Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Mercer Press Culchies Guide To Dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Are there any articles written about?
    I'd need to read more about it before making my decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

Are there any articles written about?
    I'd need to read more about it before making my decision.
    Hang on I'll have a google

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

To be honest I think they should be told to avoid Copper Face Jacks.

In fairness there are no real no go areas in Dublin if you have your wits about you, but I suppose that wouldn't be true of someone who has just moved to Dublin.

Mercier Press' synopsis of the book.

For anyone not bothered to click on the link:
    The Culchies Guide to Dublin captures all of the facts about the Big Smoke that we all know but are too politically correct to talk about – that Crumlin is a kip for example, or that Dubs know nothing about their own city.
    So we’ve produced The Most Honest Map of Dublin Ever showing all of Dublin’s suburbs referenced with film certs so you know whether you should wear a dress suit or flak jacket when visiting.

We’ve also included a chapter on Things That Dubs Should Know But Don’t – why they’re called Jackeens and so on. But the Culchies Guide also does what it says on the tin – it’s a genuine travel guide with a twist.
    You’ll never look at the Book of Kells or the GPO in the same light again. All of this and more is covered in Jim Connolly’s hilarious, factual and bleedin’ deadly Culchies Guide to Dublin.

DigiGal wrote: »
    Hang on I'll have a google
    Its still on Joe Duffy now too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Moved to Dublin Forum.

Based on the synopsis, it doesn't seem to be anything new or revolutionary, by any standards.

Seems to be pretty much based on every stereotypical notion of Dublin and areas within it that exist.

Might be a fun read, but I wouldn't suggest anyone takes it seriously!

TheZohan wrote: »
    Moved to Dublin Forum.
    Why? I wanted an AH opinion...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Why was a guide to Dublin for people who may need it moved to the Dublin forum?

lightening wrote: »
    How was that reply in anyway helpful/contributing

• Advertisement

I suppose because it's a book written about Dublin and seemingly, it's quite controversial, so Dublin people might want to be informed about it and give their opinion on it?

I suppose because it's a book written about Dublin and seemingly, it's quite controversial, so Dublin people might want to be informed about it and give their opinion on it?

Fair enough Pika...
    DigiGal wrote: »
    How was that reply in anyway helpful/contributing

It wasn't a reply, it was a question. The question was, why would a book guiding culchies to Dublin be in the Dublin forum?

If you took your time and read my post I am actually agreeing with you. The thread would be better off left in after hours where culchies lurk. Most of the people on the Dublin Forum are from Dublin (not culchies). Other people who come on are usually looking for a specific thing, a restaurant, a club, a pub, where to buy something. When this happens they are helped out by regular posters on the Dublin forum.

Fair enough Pika...

It wasn't a reply, it was a question. The question was, why would a book guiding culchies to Dublin be in the Dublin forum?

If you took your time and read my post I am actually agreeing with you. The thread would be better off left in after hours where culchies lurk. Most of the people on the Dublin Forum are from Dublin (not culchies). Other people who come on are usually looking for a specific thing, a restaurant, a club, a pub, where to buy something. When this happens they are helped out by regular posters on the Dublin forum.
    Dude I quoted the worng person lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Moved to Dublin Forum.

But but but shouldn't a similar thread therefore also be opened in each of the culchie forums ?

Jip wrote: »
    But but but shouldn't a similar thread therefore also be opened in each of the culchie forums ?

Oh, sure! I wasn't saying that shouldn't be the case, I was just offering a suggestion as to why the thread was moved to The Dublin forum.

People often start threads in AH which refer to Dublin and they are moved here, as a lot of people who aren't from Dublin within AH seem to take offence, or get annoyed.

OP, if you want to know why the thread was moved, I'd PM one of the AH mods and inquire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Jip wrote: »

If I want some information on Dublin I will post in the Dublin Forum, if I want some information on Wexford I will post in the Wexford Forum.

Now this is not AH so I would advise sticking to the Dublin Forum Charter.

People won't be as quick to put down areas in Dublin in the Dublin Forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Chulchies guide? Who gives a fcuk what the muck-savages think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Lol, I was about to say.

He may list all the facts he likes, at the end of the day the number one fact about Dublin for culchies to note is that we don't care for their opinion on pretty much anything and ignore their existence unless it's an issue :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

Rb wrote: »
    Lol, I was about to say.

He may list all the facts he likes, at the end of the day the number one fact about Dublin for culchies to note is that we don't care for their opinion on pretty much anything and ignore their existence unless it's an issue :)
    I have to agree with the previous two posts. Looks like a totally pointless book for boggers with a chip on their shoulder. :)

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Exactly! They don't think about anything anyway that isn't related spuds, GAA, their cousin or the weather

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

From what Ive seen and heard of it, it seems to be quite lighthearted and not meant to be taken too seriously.

(I'd imagine our country cousins would recognise that too.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 bubbly123

Ooooo somebody has rattled the jackeens cage! Its just a light hearted funny book. Sure Dubs laugh at themselves in the same way- look at the ross o'carroll kelly books.

Rashers wrote: »
    (I'd imagine our country cousins would recognise that too.)

That's assuming they can read it. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Now this is not AH so I would advise sticking to the Dublin Forum Charter.

Stick to modding your own forum buddy. It was obviously a piss take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Might be an idea to print up one that tells them to avoid Dublin as a whole and hope they fall for it?

Seems like a tongue in cheek book, a stoking filler for would be students coming to Dublin. The author is getting a hammering on Joe Duffy right now! Looks like he has never been to Ballyfermot yet has written all about the place, apologising profusely now...

He's being accused of racism now! This is classic stuff, tune in...

Hahaha, listening to it now yer man is getting hammered. He's making it worse by trying to defend it seemingly as an accurate guide - makes him sound like an idiot. Joe sounds like he wants to batter the bogger.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

Hahaha, listening to it now yer man is getting hammered. He's making it worse by trying to defend it seemingly as an accurate guide - makes him sound like an idiot. Joe sounds like he wants to batter the bogger.
    Not sure why Jooooooooooe Duffyyyyyyyyyy is giving him so much free publicity for his rubbish book. I'd say a few agricultural types will find this under the Christmas tree come Christmas Day. :P

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭gdawg87

I heard this on jo duffy, smarmy jo wouldn't even give the guy a chance to explain and bombarded him with angry callers, where were the callers who thought this was a funny book?? Iv lived in dublin for 5 years while in college. Iv lived in sallynoggin, dun laoghaire, city centre, tallaght and yes even ballyfermot! I don't know why the people of ballyfermot are so pissed off about this book, it's a kip of a place! Rough area full of scumbags! rubbish and dog **** all over the streets! Tallaght village is nice enough but some of the bigger estates are very rough. The guy who wrote the book is right in saying that places like dun laoghaire and dalkey are nicer places to live!
    If there was some book called "jackeens guide to the country" nobody would bat an eyelid.

• Advertisement

gdawg87 wrote: »
    where were the callers who thought this was a funny book??.

I don't think there was any, it's the Joe Duffy show, I wouldn't get too worked up about it!

Advertisement