Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Straight line follow thru?

• 03-11-2009 3:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

Hello all. Anyone got any tips on getting the cue thru in a straight line for the follow thru? I'm ok with geting set up for straight line cueing while feathering the white but after i follow thru the cue turns off right and my aim is thrown and the cueball spins. Iv adjusted to this over the years but it leads to ridiculous misses. I've tried practicing by slowing down and ensuring the straight follow thru happens but then the timing goes which is worse!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

Hi
    Before you take the shot, take a quick look at your set up. Is your bridge hand too close to the cue ball? Is your thumb elevated enough to create a comfortable pathway for the cue to run? Is your grip on the butt end of the cue too loose?

These are the basic errors that encourage off centre strinking in many players. You mentioned that when you slowed down your timing went? If you are a fast player it is very difficult to completly slow down and vice versa.
    Timing is all about the delivery from your backswing through to your bridge hand through to impact on the cue ball, some players take one backswing others may go up to four or five, by increasing the number of backswings it helps to increase a more fluent delivery to the cue ball.

It does take practice but once you find the ammount of backswings that help to encourage better delivery you will find great improvement in off centre hits etc.

Complicated i know but it is very hard to explain over a thread. A snooker lesson with a registered coach would help you no end, but at the end of the day as my old coach used to say to me 'there is no substistute for practice'

Hope this helped. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭armchairninja

You could also try hitting the cue ball back and forth across the baulk line, ensuring that the cue follows the line on the table, and, providing the table is relatively level, the cue ball should come back to rest on the tip of the cue if you're cueing true...takes time to get it, and LOTS of practice, but is worth it, had to do it myself a few years back.
    Naturally everything said above applies aswell, but if you repeatedly do something right, you develop a muscle memory and it becomes natural after a while, similar to practicing for a long blue to the corner pockets for hours on end;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Bridge hand is fine yea- suppose back to basics and run the cueball up and down the spots till i see whats happening- its more pronounced with power so the baulk line may be too tight for that! I'll let yis know thanks again!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

Basic I know BUT...
    your eye should be on the object ball as you strike the cue ball.

Then WAIT until the object ball stops before getting up from your shot. Too early a rise and you don't strike true.

Stance also has a part to play. Comfortable but balanced.

Seadeuce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,435 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Hitting down along the spots helps me no end. The odd time I start playing and I know Im getting side on the ball but dont quite see it when hitting and have no idea why its happening.
    I then hit the white up & down the table brown spot to balck spot with some power & screw and keep doing that until I can consistantly get the white to come straight back to the brown spot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement