Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US visas

• 01-11-2009 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

I dont think you can get a working visa as an Irish citizen in the US...I would try USIT if you're already studying over here and want to go on a work holiday. If you want to go full time on a full 4 year course you should visit collegeboard.com and see what requirements you need to apply, as we do not have leaving certs in the states. (We take SATS/ACTS) I go to Irish American UNiv in Dublin and they have a great exchange programme with American College Delaware in Delaware (near Philadelphia) which happens to be my homestate. You should check it out! Good Luck!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭kabuk1

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    Are you able to go over to America and study for one semester or for the full year or does it depend on your course?
    I'm going to investigate those links tomorrow when I'm actually in a broadband area and not stuck on dial up:(
    I was planning on taking a year out after my first year and going over on a visa to simply work but if I could get over there and still be studying my course..........I'd be soooooooooo friggin happy!!!:D

In regards to working, you may do a year long J1 now, during a gap year from college (I think) or within 12 months of graduating. Their are also summer internship and study abroad programs, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Twilighter

I've got dual citizenship (Ireland & USA) whoohoooo (Y), so i wouldn't need a working visa or a J1 or anything right?

I would be interested in either studying for 6 months or eventually doing a postgrad maybe..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭kabuk1

Twilighter wrote: »
    I've got dual citizenship (Ireland & USA) whoohoooo (Y), so i wouldn't need a working visa or a J1 or anything right?

I would be interested in either studying for 6 months or eventually doing a postgrad maybe..

Wish I had dual citizenship. I've only got US, which is a drag when trying to remain in Ireland.

That would be correct. However, studying full-time in the US still won't be cheap as you don't have residence in any State. Because of this, you will have to pay out-of-state fees as any public university. However, it'll be far cheaper than being an international student. It will also open other scholarships for you, and it means you're eligible for federal aid, which will most likely be in the form of student loans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

I'd nearly go and marry an American at this stage! Ha!
    But no I won't. Would be friggin handy though:cool:

Think for this year I might stick with my summer J1 thing...or just have a nice long holiday over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

I'm currently waiting on a 12 month Internship visa to go through. They have the new 12 month IWT program out since February but I was told by every company (USIT, SAYIT and iicenter) that the US Embassy is giving issues handing out the DS-2019 forms (required for visa) so maybe next year they'll have it sorted. But for both you require to be in college or gradauted within 12 months! I know these visas inside out if you guys have questions about them too. I think this thread has gone off topic!

The fees don't drop much from being international to being a citizen do they? Just the visa is the issue!

• Advertisement

lil_lisa wrote: »
    I'm currently waiting on a 12 month Internship visa to go through. They have the new 12 month IWT program out since February but I was told by every company (USIT, SAYIT and iicenter) that the US Embassy is giving issues handing out the DS-2019 forms (required for visa) so maybe next year they'll have it sorted. But for both you require to be in college or gradauted within 12 months! I know these visas inside out if you guys have questions about them too. I think this thread has gone off topic!

The fees don't drop much from being international to being a citizen do they? Just the visa is the issue!

Have you found work yet for your internship visa? I know they don't like you already having work sorted (according to the USIT girls that talked to us), but it's ok to have plenty interviews set up.

well for the visa that im doing its required that you have an internship set up. I have one set up already if I can get my visa on time. I don't see why they would complain if you already have a job? At least then the US embassy would see that you can support yourself financially and you're more secure going out there!

lil_lisa wrote: »
    well for the visa that im doing its required that you have an internship set up. I have one set up already if I can get my visa on time. I don't see why they would complain if you already have a job? At least then the US embassy would see that you can support yourself financially and you're more secure going out there!

That's exactly what I was thinking!
    That's what the girls said but maybe I took them up wrong.

But I've looked up soo many websites. I'm only a first year and I've no work experience with computers, so who exactly would hire me:confused:.
    I know they are flexible on having to have a job related to your course....but not sure how flexible.

A friend of mine worked for American Express and he had no experience...but he had connections in the place which landed him the job.

Are you looking at summer visas or taking a year out of college? I spent two summers in California and just landed this job now at the end of the second one through a connection. Its difficult to get that kind of work. However, California is full of Irish people during the summer so any kind of job is difficult to get at that time there.

Advertisement