Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Czech President Klaus Signs Lisbon Treaty

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

BBC:
    Czech leader signs Lisbon Treaty
    Breaking News

Czech President Vaclav Klaus has signed the Lisbon Treaty.

The Czech Republic was the only EU country not to have ratified the treaty, which was drawn up to streamline decision-making in the EU.

Earlier, the Czech constitutional court rejected a complaint against the treaty, ruling that it was in line with that country's constitution.

"I signed the Lisbon Treaty today at 1500 [1400 GMT]," Mr Klaus told journalists.

There we are then.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8340664.stm

Finally the Lisbon Treaty has been ratified by all countries.

Great day for the EU.

Sorry David.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Delighted with this. :)

I'm surprised how fast he moved once the courts gave the all clear, I thought he dodge it for another fewof weeks just before December.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Martin 2

Great news... I'll drink to it this evening.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Phew. At long last :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭COUCH WARRIOR

Great news

I'll bet Cameron is wishing he'd held tough for now. Instead of pissing off his Euro Sceptics. On aserious note which branch of the armed services should I join when conscripted :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

Great.

Wasn't expecting it to get sorted so quickly though. I just heard on the radio this morning that the courts gave it the A-OK.

So that's that then!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

... I'll bet Cameron is wishing he'd held tough for now...

I don't think so. Cameron is probably quite happy that the issue is settled, and that he won't have to deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Great!

However, I still hope his political career is finished after his term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Pleasant surprise today looking at my RSS feed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Will they adopt the charter for human rights once Klaus is gone, or is it a one time option?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,687 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

with this officially behind us now pretty much, do we have our best of lisbon debate awards?
    :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I don't think so. Cameron is probably quite happy that the issue is settled, and that he won't have to deal with it.

Given the esteem that the Labour party is currently held in the the British elecorate, even rolling back on the promise of a referendum will not have any real effect on the chances of the conservatives of getting back into power.

It may throw a few extra seats the way of the Lib Dems or UKIP, but the election is probably far enough away for this to be largely forgotten by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Indeed he is.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/8339522.stm
    Tories rule out treaty referendum

Mr Hague says it is a 'bad day for democracy'

The Conservatives will not hold a referendum on the EU treaty if they win a general election, shadow foreign secretary William Hague has announced.

Mr Hague said ratification of the treaty by the Czech Republic - the last EU country to do so - meant the Tory campaign for a referendum "ends today".

We're all shocked i know. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

meglome wrote: »
    Indeed he is.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/8339522.stm

We're all shocked i know. :p

So shocked. Absolutely never saw that coming. Totally in a state of surprise right now. Can't imagine how anyone could have predicted it.

shocked I tell you!
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Yay! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Just on Cameron's promises for a British referendum:
    Two years ago, David Cameron gave readers of the Sun “a cast-iron guarantee” that British voters would have a referendum on Lisbon.
    Back then, he told four million readers: “If I become prime minister, a Conservative government will hold a referendum on any new European Union treaty that emerges from these negotiations.”

And then:
    And he went on, just a little piously, to muse why it was that so many of the British public “don’t believe a word that politicians say when they break their promises so casually”.

Tee hee hee! I particularly enjoyed that line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭COUCH WARRIOR

Sorry my post was ambigious. I was referring to this:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/6488240/David-Cameron-to-tell-voters-no-vote-on-Lisbon-Treaty.html

Where the Torys were putting out that they were possibly going to abandon the pledge to a referendum even before the Czechs ratified.

My point was if they had said nothing, then they could now claim facts on the ground and nothing to could be done. Where as now any British Euro Sceptic can hardly trust Cameron.

Advertisement