Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAN ANYONE HELP!!

Options
  • 03-11-2009 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi I just found this wonderful site! Just hope that someone can give me some good advice. I bought a camper during the summer which I was very happy with ( or so I taught). I took it to Doonbeg the Oct. bank holiday weekend. While we was there I noticed water (brown water) dripping from the light in the middle of my camper down on the table. Now its not that much water but I am wondering where it might be coming from I am begining to get really worried:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

It's coming from somewhere on your roof. The problem is to find where from exactly. The water probably enters through a little pin hole / porous seal at some point that is higher up than your lamp, gets inside the roof structure, runs along, collects at the lamp and drips down from there.

It's climb up on roof time, to have a really good look around.

Prime candidates for leaks are:
    - all seals around hatches/rooflights, chimneys, antenna shafts and anything else that goes through the roof
    - on alcove models water tends to collect at the low point behind the hump and creep into the seals at the side
    - if that shows up nothing then it might be one of the seals where the sides are joined with the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

best not to use that light either!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Donnchadh1

Hi Skippyman,

Just a thought.....Your roof would have to be flat for this to work. You could get some of this stuff
    http://www.img-limited.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=98:lava-flow-flat-roof-leak-repair&catid=57:roofing-repairs&Itemid=83

Its not cheap but you wouldn't need alot of it. If you were to wait for a wet day(or use a hose) spread it across the top of the van. When the water goes down to the gap this will find the hole and expand. It should give you maybe 6-8 months of peace and a little time to get it sorted.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh1 wrote: »
    Hi Skippyman,

Just a thought.....Your roof would have to be flat for this to work. You could get some of this stuff
    http://www.img-limited.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=98:lava-flow-flat-roof-leak-repair&catid=57:roofing-repairs&Itemid=83

But hat's for static buildings, not for a vehicle that moves and flexes. A fifteen times expansion in tiny gaps it could actually open more holes than it closes.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Donnchadh1

peasant wrote: »
    But hat's for static buildings, not for a vehicle that moves and flexes. A fifteen times expansion in tiny gaps it could actually open more holes than it closes.

Peasant,

Its designed for flat roofs which do have some movement (expansion)so it may stop the leak temporarily. It also has the advantage showing you where the leak is. (you can now see where it has formed up and you've pinpointed your problem area)

It's does not expand like foam and get hard.It maintains it flexibility and does not go hard so creating more holes isn't really going to happen.

For example....you take an ordinary disposable cup from a water dispenser, put maybe 2 holes in the bottom..fill with water. If you watch the water dripping out through the hole pour some of this in and within seconds it will go directly to the area fill the holes and stop the water leaking. At least thats how I've seen it demo'd

But as you've said it is not designed for a vehicle but had I a leak and gone as far as I could go looking for it, I would have to consider it giving it a go.

Donnchadh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭skippyman

Thanks guys for the advice. Any more suggestions:mad:

You need to identify that leak first ...and with regards to the current weather, quite fast also

You need to identify that leak first ...and with regards to the current weather, quite fast also

Yes your right Peasant!!! will keep you updated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

That man doth speaketh the truth! Check the surrounds of the skylights , vents , the joints in the alloy bead at the edges of the roof , and any possible holes from items that may have been removed , such as Top Boxes . Also if there is any joint across the roof ,check there too .
    I did two leaky roofs this week gone , a Hymer that was mint otherwise , when I pulled the trim off the bead the screws were rotten , typical bad quality Hymer (nearly) stainless screws , and a Chausson for anotherdealer , 740 miles on the clock and water flowing down the wall . That one had bad quality sealant that didn't adhere to the surface .

A lot of the leaks I see are there for years , waiting for heavy rain to show them up . Mostly caused by manufacturers fitting windows and skylights etc without "keying" the surface where the sealant is to bond to . Glue doesn't stick well to shiney surfaces!:mad:

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    That man doth speaketh the truth! Check the surrounds of the skylights , vents , the joints in the alloy bead at the edges of the roof , and any possible holes from items that may have been removed , such as Top Boxes . Also if there is any joint across the roof ,check there too .
    I did two leaky roofs this week gone , a Hymer that was mint otherwise , when I pulled the trim off the bead the screws were rotten , typical bad quality Hymer (nearly) stainless screws , and a Chausson for anotherdealer , 740 miles on the clock and water flowing down the wall . That one had bad quality sealant that didn't adhere to the surface .

A lot of the leaks I see are there for years , waiting for heavy rain to show them up . Mostly caused by manufacturers fitting windows and skylights etc without "keying" the surface where the sealant is to bond to . Glue doesn't stick well to shiney surfaces!:mad:

Mine is a Fiat Ducato 1993. Will try and have a look at it today!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement