Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another What is it thread ?

• 03-11-2009 3:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭

While out photographing near the Galtee mountains, I spotted this bird flapping its wings but staying in the one spot for a few minutes, its a pity I didn't have a larger lens with me, but can ye make out what it is ? some kind of bird of prey I'm guessing, or maybe not !!

1EEC010270D442DF956DF7B8376CF334-800.jpg

/larger photo availabe if you click on link.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Probably a Kestrel aka Windhover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Yeah, and I guess he was 'hovering' looking for his dinner !! :p
    Damn, I wish I had a larger lens :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

It is a pity it is not a close shot but more than likely a kestrel. Although it has been pointed out to me by our own Srameen that buzzards sometimes try to hover in order to catch a thermal.

The fact that your bird was at it for a few minutes probably gives more credence to the fact that it is the former.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Defo a kestrel. If you look at the biggest version of your pic (1474x1107) using your link, then you can clearly make out the wing shape and the shape of the head as it looks towards the right hand side of your pic.

Plenty of kestrel in that area, but there have been no confirmed buzzard sightings there as of yet. Most buzzards sighting have been further up the country. Although there has been a confirmed set of two breeding pairs in southern Cork, so in time we should see them arouynd the Galtees.

The area as you drive from the Limerick/Tipp side towards Mitchelstown is particularly good for kestrel sightings.

It was the first place I thought of when I saw your pic, as there is a similar looking area with a stream coming down it that is rife with kestrel and sparrowhawks.

Not sure where you took your pic, but am guessing you took it from the roadside, so you must have had a good lens to get the clarity you did at that range.

Advertisement