Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7 year old and bad dreams

Options
  • 03-11-2009 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Hi all. My daughter is nearly 7 and for the last month she has been waking every night with "bad dreams".

She isn't crying or upset, just comes knocking on the bedroom door saying "I had a bad dream".
    I never let her sleep in with me so i don;t think she's making it up in order to get into my bed.

A few times I've asked her what the dreams were and they vary from men coming to kidnap her to witches and monsters.

She has a night light. Any ideas what I can do to get some sleep? I thought my sleepless nights were over! :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭traceybere

Talk to her about them, there could be more to it (something in school, or something small just playing on her mind)- wait till the next morning though.

When she does wake try some warm milk, a cuddle and her favourite bear, blankie, then put her back to bed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I asked her what the dream was this morning and she couldn't remember. She has no problems getting back to sleep after them, goes right away.
    I had her PT meeting during the week and the teacher says she's getting on great. She's a happy little thing, plenty of friends, loves school etc.

I was thinking it might have something to do with Halloween?
    There have been lots of "scary" episodes of her fave programs and even in school they've been learning songs about goblins and witches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

My son never slept through the night until he was 71/2. Getting him a dreamcatcher was the solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Cookie Jar

Gyalist wrote: »
    My son never slept through the night until he was 71/2. Getting him a dreamcatcher was the solution.

+1 on the dream catcher.

Let her know that its there to filter out the bad dreams... it will put her mind at ease and the bad dreams hopefully wont be playing on her mind.

Advertisement