on re-training him and I just got one of these and its great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

sabbyp wrote: »
    You should try the Sense-ible harness, they are gentle and comfortable on the dog but allow brilliant control for the owner. One of my dogs is very strong and a puller, I'm working on re-training him and I just got one of these and its great.

The only problem with any harness for a northern breed, and the OP is talking about a husky, is if you want to work the dog. In fact, any dog can be worked in harness, and they learn to differentiate between walking nicely in a collar and pulling hard while in a harness - well, thats the theory anyway. My lot still just pull whether they're wearing their harness or not:D

I've used haltis and dogmatics, and have to agree with andreac that the dogmatic is much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Satyr_The_Great

peasant wrote: »
    Please be advised that the Halt is a training aid, not a replacement for a traditional lead and collar/harness.

If you use the Halti as the only collar, there is a great risk of injury should the dog run into the Halti at full speed and get its head jerked around, it could do itself quite some nasty neck damage including broken vertebrae.

They are great for training though.

The HALTI is not just a training aid. IT CAN be used for the usual collar for when you are walking your dog. YES they do aid in training but that is not their only purpose. 2 purposes of the HALTI are : 1 ) Training aid and 2 ) FOr dogs who pull when out walking.

• Advertisement

The thing about head collars, all head collars, is that they convert the pulling force of the dog from a forward movement of the whole dog into a sideways movement of the head only.

This is fine and dandy when the dog is only starting to pull, because immediately the head will move to the side, the dog will look at you and you can have your training about not pulling and walking to heel, etc

The story is quite different if your dog is at the full extension of the lead and suddenly decides to run off in the opposite direction. By the time it has travelled the full length of the slack lead and the collar starts pulling, it will have gathered enough momentum that its head will not only be gently turned but violently jerked around.
    Take the worst case example of a long lead, a heavy dog and full speed and your looking at a broken neck :eek:

This is why you are supposed to have a traditional lead and collar/harness on the dog at the same time. The normal collar/harness is to be used to hold/control the dog ...the head collar is for training/steering only.

I see what you're saying and it's true. But in all fairness, if your dog is at the full extension of the lead then you're not using the collar to the best effect anyway. So it's more about how you use it than the product itself.

Indeed ...and it IS supposed to be used in conjunction with a normal lead. (at least I remember the packaging on our Halti saying something to that regard)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Yep I got one because my dog can be hard to control when he's first out. He's excited and pulls his hardest. Him being strong as an ox, and me being 5ft nothing meant if he decided to go sniff something, thats what he was going to do!

At first it irritated his eyes, but I had it adjusted incorrectly. Once I fixed it, it was fine. It serves 2 purposes, it makes walking enjoyable again and it complies with laws which says he has to be muzzled.
    helena, check out the dog whisperer on nat geo wild, the pulling, is one of his most common problems,and he shows you how to rectify it,i have no problem with my bully,mind you i walk faster than him.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Crazyivan 1979

The DSPCA told me that it is accepted as a muzzle by dog wardens, when I picked up my rottie x, who is 2 yrs old today! Happy birthday Ben!

Although an over zealous gard/ warden with a chip on his shoulder might see it differently!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Satyr_The_Great

If the halti is used properly, the dog wont pull or do the sideways movement of the head. MY springer,, who is REALLY energetic and STRONG, does not and will not pull with the halti on, nor will he do the sideways movement of the head. yeah it takes time but if used right the halti can work wonders. Sure its not for every dog, but for alot of dogs, the halti is a good all round collar both for training and general day to day walking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭YOURFACE!

The DSPCA told me that it is accepted as a muzzle by dog wardens, when I picked up my rottie x, who is 2 yrs old today! Happy birthday Ben!

Although an over zealous gard/ warden with a chip on his shoulder might see it differently!

Fantastic!! Thanks so much for confirming this! Happy Birthday Ben! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭molly(",)

i use a halti on my lab for a while now don't use it for training though !! she is just too strong she is ok on the lead now but if i didn't have it on her and she wanted to pull me to food or another dog or in to the lake (which she has done ) she could !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Hermit07

Nevermind the halti. It is not near as effective as the dogmatic headcollar. You can get them on ebay. :D

This headcollar is not just for steering/training and no it wont break your dogs neck either.

Advertisement