Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freighting a bike

Options
  • 03-11-2009 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi guys,
    I searched the forums here and didn't see any results where anyone has actually freighted a bike a long distance.

I recently spent a year in whistler, Canada and for mtb fanatics/newbi's I couldn’t recommend better. So obviously bought myself a bike and it only cost me CAD$50 to bring it on the plane home.

Now I'm going to Queenstown, NZ and would love to bring my bike. All airlines seem to have a flat rate when going to the States or Canada, anywhere else seems to be a different story.

Singapore Airlines said they won't charge me more than 6kg excess and the bike weighs at least 30kg. Unfortunately, they said 6kg excess would cost about €240!

A few people have mentioned freighting the bike. Where by time is not an issue and it may take 3 weeks or more to get out to me. Have any of you successfully freighted a bike/similar? If so how much did it cost and what company did you use?
    Cheers,
    Ros

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

is that charge as passenger baggage, or is that an airfreight quote?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Air New Zealand (and Im sure others) carry bikes like ryanair, as sporting equipment to a max of 32kg except its free it seems check their site

And if you go through the states you get 2 pieces of baggage at 30~kg each so you could use your bike as one of them!

Id imagine freighting it would be fairly expensive getting to you in Queenstown in the middle of the south island!

change your Airline :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

Not hawking for business, but I own a business in Rathmines called Mail Boxes Etc http://www.mbeireland.ie/irelanddublinrathmines . We often ship bikes and should be a bit cheaper than the airline - the bike will be delivered to the address you are staying, so no hassle in the airport etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

I forgot to mention the special Boards 10% discount !! ;-)

Advertisement