Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Left 4 Dead 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Looking forward to giving this one a go when I get home later on this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Cool what's in the Demo ? Is it single player or Multi ? I can't access that link here at work.

I believe it's multiplayer campaign but no Versus mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭okla

Just had a quick blast.
    It has single player campaign and online co-op campaign mode.
    Looks pretty decent so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

Its absolutely brilliant. My most anticipated game out of all the Christmas releases for sure, and that includes MW2 ;)

• Advertisement

So is this a free demo either way?... i pre-ordered today in Gamestop and they gave me a leaflet with a code to play this for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

not very impressed tbh, tho all the servers I get into are laggy :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

the server I was on was quite laggy aswell.

Aside from that, I like the new infected and the new weapons, but the melee ones feel weird, they dont feel like they got alot of weight behind except for the machete. You swing madly and things die. I was expecting a bit more ragdoll/physics show where a swing resulted in rolling bodies a big dong sound and zombies being grounded. But it couldnt be swung carefree constantly.

Instead you hold melee down and constintly swing back and forth and things die.

Knife is the exception cause there is more feedback with it getting bloodier and limbs going flying.

I like the weapons, they look nicer (the m4 in l4d1 always looked a bit on the thin side) and there is much more variety with each game (first time got the ak/silenced uzi, second time got the spaz12 and desert eagle)

New infected are very powerful, though I didnt see a tank at all in both of my playthroughs.

I like it, feels different to 1 in a number of ways. There are quite a number of new items and stuff. But I didnt think much of the levels, I guess they didnt stick out to me as much as the levels from 1.

Also...LAG!

lots of it

which was really annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Corcs001

Is this demo only for available for a week?

• I'm gonna test it out now. Its a big enough download 1.6gbs fyi.

• Advertisement

Played through it a few times last night. Enjoyed it. It's no great leap from the first game. Better weapons selection is much needed. Also the choice between adrenaline shots and pain pills is nice. Only tried the guitar and machete as melee weapons and both were nice and powerful making it easy enough to plough through a horde.

New Special infected pop up a good bit. Charger and the Jockey seem quite weak and the best of the bunch seems to be the spitter who can do some serious damage. Also liked the police zombie who have bulletproof armour on as they make a horde that bit more difficult to handle.

All in all if you love the original and are dying for some new levels and refined gameplay than this is a must. I'll be picking it up but probably not straight away as MW2 is ahead of it for me.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Also...LAG!

lots of it

which was really annoying.

Isn't it a P2P connection though? I didn't think the XBox had servers for this game. I'm just looking into that now, but it effectively means that you're always dependant on the game host having a really good upload speed and will always suffer if the host has a bad connection.

This is the reason the PC gamers are so up in arms about MW2 going this way too btw :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Cannot wait to fight a new and improved tank! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Thanks for the heads up, I'll be sure to check this one out later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Played it last night for a bit and enjoyed it. Not really different at all from the first one but the levels are a bit bigger. But that's a good thing I think. Very good Demo though..lots of replay value.

I had no lag at all though so happy with that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

The L4D is one title that looks seriously horrible on console compared to pc version.
    Didnt think much of the same old gameplay either.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Corcs001

Anybody have any trouble downloading this? It was going fine for me until it got to about 62%, then it just stopped with some error code appearing. I had to start it again and it has not moved from 3%.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I love using the frying pan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Downloading this now. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

At least the lag problems are known about early with the demo so hopefully it should be sorted for the full game. Cant wait for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Graphics look poor, ps2 standard imo

this game relies on the gameplay rather then the graphics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Graphics look poor, ps2 standard imo

its a 5 year old engine by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Left 4 Dead was never meant to be a showcase for fantastic graphics. Visually it relies on style over technical prowess, but if you are playing left 4 dead for the eye candy, you might be missing the point.

Demo looks very polished. Weapons have more of a kick, especially the pistol. Also not decided on the melee weapons, although my first swipe of a machete resulted in a decapitation and I spent the rest of the level doing a scarface impersonation for my brother, calling it my "mah-chet-ee" in full cuban accent.

I have to say, I never got full value out of the first one. I got it late and the online community had died down a bit. The only people I ended up playing with knew every map backwards and were just looking for some obscure achievement. If I had to pick (and I might), I would probably go for MW2 or Dragon Age: Origins over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Undead

Love it, keep replaying it over and over, MW2 will be well and truely ditched when this comes out:D

Left 4 Dead was never meant to be a showcase for fantastic graphics. Visually it relies on style over technical prowess, but if you are playing left 4 dead for the eye candy, you might be missing the point.

Im certainly not missing any point.
    Play it on a decent spec pc then play the 360 version and you will see why its fugly as sin on the 360.
    Thats nothing to do with style over technical prowess at all.
    Im simply saying it looks crap on the 360 by comparison.
    I play or have played numerous games both on a high spec pc and 360/ps3 [cod4,cod waw,borderlands,fallout3 spring to mind] .
    While the pc always looks better with super high resolution the consoles still look pretty damn nice by comparison in most multi-platform titles but in LFD2 based on the demos ive played on pc and 360 the difference is huge.
    When my 7 year old son says [Daddy that looks very ugly compared to it on pc] it speaks volumes :)
    I never played L4D on console so cant compare,im guessing its a similar story?

Note:im playing both 360 and pc on the same 24" monitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I've played plenty of games that could be considered "fugly" (in fact, im playing FM 2010 at the moment and the 3D match engine is comparable to FIFA 95), and left 4 dead is certainly no beauty queen. I just think if you were to ask Valve what their priorities were for left 4 dead, visuals would come further down the list. My original point was that a complaint about left 4 dead's visuals is somewhat like a complaint about Halo ODST's originality: yes, it's correct, but it doesn't really count as a dealbreaker.
    Dcully wrote: »
    Note:im playing both 360 and pc on the same 24" monitor.

I hooked the xbox up to my monitor (20" Viewsonic) at one point through the VGA connection and the colours were definitely "washed out". Halo 3 looked awful.

Agreed gameplay is always number one, thats not what i am talking about however.
    I simply mentioned the inferior visuals.
    I hooked the xbox up to my monitor (20" Viewsonic) at one point through the VGA connection and the colours were definitely "washed out". Halo 3 looked awful

Compared to my 32" Panasonic viera 1080p with hdmi cable my Samsung 24" monitor using vga looks better.
    My son has his 360 hooked up to a 22" Samsung monitor and it too looks a lot better.
    No offence but samsung make vastly superior monitors than viewsonic, i think thats more the reason for "washed out" your seeing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Played it last night just the single player and I don't know if it's just me but I noticed the frame rate drop a good few times compared to the locked 60fps of L4D 1 granted it does not look as good as 2 or have the same level of detail.

Over all it seems like L4D 1.5 but alot of the new games modes were locked out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

I played it there and i found it very enjoyable, I'm only going to pick it up if one or two friends get it too

Advertisement