Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Deli on the Quay - BERFRANKS

• 03-11-2009 3:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

I went for lunch in Belfry today and on my way out I noticed a new Deli/cafe close by located on the quay called BERFRANKS

Looks impressive from the outside and seemed busy. It is good to see a new business open epsecially when a few have closed (for example O'Briens in city square)

Anyone try it out yet?

I was full so I didnt go in, but I must try it out sometime soon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

I went for lunch in Belfry today and on my way out I noticed a new Deli/cafe close by located on the quay called BERFRANKS

Looks impressive from the outside and seemed busy. It is good to see a new business open epsecially when a few have closed (for example O'Briens in city square)

Anyone try it out yet?

I was full so I didnt go in, but I must try it out sometime soon.

I was in there. Very classy place! :) Lots of fresh foods as well as coffee, etc. Does wines and cheeses as well. Great addition to Waterford, and by the looks of it, they are here for the long haul. Plenty of money spent on the place, and every time I pass it is doing good business. Waterford has been sadly lacking in these kind of places recently.

The Quay has come on a lot over the past few years. Still a good distance to go but it's getting back to where it used to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Chochese

Any idea of the opening times?

Could be good if there was somewhere nice to go for a glass of wine of an evening that isn't a noisy pub!

Chochese wrote: »
    Any idea of the opening times?

Could be good if there was somewhere nice to go for a glass of wine of an evening that isn't a noisy pub!

They're not an evening place unfortunately.

Try Bodega or Harlequin, depending on how much you want to spend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭lassykk

Another competitor to Centra.

From having the quay completely to itself it now has to compete with

1. Berfranks deli for food
    2. Next-Door for off-license
    3. Londis for groceries (soon)

Amazing how quickly things can change!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

What part of the Quay is it on? Sounds like it's worth checking out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

From city square (where Peter Marks is located) walk down to the quay along Conduit Lane. Walk down towards the Belfry hotel to the quay. It is on the right hand side on the corner. You cant miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Blaalarry

So its 1 block down from the clock tower. Where Johnny Hearns used to be.?? I mean , how many Delis are there on the key anyway?/:rolleyes::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Where is that londis going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭ak27

^^^^ It's going to be opposite the bus station I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

There have been quite a few new businesses opening up on the Quay recently, which is great to see.

As mentioned above,

3. Londis for groceries (soon) - beside Dooley's Hotel

plus

4. Fitz You (men's suits, beside the Granville)
    5. Spirit Beauty Spa & Gym (by Days Hotel, open a while now)
    6. Outdoor clothing shop (down by Centra)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Sounds like a nice place Can't wait to check it out next time I'm down home :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

There have been quite a few new businesses opening up on the Quay recently, which is great to see.

As mentioned above,

3. Londis for groceries (soon) - beside Dooley's Hotel

plus

4. Fitz You (men's suits, beside the Granville)
    5. Spirit Beauty Spa & Gym (by Days Hotel, open a while now)
    6. Outdoor clothing shop (down by Centra)

Has the outdoor place opened yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭foxylad

place is cool -
    its the restautant manager from Bodega -
    he knows his stuff -
    all products are Irish sourced (except the wine)

well done on a brave move -
    only open till 6pm -

hope he extends opening hours -
    love wine/cheese/meats

foxylad wrote: »
    place is cool -
    its the restautant manager from Bodega -
    he knows his stuff -
    all products are Irish sourced (except the wine)

well done on a brave move -
    only open till 6pm -

hope he extends opening hours -
    love wine/cheese/meats

It's looking like a pretty shrewd move so far, there's always people in there. His products are so good I can imagine people traveling miles to shop/eat there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

ec18 wrote: »
    Has the outdoor place opened yet?

Yes, opened monday, the army store is closed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

merlante wrote: »
    His products are so good I can imagine people traveling miles to shop/eat there.

And from what I hear so far, They really are! The place has made it to the bridge stone guide in its third month of being opened, And is apparently due to appear in the March or April issue of food and wine magazine.

I have been there plenty of times now at this stage, And is now the sole spot I will go in town for lunch.

In regards to opening hours I think 6pm is when they close, But still plenty of time to sneak in the wine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Rainbow_brite

Decided to try Berfranks today for lunch after spotting this thread.. have to say it was lovely, good variety and nice coffee. I find it difficult to get a nice coffee in Waterford :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Was in Waterford for a few days and had my lunch there and excellent food and one of the guys behind the counter encouraged me to try "blah" !

As a person never hearing this word used before when ordering food I had to get him to repeat himself and then explain what it was :o

Anyway delighted I did and the food was very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I gave Berfranks a whirl on Saturday. Very nice I have to say! The service was excellent and they were losing customers because they were full. Thats a decent problem to have.

Now if we could only have a few late evening cafes like that where 4 or 6 people could go for a coffee and a cake/cookie/scone etc. If I hadn't got €3 in my pocket, I'd open one myself.

It'd be great if Berfranks opened late on Thursday and Friday nights.

Advertisement