Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Goddam Revenue people

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I hope it's not me you're referring to? (Long thread about stolen photo on the forum).

again - why do you hope it's not you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

CabanSail wrote: »
    I do not see any problem with paying the Tax which is due. It is the law & ignorance of that is no excuse.

The €6 fee for An Post is another matter. Surely they should charge their costs to Revenue as when they are doing the Tax collection they are doing the work for them. To me it seems a bit like the Chinese Govt who send a bill to the family of those they execute for the cost of the ammunition.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse ;)

The Chinese government do not bill the family of executed prisoners for the cost of the ammunition. They do however bill them for the return of the body (otherwise it is destroyed/organ harvested). Also - it's piloting lethal injection programmes.

As for the matter at hand - people should be aware of duties and taxes when making purchases (that's why there's an "only EU countries" option on ebay ;) ) By and by - also one of the greatest benefits of the EU as a free trade area.

So, for those who didn't know and got caught - hopefully it's not an expensive lesson.

For those who were knowing trying to commit tax evasion/fraud - no sympathy for you I'm afraid.

WillyWonka wrote: »
    So, if I order from B&H in the US and get it shipped to my cousin who lives in the US. He then posts to me...is there a chance I get whacked for import duty and VAT?

I was looking at 2 x tripods and 2 x tripod heads, maybe remote and filters. Does the whole marking as a gift work in that case? (as it kind of is)

Alan

It is not a gift - a gift would be if your cousin bought you the tripod etc. with his/her money and then sent it to you.

You're using your own money to buy goods.

Plus, as others said - gifts are only allowed an exemption of up to 45 euro. After which taxes apply.

The only legitimate way I know of of bringing high value goods purchased in a non-EU country into Ireland without any tax would be to open the good, use it for 6 (a few?) months and declare it as a good of negligible value (as it is now a second hand good). This is not legal advice, but it is how I brought back my 400 dollar lens without issue - I had lived in the US for a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

again - why do you hope it's not you?

Well I hope it's not me as your post would be incorrect. I do have a thread here moaning that my photo has appeared on a website I didn't authorize. I did post in the Revenue thread but I mentioned that I have no problem paying the taxes but didn't like the handling charge.

I think you can see how I could presume you were talking about me.

I mentioned that I have no problem paying the taxes but didn't like the handling charge.

actual quote
    but why, why the f*ck should I have to pay a handling fee. C'nuts.

you think that someone should collect money and send it to revenue on your behalf for free? Should they pay for an envelope and stamp out of their own pocket ?

My point was that you are complaining that your work is not valued (by people who take it under the the license it was granted, ironically) yet you have a mmajor problem in valuing the work that other people do...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

actual quote

you think that someone should collect money and send it to revenue on your behalf for free? Should they pay for an envelope and stamp out of their own pocket ?

My point was that you are complaining that your work is not valued (by people who take it under the the license it was granted, ironically) yet you have a mmajor problem in valuing the work that other people do...

Excellent selective quote there. Let me fill you in on the whole post:
    I've never ordered something of such high value that I've had to pay tax. I wouldn't mind paying the tax if I had to but why, why the f*ck should I have to pay a handling fee. C'nuts.

I said I wouldn't have a problem paying the tax but did object to a handling fee. Again.... I have NO PROBLEM paying the tax due.

Excellent selective quote there. Let me fill you in on the whole post:

I said I wouldn't have a problem paying the tax but did object to a handling fee. Again.... I have NO PROBLEM paying the tax due.

my point was about the handling fee, hence the selective quote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

ok guys - points well made on all sides here. Perhaps a moving the discussion along is now in order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

With regard to the handling fee, at no stage have I ever indicated to An Post that I require them to act as intermediaries between myself and the revenue. Should I pay them to file my tax return too? You've already paid a shipping and handling fee, which should guarantee the delivery of the goods to your door. If the revenue want to invoice me the VAT then by all means they should. I'll pay by EFT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭thebiglad

TelePaul wrote: »
    With regard to the handling fee, at no stage have I ever indicated to An Post that I require them to act as intermediaries between myself and the revenue. Should I pay them to file my tax return too? You've already paid a shipping and handling fee, which should guarantee the delivery of the goods to your door. If the revenue want to invoice me the VAT then by all means they should. I'll pay by EFT.

I have been caught by these charges and must say they are better than DHL!

Anyhow onto the point - with An Post levying the charge it is surely speeding the whole up a lot and making it a simpler task to collect revenue (and therefore presumably controlling the cost) - sure there is an element of profiteering but they do not claim to be a charity.

If the process was customs bill directly then it is necessary to pay them - probably chase them as to when they will authorise release and then An Post delivers. Currently An Post have been known to turn up (in my case anyway) with product in one hand and a bill in the other, prepared to swap if I pay there and then.

I do not like getting hit for import duty any more than anyone else and for last 3 months have stopped ordering products originating outside of EU but I do not object to the €6 charge in a business sense - I want my order in my home ASAP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

thebiglad wrote: »
    Currently An Post have been known to turn up (in my case anyway) with product in one hand and a bill in the other, prepared to swap if I pay there and then.

I have been home on a number of occasions where an post dropped a a delivery note through the door with the standard post without even knocking to see if anyone was in.
    This was not a single postman but it has happened since the regular postman changed.

As I assume it is not a policy then the €6 seems OTT to me...

I have also had to collect stuff from UPS and TNT and never had to pay a handling fee with any duty/VAT due.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

[rant]
    Bloody basterds, they caught my parcel too. There is supposed to be "a camera" in it. Camera me ar$$e! It is bloody macro bellows!
    I am paying shipment. Why the hell shall I be paying tax on it? And on a tax? I always thought that double taxation is illegal. But well, I am living in country that has VRT.
    [/rant]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

ThOnda wrote: »
    [rant]
    Bloody basterds, they caught my parcel too. There is supposed to be "a camera" in it. Camera me ar$$e! It is bloody macro bellows!
    I am paying shipment. Why the hell shall I be paying tax on it? And on a tax? I always thought that double taxation is illegal. But well, I am living in country that has VRT.
    [/rant]

Agree 100% with your rant...double taxation cant be illegal when the state does it because whose gonna stop them! your point about them assuming something contains a camera without knowing for sure reminds me of the same shower (an Post) and the TV licence...They demand you get one and assume you have the devices (tv/radio) that they are required for!
    Back on the original topic: If you go to America, buy an Slr like a 5D mk2 and head home 7 days later, how would they get you for that?? I ask because an earlier poster referred to needing to stay for a much longer period to avoid it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭thebiglad

tororosso wrote: »
    Agree 100% with your rant...double taxation cant be illegal when the state does it because whose gonna stop them! your point about them assuming something contains a camera without knowing for sure reminds me of the same shower (an Post) and the TV licence...They demand you get one and assume you have the devices (tv/radio) that they are required for!
    Back on the original topic: If you go to America, buy an Slr like a 5D mk2 and head home 7 days later, how would they get you for that?? I ask because an earlier poster referred to needing to stay for a much longer period to avoid it!
    If customs stop you then they can ask you to prove you already owned the item before travelled to US - if it is shiny and new and, realistically you will have kept all manuals (and maybe in some cases packaging) then they will find that.
    Chances of being stopped are lower I would think that customs stopping a parcel in the warehouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

thebiglad wrote: »
    If customs stop you then they can ask you to prove you already owned the item before travelled to US - if it is shiny and new and, realistically you will have kept all manuals (and maybe in some cases packaging) then they will find that.
    Chances of being stopped are lower I would think that customs stopping a parcel in the warehouse.

You have to be a sucker to bring manuals home with you. Post any stuff like that home instead of carrying it. Chances of getting stopped in customs coming home from somewhere is pretty slim. Last December I came home from the US with $4,300 of sound equipment. I didn't mind getting caught by customs as it wasn't for me and the guy was prepared to pay the duty as it still worked out cheaper. Not a single customs officer to be seen at the aitport.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Oh crap! Just ordered D40 + 28-135 IS USM Lens + bits & pieces.

Camera arrived today and no duty - Yipee!:D

They can send you the tax bill some time after the delivery of the goods I believe. I recall somebody saying that they had received a letter a month or so after they got the goods.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

The sender marked it as a gift so hopefully, fingers crossed and all that.:)

Advertisement