Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An Agent with Sense

• 03-11-2009 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/09/11/03/SOCCER_Inter_Milan_Maicon.html&TEAMHD=soccer
    The agent of Maicon has laughed off reports linking the Inter Milan full-back with a move to Manchester City.

The Brazil international is a reported target of the big-spending Barclays Premier League side, but his representatives insists there is no likelihood of such a move.

"Every day there's a story linking Maicon to a different club," said Maicon's agent Antonio Caliendo to tuttomercatoweb.it.

"First it was Real Madrid, then Manchester United and now City.
    "I think Maicon has already reiterated his wish to remain at Inter."

Maicon has been a key player in Jose Mourinho's side and is under contract at the San Siro until June 2013.

Caliendo did not rule out a move under the right circumstances but appeared to dismiss City's chances of persuading him to move.

"If the likes of Real or United knock on the door then you consider the eventual offers," said Caliendo. "But we are talking about a top player who is fighting for the league title, the Champions League, the best player in his role, what would he be doing at City?

"I think it would be unthinkable, let's not joke about it."

"the best player in his role, what would he be doing at City?"

Just goes to show how big a Man City are considered by some.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Meh, I'm sure there's a mercenary out there just waiting to take up the offer.

Maicon, Schmaicon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Methinks the same comments could have been levelled at the likes of Chelsea before Roman came in and brought them to the next level.

Chelsea drew some big names before that, but missed out on more than they got, simply because, imho, they were not a team in the running for serious silverware at that time and their name did not carry the same clout as the likes of Man Utd, Barca, Liverpool, Real, Milan, Juve etc.

Now look at Chelsea and see how many would not say that they cannot go toe to toe with any club from any league.

City with megabucks is somethng that is in it's infancy, it will take a few years to see how it will turn out, but I do think that if/when Hughes goes and City bring in a top class manager that they will become a heavy hitter in football terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

But we were always in the Champion's League when we got our megabucks which is a big incentive and I can see where Maicon is coming from. The best full back in the world isn't or shouldn't be moving to a club that's not in the Champion's League this year and is going to be fighting Liverpool to get in next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Bubs101 wrote: »
    But we were always in the Champion's League when we got our megabucks which is a big incentive and I can see where Maicon is coming from. The best full back in the world isn't or shouldn't be moving to a club that's not in the Champion's League this year and is going to be fighting Liverpool to get in next year

Which is my point. Before the megabucks there was no regular CL so players may not have gone to Chelsea for the same reasons they are not going to City now.

The Chelsea of 2003 to now is a perfect example of what City may become. Which is a team that can compete for both it's domestic league and for the Champions league with realistic hopes of winning in either competitions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Will City eventually win something, yes. The problem is when. It will not be this year as I believe its Chelsea's to lose although next year I think they will have a better shoot at it, thtas not to say that City wont take points off the back four because they have peformed well this year, but given the squad they have, that should be expected.

Back to the OP though, I can see alot of players biting at the financial package that City are able to offer, given its only a matter of time before they click and get into the Champs League.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Can't see him stay in Seria A much longer espeicially since Inter seem to be perennial bottlers in the Champions League. He's the best attacking full back I've seen since Cafu was at his peak and I reckon he could be the big star at the next world cup!

Advertisement