Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Pokerstars too comfortable?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

suilen wrote: »
    I'll offer to take 30% of your action, $645. If you can get a couple of hundred euros together then you should be able to manage to go surely and still have a decent chunk of yourself?

Thanks a lot, very much appreciated but I still don't see how I can do it. The maths don't add up - even were I just to cover the cost of my flight that's approx 1650/2150 = 76.74% of the value of the tournament entry.
    Do you have a link to your stars/sharksscope ratings? Might take a piece too and send you there.

This is my OPR rankings - i don't want to give my Pokerstars alias out here as you can imagine.

120 days Rating: 98.62% Rank: 13,384 of 967,854

Year 2009 Rating: 77.40% Rank: 344,176 of 1,523,043

Year 2008 Rating: 99.76% Rank: 2,503 of 1,062,266

it looks good enough but I'm actually down money as I often go far but keep missing out on the big money. If you don't get some big scores in these mtts then you lose.

tbh I've only ever cashed once in a major live event so I'd be very reluctant to say I'd be a good investment.

I truly appreciate the goodwill of you guys. I'll have a sit back and chat with the missus (who doesn't want me to go btw) and see if there's anyway I can do this but I don't think it's likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭wannabecraig

K, thanks for being honest about stats. Think you should go to stars and ask if you can sell you ticket, they may allow you to. Good luck with your decision.

Oh and btw poker > missus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Suited

Show them this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Moro Man

Poor you.......

Alot of pokerstars players make their living playing satts for the Weekly Million / EPT/WSOP Qualifiers and not playing the finals.

No other site leaves you unregister from an event you qualify for (have full tilt recently changed? maybe ) so I don't see the PokerStars losing any sleep over your complaints. Try asking I=Poker to unreg you from a tournament:rolleyes:

Hard to see how you can complain as you won a $5k package from a $3 rebuy tournament ( how big was the overlay? ). There would have been alot of people playing these tournaments just for the expenses with no intention of going.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

luckylucky im beginning to think the real reason you dont want to go is because your a racist:).

• Advertisement

Moro Man wrote: »
    Poor you.......

Alot of pokerstars players make their living playing satts for the Weekly Million / EPT/WSOP Qualifiers and not playing the finals.

No other site leaves you unregister from an event you qualify for (have full tilt recently changed? maybe ) so I don't see the PokerStars losing any sleep over your complaints. Try asking I=Poker to unreg you from a tournament:rolleyes:

Hard to see how you can complain as you won a $5k package from a $3 rebuy tournament ( how big was the overlay? ). There would have been alot of people playing these tournaments just for the expenses with no intention of going.

Sometimes poker players find themselves in a rut - comes with the territory. I sincerely hope you don't find yourself in a similar situation. But do kick me while I'm down - always a decent sized minority who just love to do that, thankfully not all are like you and even though no doubt most people rightly think I'm an idiot for getting into this situation at least they are sympathetic coz they know it might just might happen to them.

And fyi it wasn't a $3 Rebuy it was 3xR Rebuy - which on Pokerstars means 3 times the normal length of rebuy period - I think it was a $22 rebuy fwiw

luckylucky wrote: »
    Sometimes poker players find themselves in a rut - comes with the territory. I sincerely hope you don't find yourself in a similar situation. But do kick me while I'm down - always a decent sized minority who just love to do that, thankfully not all are like you and even though no doubt most people rightly think I'm an idiot for getting into this situation at least they are sympathetic coz they know it might just might happen to them.

And fyi it wasn't a $3 Rebuy it was 3xR Rebuy - which on Pokerstars means 3 times the normal length of rebuy period - I think it was a $22 rebuy fwiw

I've been in a rut for years....

How big was the overlay? You didn't seem to get anything for coming 2nd in the other tournament.

Moro Man wrote: »
    I've been in a rut for years....

How big was the overlay? You didn't seem to get anything for coming 2nd in the other tournament.

I came 2nd twice in the other tournaments for the Cebu event - I got $800 for one - that's gone in vain as I tried to spin it up. And if you said I got nothing for the other one I'll take your word for it - I think I didn't alright. There is only very occasionally an overlay though for these btw and when there is it's not normally much - even though you seem to have got it into your head that there was - remember it's not a $3 rebuy (there's $22 and $11 rebuys - I was playing both of them) like you thought I was saying, either way overlay or not it makes no difference to my situation.

Anyway we've established you don't think I merit any sympathy, fair enough I certainly didn't expect it from all quarters. Still $3350 is too much of a hit for me right now not to have said anything about it. If it wasn't a lot of money to me then I'd be going to the Philippines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 mdiver

Don't buy the ticket if you can't win the lottery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭wendelsailor

I came 2nd twice in the other tournaments for the Cebu event - I got $800 for one - that's gone in vain as I tried to spin it up.

Hindsight is great and all but if you'd just kept all the expenses and sold some of yourself you would have been fine. I think trying to spin loot that quickly was (not to sound rude) incredibly stupid.

Try hoodaki.com if you get the money together.........they tend to have really cheap flights to anywhere in the world.

• Advertisement

Hindsight is great and all but if you'd just kept all the expenses and sold some of yourself you would have been fine. I think trying to spin loot that quickly was (not to sound rude) incredibly stupid.

Try hoodaki.com if you get the money together.........they tend to have really cheap flights to anywhere in the world.

You're right - I had actually planned to do exactly like you said. Part of the problem was my wife wasn't keen on me going - so I wanted to spin the loot up to make it easier for me to go without having any big 'discussions'.

Anyway we've established you don't think I merit any sympathy, fair enough I certainly didn't expect it from all quarters. Still $3350 is too much of a hit for me right now not to have said anything about it. If it wasn't a lot of money to me then I'd be going to the Philippines.

Pokerstars are pushing very strongly their LAPT and APPT events at the moment, the reason I presume is to corner the market in these locations. If they leave everyone unregister from these tournaments they would be down on entrants and the better players will be playing the satts with no intention of going so the players they are aiming for will find it harder to qualify....

Sounds like a great strategy to get these tours up and running.

What was your excuse for not going to pokerstars?

I thought the Phillipines was in Spain?

It would be quite obvious to them that you had no intention of going so I don't think it can be held against them for not giving you a cash out option.

As for sympathy I could think of a lot of people more deserving of it. The country is full of people out of work , losing their houses, forced to emigrate etc etc but you blew the expenses money for a trip to the Phillipines and can't afford to go. turn down offers of selling part of yourself because its not worth it.... blah blah... are you waiting for Dermot Desmond to pop up and offer to drop you there in his private jet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

Bottom line morrow man is, you don't pi$$ on someone when they are down. I think he was looking more for empathy, as sympathy is not to be found in the poker world. I think pokerstars are correct to refuse it but equally I'd like to think Lucky got to play this game somehow. A shame to miss it out on the trip. Over to the missus.
    Run better Lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Why not send them a mail suggesting the possibility of a ticket swap for the same event with someone who is heading over. Failing that it looks as if you will have to pass up the opportunity which is a right pain in the ar$e.

Oh and Moro Man stop being such a tit!!

YULETIRED wrote: »
    Bottom line morrow man is, you don't pi$$ on someone when they are down. I think he was looking more for empathy, as sympathy is not to be found in the poker world.

Sympathy was totally wrong word alright, too right it doesn't exist in the poker world. More empathy like you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭DrJFF

i was at the APPT in Auckland recently and i was talking to a guy from canada and he was like a low stacks player and he qualified for a seat only for APPT Macau and he told me it took him maybe 10emails with a lot of pleading on his part before they changed the seat to one in Auckland cos it was worth the same price

i think why they are less accomodating with you is because there is only 2stops left on the APPT the one in Cebu which is worth ~$5k and the Grand final in worth ~$9k,

maybe ask them could you change it to a stop on the LAPT that is on later, be very persistant in your emails.

gl

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭digiman

Could you come up some story that would prevent you from going and ask them to swap it for a Galway package? PS support are usually really good. I remember before I didn't unregister for a Step 4 which went ahead and I got blinded out worth $200 or so an they issued me a new one at their loss within 30mins. If you havn't emailed them already it is definetly worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭digiman

Also, just advice for anyone, for some of PS new tournaments in places that are a long way from Ireland the expenses package they offer doesn't always cover your flight and hotel. I remember last year going deep in one of them and afterwards when I looked at flights to Auckland at short notice the expenses woundn't cover the flight never mind hotels and other stuff

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I always assumed all PS packages included hotel..?

DrJFF wrote: »
    i was at the APPT in Auckland recently and i was talking to a guy from canada and he was like a low stacks player and he qualified for a seat only for APPT Macau and he told me it took him maybe 10emails with a lot of pleading on his part before they changed the seat to one in Auckland cos it was worth the same price

i think why they are less accomodating with you is because there is only 2stops left on the APPT the one in Cebu which is worth ~$5k and the Grand final in worth ~$9k,

maybe ask them could you change it to a stop on the LAPT that is on later, be very persistant in your emails.

gl

I've tried just about everything email-wise and they didn't budge, tbh I take a lot of peoples points about if they make an exception for one 'n all that - but the thing is and your reply is a case in point - they do make plenty of exceptions, yours is not the first or 2nd one I heard.

I'd take a package to just about anywhere - I just can't afford to go right now.
    digiman wrote: »
    Could you come up some story that would prevent you from going and ask them to swap it for a Galway package?

My mistake might have been I told them the truth.
    Dub13 wrote: »
    I always assumed all PS packages included hotel..?

They do but just for the bare minimum of the tournament - which normally only lasts a few days - so if you want to stay extra nights you pay for it. Going half way around the world for just 3 or 4 days stay would be kinda madness - and more likely than not not feasible flight-wise anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement