Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Mercer Press Culchies Guide To Dublin

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

First time I've listened to the Joe Duffy show ever - it's hilarious. A load of grumpy-arsed oul wans banging on about gift vouchers expiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

All the damn bashing of country folk, everyone knows that the people working in Dublin are from the country or their parents were. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

gdawg87 wrote: »
    I heard this on jo duffy, smarmy jo wouldn't even give the guy a chance to explain and bombarded him with angry callers, where were the callers who thought this was a funny book?? Iv lived in dublin for 5 years while in college. Iv lived in sallynoggin, dun laoghaire, city centre, tallaght and yes even ballyfermot! I don't know why the people of ballyfermot are so pissed off about this book, it's a kip of a place! Rough area full of scumbags! rubbish and dog **** all over the streets! Tallaght village is nice enough but some of the bigger estates are very rough. The guy who wrote the book is right in saying that places like dun laoghaire and dalkey are nicer places to live!
    If there was some book called "jackeens guide to the country" nobody would bat an eyelid.

I'm from Ballyfermot and you're more or less spot on, it's grand if you're from here nut it's a bit of a no-go place for outsiders, i didnt hear the Joe Duffy show but i'd hazard a guess as to why he had his knickers in a knot was because he's from Ballyfermot himself.

I think people who are getting offended by this book are looking at it from the perspective of where they grew up, i know Ballyfermot, Tallaght, Finglas etc. have plenty of decent people living there with strong community spirit and identity but they're not the place for tourists, not by a long stretch.

Sure i think the book is pointless anyway because when tourists visit any city they hardly go around wanting to check out all the suburbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

Important boards announcement: anyone that listens to joe duffy needs to cancel their account immediately then go and learn how to suck on an egg.
    I'm heading out to get my copy of that guide now.
    Just as soon as i get this bleedin bag o chips off my shoulder. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

laugh wrote: »
    All the damn bashing of country folk, everyone knows that the people working in Dublin are from the country or their parents were. :p
    :O.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭gdawg87

laugh wrote: »

most people workin in dublin are people from dublin who commute from the country. meath kildare westmeath etc. are over run with dubliners

Advertisement