Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Pokerstars too comfortable?

Options
  • 03-11-2009 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭

I recently qualified for the APPT Cebu (Philippines). I shoudn't have played it tbh but I did and now to be blunt I can't afford to go there. I've tried my hardest for Pokerstars to give me something in exchange - I don't really care what - even another APPT seat at a later date - when hopefully I might be able to afford to go. I know they have done it in the past for other players - looks like I don't meet the criteria for being a valuable enough player to them.

Now on the one hand I know it's on the Terms and Conditions that if you win a seat you have to play - no refunds and no transfers - so yeah I know many of you will think tough £$%^ and perhaps you'd be right. But on the other hand I know if it's a smaller site such as GJP or Paddypower they'd be much more inclined to try to help you out. I run bad on Pokerstars anyway - so I'm finally throwing the towel in on the site.

So really I suppose my question is are Pokerstars just too comfortable?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Did the expenses in the package not cover the cost of going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Tallamuner

luckylucky wrote: »
    I recently qualified for the APPT Cebu (Philippines). I shoudn't have played it tbh but I did and now to be blunt I can't afford to go there. I've tried my hardest for Pokerstars to give me something in exchange - I don't really care what - even another APPT seat at a later date - when hopefully I might be able to afford to go. I know they have done it in the past for other players - looks like I don't meet the criteria for being a valuable enough player to them.

Now on the one hand I know it's on the Terms and Conditions that if you win a seat you have to play - no refunds and no transfers - so yeah I know many of you will think tough £$%^ and perhaps you'd be right. But on the other hand I know if it's a smaller site such as GJP or Paddypower they'd be much more inclined to try to help you out. I run bad on Pokerstars anyway - so I'm finally throwing the towel in on the site.

So really I suppose my question is are Pokerstars just too comfortable?

sell a few per cent of yourself to cover any costs etc good luck with the tourney. keith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

5starpool wrote: »
    Did the expenses in the package not cover the cost of going?

Expenses were $1650 = €1124 which is basically the cost of the flight from me from Lisbon to there.

I'd have no choice with the flight schedules to fork out for an extra couple of nights in the hotel, plus spending money. So I'd probably need conservatively another €800 or so.

Anyway I was desperate to go when I won this thing but knew that it was going to be a tight squeeze - so I tried in vain to spin up the expense money, this included two times where I finished runner-up for another package :(.

so now I don't even have the expense money.
    Tallamuner wrote: »
    sell a few per cent of yourself to cover any costs etc good luck with the tourney. keith

It's not even worth selling a percentage tbh :(

the value of the entrance fee part of the price is $2150. So even if I sold 100% now - I'd still be out of pocket.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

To answer your original question, I think a lot of it is due to the fact that Stars sponsor so many events, and something like this in the Phillipines (or Indonesia, I can't remember where) a fairly decent % of people will have qualified via the online route. However, if they gave people the option of swapping for another event, it could skew the numbers for each tournament quite dramatically perhaps. I don't think they are doing it to be awkward to people, but to ensure that each event has a lot of runners so that each event is a headline, rather than only some of them.

That's my take anyhow.

5starpool wrote: »
    To answer your original question, I think a lot of it is due to the fact that Stars sponsor so many events, and something like this in the Phillipines (or Indonesia, I can't remember where) a fairly decent % of people will have qualified via the online route. However, if they gave people the option of swapping for another event, it could skew the numbers for each tournament quite dramatically perhaps. I don't think they are doing it to be awkward to people, but to ensure that each event has a lot of runners so that each event is a headline, rather than only some of them.

That's my take anyhow.

Sounds reasonable, but not much good to me. But I guess this is sort of my point, Pokerstars are in effect a big corporation where players like me don't really feature that highly in their priorities when they are stuck, whereas smaller concerns are more inclined to keep their regular players sweet. Pokerstars don't give two hoots about losing my rake/fees and why should they I suppose but on a smaller site it might matter enough to get looked after better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭fatguy

To answer your original question, the answer is yes.

Stars have the best software, but it could be better.
    They have the best tournaments, but they could be better.
    They have the best support, but it could be better.

There's plenty of room for someone to overtake them, but nobody seems to be trying that hard right now. apart from FT, they all prefer to tackle a different section of the market instead.

However, their bonuses for small stakes players are awful in comparison to most, and they can't seem to find a way to stop players from donking off their expenses money. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

I can understand why PS wouldn't want to let you have the cash, or transfer to another tournament... it makes things awkward.

Have you asked if you can transfer the prize to another player if you can find someone interested?

jimbling wrote: »
    Have you asked if you can transfer the prize to another player if you can find someone interested?

Nope I didn't ask that. I didn't think of it tbh, but I'm pretty sure at this stage given the tone of the emails that it won't be forthcoming either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭coillcam

Tallamuner wrote: »

I was thinking the same. I am sure some of the boardsies would have no trouble snapping up a % or 2.

coillcam wrote: »
    I was thinking the same. I am sure some of the boardsies would have no trouble snapping up a % or 2.

Thanks very much but as I say its kinda pointless. Even if I sold 100% it might not cover the cost of the flight plus expenses. Knowing my luck I'd finally end up getting a big cash in one of these donkaments when I have to give away 100% of it.

I've just excluded myself from pokerstars for 180 days - a small gesture but at least they don't get any more rake or tourney fees from me - actually they've probably done me a favour - I can get back to grinding small stakes somewhere else and maybe I'll start being a winning player again ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭wannabecraig

Nope I didn't ask that. I didn't think of it tbh, but I'm pretty sure at this stage given the tone of the emails that it won't be forthcoming either.

I'm nearly sure you can sell that ticket on, not for full price maybe, but I'm pretty sure you can sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,399 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Even if I sold 100% it might not cover the cost of the flight plus expenses. Knowing my luck I'd finally end up getting a big cash in one of these donkaments when I have to give away 100% of it.

Go to boards.nl and sell 200%.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I'd have no choice with the flight schedules to fork out for an extra couple of nights in the hotel, plus spending money. So I'd probably need conservatively another €800 or so.

I think you are overestimating the your cost for a couple of days extra,my old man is just back from the Philippines and its dirt cheap.

Did you win this via the Steps..?

Dub13 wrote: »
    I think you are overestimating the your cost for a couple of days extra,my old man is just back from the Philippines and its dirt cheap.

Did you win this via the Steps..?

Nah I won via the sick 3xR route. I almost won another ticket twice - Was all-in with AJ v KJ heads up when K hits on turn just a few days ago. And just yesterday I blew a 1.3 million to 300k lead in heads up. :(

I could possibly stay on somewhere cheaper but even if it's just another few hundred euro the total cost is too much now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭thenutpeddler

Nah I won via the sick 3xR route. I almost won another ticket twice - Was all-in with AJ v KJ heads up when K hits on turn just a few days ago. And just yesterday I blew a 1.3 million to 300k lead in heads up. :(

I could possibly stay on somewhere cheaper but even if it's just another few hundred euro the total cost is too much now.

If this package is causing you so much hassle why are you trying to qualify for others?

If this package is causing you so much hassle why are you trying to qualify for others?

I was mostly trying to qualify for the same one again, if you win the same package twice you win tournament dollars instead of the package and would have meant I could afford to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

Write it off as a bad debt & dont bother going if its gonna put u under that much financial pressure, cutting your losses might be better than making the hole deeper .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

I can sympathise with your position to a certain extent but...

You voluntarily enter a satellite for a live tournie, you win said satellite and now this is a problem,stars won't accomadate a swap,so you apparantly take a certain 'tone' with them?

You run terribly on stars and right after winning something you bail?

You then post about stars being 'too comfortable'? in what sense? To be fair if you can't go don't play the satt.

As I originally stated I see how this has come about but it is all of your own doing really,offloading your frustrations on stars,while understandable is a little silly really. I think all you can do now is flog off %s and go out there and enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭The Improver

sell about 70% and raid the copper jar;)

I can sympathise with your position to a certain extent but...

You voluntarily enter a satellite for a live tournie, you win said satellite and now this is a problem,stars won't accomadate a swap,so you apparantly take a certain 'tone' with them?

You run terribly on stars and right after winning something you bail?

You then post about stars being 'too comfortable'? in what sense? To be fair if you can't go don't play the satt.

As I originally stated I see how this has come about but it is all of your own doing really,offloading your frustrations on stars,while understandable is a little silly really. I think all you can do now is flog off %s and go out there and enjoy it.

Well you're right and you're not right as you've sort of taken my points at the worst outlook in regards to me.

I run terribly on stars both before and after this - NOT JUST BEFORE - that win was just a temporary blip - I needed to try to win extra cash to afford to go - so it wasn't as if I blew the money on booze and drugs or something - i blew it on stars trying to win more so I COULD GO instead i just ended up losing more - tbh you could say they've done me favour by not accomodating me as I probably should have abandoned stars before now and I'll probably save what I've lost by not playing there again. If it wasn't for Mtts(mainly on stars) I'd still have a healthy bankroll.

I agree with you I shouldn't have played the sat in the first place. I like playing poker during the day and these far off destinations often have tournies during the day when there's nothing else interesting looking available - it's more of a spur of the moment give it a go kinda thing - STILL I shouldn't have played it, but us poker players do tend to be overly optimistic :(

Yeah and maybe your right in that it's sour grapes on my part now - but on the other hand Stars have got an extra $3350 out of me not going and that hurts when I know which of the two parties needs that more - I think they could have done something for me at least - it's not as if I haven't played there much - and as I also stated I do know they have accomodated other players in the past. My other point is that if it was a smaller site they WOULD be more accomodating - I was ill before for a PaddyPower tournament and they allowed what turned out to be a very lucky replacement for me.

Anyway yeah you could say it's a dig at Stars but it's not a rant and rave dig at them- I'm not saying people shouldn't play there but with a player base of twice their nearest rival and nearly 5 times as big as ipoker I think they are defo very comfy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭jbravado

You should get the money from somewhere and try to play imo.

jbravado wrote: »
    You should get the money from somewhere and try to play imo.

As I say even if I got 100% of the tournament part of the package = $2150 it would at best match the whole cost for me - what would be the point. How do you think I'd feel if I finally got big cash only having to give most or all of it up - I wouldn't mind giving up 30%ish - but giving up virtually all my win would be sickening. it'a lose-lose scenario for me.

Nope, unfortunately Hoki's right I'm just going to have to cut my losses.

As I say even if I got 100% of the tournament part of the package = $2150 it would at best match the whole cost for me - what would be the point. How do you think I'd feel if I finally got big cash only having to give most or all of it up - I wouldn't mind giving up 30%ish - but giving up virtually all my win would be sickening. it'a lose-lose scenario for me.

Sorry, but have you tried to sell it on? The market place forum on 2+2 has loads of these sales every day. Are you a poster there? Look into it. I'm a poster there, if you're not a member let me know and I'll look into it for you.

Sorry, but have you tried to sell it on? The market place forum on 2+2 has loads of these sales every day. Are you a poster there? Look into it. I'm a poster there, if you're not a member let me know and I'll look into it for you.

I post on 2+2 infrequently. I'm pretty sure you can't sell a package on. You can sell tournament dollars and w$ but a tournament package as far as I know, but I'd like to be shown that I'm wrong ;)

K, i was pretty sure you could do this. Any stars won't let you trade for Tourney dollars?
    Well on a personal note, if it was me I'd be there. Chances like this don't come around all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

Lucky, go to the thing FFS.
    You can find a room for 25 dollars a night, the Phillipines is very cheap . I reckon 400 is enough is you want to just play your tourny, get knocked out, have a nose around the Phillipines for 2-3 days and bring back presents for the entire Lucky clan. It's not Monte Carlo you're going to
    Don't eat anything with a collar on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭suilen

I'll offer to take 30% of your action, $645. If you can get a couple of hundred euros together then you should be able to manage to go surely and still have a decent chunk of yourself?

Do you have a link to your stars/sharksscope ratings? Might take a piece too and send you there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭HeeHawsCantona

Lucky check PM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

PM playable hand (Denis Reyes)

He's from the Phillipines and would be able to help you out in relation to places to stay/taxis/eating/brothels etc

Advertisement