Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Funny Film Formats - 127mm

• 03-11-2009 4:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭

Can anyone suggest any good online resources for 127mm film-stock?

I have an old Kodak Brownie at home that I'm trying to test out - anyone know if it's possible to load it up with 120mm film and just let it fly? I can't see why it'd be out of the question :)

I did find this site which has lots of stock, but a minimum order of 45€, and since I don't know if the body will function correctly that's a bit steep to be lumbered with 10 rolls of unusable film

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I reckon you'll be hard put to find it. I think efke and rollei are the only people that do it, and macodirect is probably the only place that stock them (although you could try silverprint.co.uk aswell).
    you could also try cutting down 120, but that might be more hassle than its worth for you. Alternatively, find some way of jamming a roll of 35mm in there. Careful of the red window though, it has to be covered up and you'll have to guesstimate the film advance.

Incidentally, the format is called 127, similarly 120, as opposed to 127mm and 120mm. They're just unrepresentative numbers chosen by Kodak when they invented the various formats (actually I think they do mean something IIRC, but they're not the size anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Aha! I thought 127 would be 7mm wider than 120, and so easy to fit. Cutting it down would be a pain alright.

Might experiment with some 35mm for the time being, and keep looking around. There's probably some old stock floating around in camera-shops or car-boot sales from time to time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,404 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Did manage to run some 35mm film through an old brownie. Just made some spacers out of corks, were just about solid enough to work. Covered the window with some heavy black tape. For advancing the film took about 3 full turns at the start of the roll and that reduced to about 2 full turns at the end of the roll. Can take a photo of the spacers if you want to see what it looks like... although it was 620 film the camera originally used so might be different

Any and all tips much appreciated! I've seen similar done with a Holga, and I've always got a plentiful supply of cork :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,404 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Just added two photos of the spacers :) to this album
    http://pix.ie/ghosttrain/album/354838
    some photos that were taken are there too, must try scan again with the borders of the negitives

• Advertisement

Looks like a neat solution alright.

I must remember to post the results, once I get the sticky shutter working smoothly and the film loading correctly :) I have some 127 in the post now too, so lots of fun ahead while I wait for my G10 to come back from the shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Just added two photos of the spacers :) to this album
    http://pix.ie/ghosttrain/album/354838
    some photos that were taken are there too, must try scan again with the borders of the negitives

Now who's a cleaver little bunny. Great idea & thanks for the images :D

Advertisement