Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lads mags

• 03-11-2009 5:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭

Glitzey bottem shelf grott in some case's..
    I dont really buy them because there not that usefull in my younger days id buy fhm loaded and maxim. Some times they had some interesting articels..

such as how to please your woman better and tbh I learned a lot about things like that from those kinda mags..in my late teens.. It was like an education...

But the more recent one nuts and zoo it would be great if i could say yeah you no we have a weekly lads mag that had something of interest but to be honest i only buy it to read on the toilet so i would call it toilet trash.... :D

But To be honest even now a days majority of interveiws even in loaded convay whast your favourite sexual postion ? are you a fan of girl on girl? while i realise that the majorit y of blokes are self confessed to dumbing them selves down and reading it thinking its all true but to be honest Im board senseless of reading dribble about the worlds hardist men bye danny dyer he has a colume in one of them hes hardly an iconic male who id have any interest n looking up to ..

So with that in the past i used to read them interveiws with interesting men who've done things like drug smugelers etc but they dont really have the same now adays it seems that there aimed at chavs and idiots?

Does any one else find this ?

and if so where do you get your info type stuff for reading..

Personally i use www.askmen.com i find it has tons and tons of information from fasion to women to jobs to genral health and everything else......

so whast yours ?

But heres a perticularly interesting link

http://ie.askmen.com/sports/health_400/412_testicular-cancer-myths.html

so my grounding is why dont we have a gents/lads mag thats informitive... ? or have i missed it for the past 10 years ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

I used to read loaded back in the the late 90's howard marks was always a good laugh.

Meh nowadays I get my fashions ideas from me and book recomendations from other people i trust and sometimes random lucky finds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I have the internet, I don't have to pay for that crap.

If I have a question I consult myself I know everything:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I have the internet, I don't have to pay for that crap.

If I have a question I consult myself I know everything:P

but then again 10 years ago we didnt have the internet :rolleyes: well we did but i for one hardly ever used it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Never into the "lad mag" phenomenon,they were/are trash IMO.I would put them in the same bracket as The Word.Grand when you are under 18 but any older and you really should know better.

Playboy is the only lifestyle type mag Ive bought more than once.Taken as a whole,its a frequently funny,insightful,has some good advice,unbiased movie and music reviews,fantastic interviews.

Of course the nudie ladies add to it but they are just one part of it.

Havnt bought one in a few years though,must get me one soon.

oh my parents found my play boys once with a little note on them saying give them to your father when you get the chance :D :pac:

for the, articles :cool: i subsaquently found out but could never figure out why untill i actually sat down and read one me neather never even thought of that mag :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

GQ of course. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Ruu wrote: »

Bought that for a couple of months but wasn't that impressed as imo it is abit high end in terms of fashion,politics etc but had some good parts some times.

At the mo I buy Mens Health and Fighters Only as they are my interested areas and have a good mix of topics.
    I can say I haven't bought Nuts or Zoo since around 2004.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Fighters only on a regular basis for me.
    FHM is great for a train/bus journey though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

[I'm a girl]

I was with my parents, visiting friends of theirs when I was about twelve. I went upstairs and found a load of magazines in the bathroom. I started reading one in particular, FHM, and found it to be quite interesting, but I was completely perplexed as to why there were half naked women in it and no naked men. Of course, I happened to read the side of the magazine a short time later where it says "For Him Magazine".
    :o

I've had to read various "lads' mags" as part of college assignments (regarding gender roles in the media etc) and what I will say about them is they seem to depict men in a very stereotypical way ; The magazines are all based around naked women, cars, football and gadgets.

As men, do you feel this accurately reflects your interests? Do you think magazines like FHM, Nuts, GQ play on stereotypical notions to sell magazines? If so, does this annoy you?

I hope it's ok for me to ask questions, I'm not asking for any particular reason, I just find it an interesting topic and would be keen to see what the response is like :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

No offense snow-monkey but the absolute crap on askmen.com in regards to how women think/what women do/whatever is just ridiculous. I really hope you don't read that stuff as fact because it's hugely insulting to those of us of the female persuasion.

Lad's mags and girl's mags of the same nature are all sexist towards both genders, really not worth paying attention to anything that's advertised to one specific gender over the other except to look at the pretty pictures. Outside of the pictures, they're tripe and worthless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I never bought into the lads magazine thing. I've always prefered a book to a magazine. The only mags that I read on an irregular basis arn't 'Lads'.
    Q for music, New Scientist for waffle, Fortean Times for giggles and whatever golf mag that has the best 'freebie' attached when I get bored enough to read one.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

The only one I'll go out to buy is Esquire, and I buy it quite often. If I'm heading off travelling and I've already got the current issue, or I can't find it, I'll buy GQ, but I much prefer the quality of Esquire.

I really don't enjoy the 'tits out' atmosphere in the other ones - I used to buy Front and so on when I was 14 and 15, I've grown up since then, if I want to find pictures of tits, I know where to go. They've got an air of being common* to them.

I do also buy magazines like i-D, Wonderland, V and so on - They're all related to what I do. The photography in Esquire is top notch too, as can be expected. Also, instead of buying magazines, I'll browse online, because my laptop is nearly always with me.
    The magazines are all based around naked women, cars, football and gadgets.

As men, do you feel this accurately reflects your interests?

Not really, no, no and 'it depends on the gadgets'. I mean, they're selling a lifestyle (Indeed, I wouldn't refer to them as 'lads mags' - purely because you can throw in womens magazines under the genre 'lifestyle magazine' - But I don't think many 'lads' would feel comfortable with a lifestyle magazine in their hands.

Oh, and I cannot stand soccer.

*I know that's harsh, but it's true; soccer, shouting, modified cars and so on = yick!

liah wrote: »
    No offense snow-monkey but the absolute crap on askmen.com in regards to how women think/what women do/whatever is just ridiculous. I really hope you don't read that stuff as fact because it's hugely insulting to those of us of the female persuasion.

Being perfectly honest I couldnt really care if your insulted, or not if you think its crap tell askmen your feelings. It's written bye P.U.A's so of course its not going to sit well with you, your a woman, your being spoken about in ways you may not like being refered to more as nothing more then a peace of meet and a notch on someones bed board.

Thats not where I'm coming from the fact is there are little snippets of good
    Information in anything anybody writes. Could it be possible that the only reason your saying its crap is because it offends you as modern woman ? or maybe just maybe you know its true and dont like it ?... To be perfectly Frank your coming across as nothing more then patronising which I dont perticualrly like and to be honest if thats your method of winning its a pretty piss poor way about going about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Lad's mags and girl's mags of the same nature are all sexist towards both genders, really not worth paying attention to anything that's advertised to one specific gender over the other except to look at the pretty pictures. Outside of the pictures, they're tripe and worthless.

Wait a minute -thats like saying that self help magazines like playboy ain't true and that people buy them for the pictures not the editorial content.

Girls mags -well Im not so sure. Women dress for other women in lots of cases
    so you dont get guys complaining if a guy turns up in the same outfit. Guys are always in dress suits at weddings etc.

In Girls Magazines/ Cosmo etc the models all look like teenage boys androgynous anorexic chic in a very unhealthy way. Photoshop central. So the pics aren't real. If they same pics were in guy magazines -the guys who bought them would be labelled sick and a bit pervy. In fact, a guys magazine with that could be called Sick Puppy.

And you get lots of lifestyle stuff that is a tad anti-men( how to get your man and manipulate him) but labeled empowerment -that if it was in guy magazines would be classed as predatory.

Do women believe that stuff -well some must cos they sell by the crateload.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

but then again 10 years ago we didnt have the internet :rolleyes: well we did but i for one hardly ever used it
    lol old people.

<3 the internet.

No need to begrudge a few harmless sex/pickup tips.

It might stereotype women, but it's written for guys who want stereotypical women. I think calling it insulting or sexist is a bit extreme.

[I'm a girl]

I've had to read various "lads' mags" as part of college assignments (regarding gender roles in the media etc) and what I will say about them is they seem to depict men in a very stereotypical way ; The magazines are all based around naked women, cars, football and gadgets.

As men, do you feel this accurately reflects your interests? Do you think magazines like FHM, Nuts, GQ play on stereotypical notions to sell magazines? If so, does this annoy you?

I hope it's ok for me to ask questions, I'm not asking for any particular reason, I just find it an interesting topic and would be keen to see what the response is like :)

Are you sure ? :P

well first of id rather read a mag that actually feeds me some information stuff like, men who've gone from broke to multi million ares interveiws ith sucessfull people sharing knowladge then how renaldo is such a iconic man when just cause he can kick a ball doesnt mean he iconic... just means he's talanted...

As for car's well men like car's well i know i do, naked women bit of big boobed lady is nothing less then titalation and eye candy I dont read the interveiw because there useually revolve so do you kiss girls where sthe most unuseual place uve had sex :rolleyes: all of theese are just publicity for the model and of course the 16 year old reading them.

My gagets consit of a 6 year old diskman I brake mp3 players so i dont buy them. Oh and a watch which cost me feck all but its mine.

Well they don't tecnically sterio type they direct them selves to a perticular market more then anything. if you ask me for a magzine to really intise me its got to have some serous interesting topics i do have an interest and no it doesnt really pull me to buy them like i said i refer to them as nothing more then toilet trash.

I dont think the mods would be bothered you asking all sorts of questions as they lead to answers and a busyer forum :)

As for car's well men like car's
    I don't.

I can't understand why some guys obsess over them.

A car is just a fúcking metal box with wheels for the purpose of transporting people from A to B. What in God's name is so fascinating about that?

To top it all off, half the guys I know who are into cars don't actually know what terms like ccs or horsepower actually refer to, they seem to just reckon that a higher number makes the car better and cooler.

(I don't know why this hits such a nerve with me, it just does... :o)

I don't.

A car is just a fúcking metal box with wheels for the purpose of transporting people from A to B. What in God's name is so fascinating about that?

To top it all off, half the guys I know who are into cars don't actually know what terms like ccs or horsepower actually refer to, they seem to just reckon that a higher number makes the car better and cooler.

(I don't know why this hits such a nerve with me, it just does... :o)

but thats you majority of men do like cars tho so your saying you never wished you where james bond in a db5 with some hot blonde beside you ?

I could'nt tell you why it gets on your nervs :pac: but im sure you have interests that others dont....

I don't.

My girlfriend knows all that stuff and picked and negotiated my car. She can also park in places I cant.

Yup cars are fun, unless you drive a Micra then they are an embarressment.

• Advertisement

but thats you majority of men do like cars tho so your saying you never wished you where james bond in a db5 with some hot blonde beside you ?
    Yup. Never particularly liked James Bond.

I'm not sure if the majority of young men these days like cars so much. With insurance costs being so high, myself, along with most of my friends couldn't even be bothered to learn to drive.

Meanwhile, back on topic...

The four article types you mentioned appeal to a broad band of men and thats why they are the centeral keystones to mens magazines but to think that they are ALL we are interested in or capable of enjoying is wrong. However, as you say, it does sell copy. I can't say it annoys me, anymore then seeing tabloids on sale annoys me - they cater to the lowest denominator.
    However, the magazines are sucessful therefore they have a place in the market...but I can still ignore them and buy a copy of *Woodworkers Weekly or *Pigeon Fancier or *Practicle Barbqueing in Temperate Climates which to me are what magazines should be about, specilist interest.
    I hope it's ok for me to ask questions, I'm not asking for any particular reason, I just find it an interesting topic and would be keen to see what the response is like
    Just don't put your feet on the table or spill nail-varnish on the leather armchairs. :)

*All madeup magazines...but if there is any significent interest we could publish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Ruu wrote: »
    Esquire ftw Ruu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

OldGoat wrote: »
    *All madeup magazines...but if there is any significent interest we could publish!

I'd actually like to see some of these topics covered in your typical mens magazine.
    Why not put in a DIY section and a proper one not one of those 10 ways to be a proper man, where it just tells you things without telling how.

I find there is a gap between lads mags and more special interest magazines.
    Ideally I want a mix of Men Health, Time, National Geographic, Empire, Top Gear, New Scientist, and some DIY one, throw in abit of sport there too although I'd skip that section

CDfm wrote: »
    Wait a minute -thats like saying that self help magazines like playboy ain't true and that people buy them for the pictures not the editorial content.

Girls mags -well Im not so sure. Women dress for other women in lots of cases
    so you dont get guys complaining if a guy turns up in the same outfit. Guys are always in dress suits at weddings etc.

In Girls Magazines/ Cosmo etc the models all look like teenage boys androgynous anorexic chic in a very unhealthy way. Photoshop central. So the pics aren't real. If they same pics were in guy magazines -the guys who bought them would be labelled sick and a bit pervy. In fact, a guys magazine with that could be called Sick Puppy.

And you get lots of lifestyle stuff that is a tad anti-men( how to get your man and manipulate him) but labeled empowerment -that if it was in guy magazines would be classed as predatory.

Do women believe that stuff -well some must cos they sell by the crateload.

Which is why I said both genders' magazines are horrible and stupid and sexist towards the gender they're targeted at, nevermind the gender it's objectifying.
    Being perfectly honest I couldnt really care if your insulted, or not if you think its crap tell askmen your feelings. It's written bye P.U.A's so of course its not going to sit well with you, your a woman, your being spoken about in ways you may not like being refered to more as nothing more then a peace of meet and a notch on someones bed board.

Thats not where I'm coming from the fact is there are little snippets of good
    Information in anything anybody writes. Could it be possible that the only reason your saying its crap is because it offends you as modern woman ? or maybe just maybe you know its true and dont like it ?... To be perfectly Frank your coming across as nothing more then patronising which I dont perticualrly like and to be honest if thats your method of winning its a pretty piss poor way about going about it!

No, being offended isn't the reason I'm saying it's crap. I'm saying it's crap because it IS crap. If anyone actually honestly follows their advice and believes the articles they write they've really got a lot of waking up to do in regards to how a woman's mind works and how to treat people. I've read those articles, they're on digg.com all the time, and every single one of them is pure tripe. And no, I'm not just saying that because "what they write is true and I don't like it" (and I was the one being patronizing?).

I'm not trying to "win" and I wasn't being patronizing or insulting. Interesting how defensive you got over it, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Never really got into the lads mags type thing, just got magazines every now and then that interested me e.g mbuk (mountain biking).

I've always felt that the mens magazines were just an excuse to buy softcore porn :-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,193 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

...and of course the 16 year old reading them.

Now you have it!
    OldGoat wrote: »
    ...they cater to the lowest denominator.

...buy a copy of *Woodworkers Weekly or *Pigeon Fancier or *Practicle Barbqueing in Temperate Climates which to me are what magazines should be about, specilist interest.

Now you have it!

I'm not trying to "win" and I wasn't being patronizing or insulting.

I would say you where You amed that post at me, I did find it perticualrly patronising, Im the recipicant of the post it was aimed at me . who are you to tell me what i can and can't find patroniseing?
    Interesting how defensive you got over it, though.

and whats more interesting is that you go and say something like that...

I would say you where You amed that post at me, I did find it perticualrly patronising, Im the recipicant of the post it was aimed at me . who are you to tell me what i can and can't find patroniseing?

and whats more interesting is that you go and say something like that...

It wasn't aimed at you, it was aimed as a general statement in regards to the "quality" of askmen's articles. I wasn't being insulting towards you, nor patronizing. In fact, the only comment I directed towards you at all is "no offense" and "please don't take those as fact." How was that insulting to you? It was insulting to the mags, sure, but they're equally as insulting to the intelligence of both the men who read the mag and the women the articles are about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

250,000 mg to everyone on thread... stat!

16060565704052052540.jpg

really wish this forum would let me embed images >.<

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Will wrote: »
    Never really got into the lads mags type thing, just got magazines every now and then that interested me e.g mbuk (mountain biking).

Dirt was always better:pac:

Me well it has to be Q or Mojo.

But I used to browze Cosmo until it got rid of its problem pages.

It wasn't aimed at you, it was aimed as a general statement in regards to the "quality" of askmen's articles. I wasn't being insulting towards you, nor patronizing. In fact, the only comment I directed towards you at all is "no offense" and "please don't take those as fact." How was that insulting to you? It was insulting to the mags, sure, but they're equally as insulting to the intelligence of both the men who read the mag and the women the articles are about.

Ok so wel throw this B/S to one side. Apolgies...

I don't think your looking at the picture here from a mass market....socity is effectivly dumbing them selves down. I mean kids now adays talk in text form they dont get involved in debating or the likes there life revolves around girls, look at dat glanza, gettin drunk, and genrally not using there brain. I think most people can see this in any local town they care more about how they look then there intelgence.... Then there the play station xbox... how many young children would sit there button bashing for 9 hours a day if they could. how many of them would sit there for 9 hours a day reading a book?

I can happilly garintee that 50% and the rest would happilly sit there playing a gaming console insted of reading a book.

look at how children beheave now adays.

15 years ago it was'nt as bad while i will say there are intelgent kids they dont appear to be half as intlegent as they where back in the 80s or 90s.

Now take india for example theres been a program on channel four about bringing missbeheaved kids to india for a week and schooling them there way or in other countrys. To be honest i was appauled at how these kids where beheaveing in india. kids in india would'nt dare step out of line because they've got values theyve got honar theyve got all the right things that kids should have...

where over here they don't

they certanly dont have loaded magazine. over there it would be classed as very offensive. My point being the likes of loaded and zoo cater for a market. unfortunatly that market is young/men/men who don't really use there brains.

in 2009 we live in a world wear its more important to look good then have brains in lots of peoples eye's.

Are they really insulting there intelgence or are they outlining how moronic we as a country and many others are becoming ?

This comes into more play not just in magazine this comes from our way to sell our selves as nations, its more concerning then the likes of a mag it shows what where growing into as nations.....

Will wrote: »

really wish this forum would let me embed images >.<
    It just ain't gonna happen. I can imagine the quality of pics this thread would be hosting. There would be pigeons, and mountainbikes, cars, DIY'd wooden bar-b-ques.

Do fanzines still exist? Real printed fanzines rather then blogs? The underground/subversive/anarchist feeling that came with kitchen sink fanzienes was wonderful, even if it was just a collection of bad poetery or SciFi short stories.

Ok so wel throw this B/S to one side. Apolgies...

I don't think your looking at the picture here from a mass market....socity is effectivly dumbing them selves down. I mean kids now adays talk in text form they dont get involved in debating or the likes there life revolves around girls, look at dat glanza, gettin drunk, and genrally not using there brain. I think most people can see this in any local town they care more about how they look then there intelgence.... Then there the play station xbox... how many young children would sit there button bashing for 9 hours a day if they could. how many of them would sit there for 9 hours a day reading a book?

I can happilly garintee that 50% and the rest would happilly sit there playing a gaming console insted of reading a book.

look at how children beheave now adays.

15 years ago it was'nt as bad while i will say there are intelgent kids they dont appear to be half as intlegent as they where back in the 80s or 90s.

Now take india for example theres been a program on channel four about bringing missbeheaved kids to india for a week and schooling them there way or in other countrys. To be honest i was appauled at how these kids where beheaveing in india. kids in india would'nt dare step out of line because they've got values theyve got honar theyve got all the right things that kids should have...

where over here they don't

they certanly dont have loaded magazine. over there it would be classed as very offensive. My point being the likes of loaded and zoo cater for a market. unfortunatly that market is young/men/men who don't really use there brains.

in 2009 we live in a world wear its more important to look good then have brains in lots of peoples eye's.

Are they really insulting there intelgence or are they outlining how moronic we as a country and many others are becoming ?

This comes into more play not just in magazine this comes from our way to sell our selves as nations, its more concerning then the likes of a mag it shows what where growing into as nations.....

Hey man, I agree with you, but it's also kind of my point-- if people keep feeding everyone this horseshít, then it just becomes a vicious circle-- ignorance begets ignorance. Maybe if more intelligent, well-rounded stuff started to be produced and popularized.. well, you get the idea.

I have no problem with lad's mags or women's mags being pretty much softcore porn and used only for the pictures; it's the masquerade of being an all-around mag that irritates me. Like, why do they even bother with articles? Just quit the bullshít.

Life would be a lot better if everything was just face value what it is. Bullshít only makes the ignorant more ignorant and doesn't help anything.

• Advertisement

I have no problem with lad's mags or women's mags being pretty much softcore porn and used only for the pictures; it's the masquerade of being an all-around mag that irritates me. Like, why do they even bother with articles? Just quit the bullshít.

But Cosmo is every bit as bad as askmen.com

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/sex-love/tips/

Wasnt there also something on HIV and unprotected sex??

But Cosmo is every bit as bad as askmen.com

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/sex-love/tips/

Wasnt there also something on HIV and unprotected sex??

Did you read any of my posts..?

I said both lads' and girls' mags are equal in their lack of intelligence and tripe spouted. Quite a few times, actually:

"Lad's mags and girl's mags of the same nature are all sexist towards both genders, really not worth paying attention to anything that's advertised to one specific gender over the other except to look at the pretty pictures. Outside of the pictures, they're tripe and worthless."

"Which is why I said both genders' magazines are horrible and stupid and sexist towards the gender they're targeted at, nevermind the gender it's objectifying."

Maybe if more intelligent, well-rounded stuff started to be produced and popularized.. well, you get the idea.
    There are plenty of high-brow magazines but they just don't sell in the same numbers to the target audience that the Lads mags aim at. It is their market. The boys want their titillation and the magazines supply it as part of their package of articles and that gives them a market edge.
    Oh you can't blithly dismiss the articles in the magazines. Take as an example Playboy, tits&ass magazine for decades, pinnnicle of the genre if you will. A quick check of it's history will see stories penned by the likes of Ian Flemming, Arthur C Clark, Vladimir Nabokov, P.G.Woodhouse and Margaret Atwood to mention but a few - (Source). Even more imppresive is the list of interviews (Source) that they have carried out and the interviews are more substantial then the "Whats your starsign" innanaties of most interviewers of popular media.

You realise that I'm gonna have to buy a few of these now just to see how bad they have become since I last read a copy of playboy. :(
    Hand on heart I can say I've never read FHM, nuts, zoo or any of the other new crop of 'lads' mags.

"Lad's mags and girl's mags of the same nature are all sexist towards both genders, really not worth paying attention to anything that's advertised to one specific gender over the other except to look at the pretty pictures. Outside of the pictures, they're tripe and worthless."

But a lads mag wouldnt reproduce an image of gorgeous Fillipa Hamilton Photoshoped to look like a well dressed stick

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beauty/was-the-photoshopped-ralph-lauren-model-fired-for-being-overweight-525248/

And the ever decreasing Faith Hill outed by Jezebel

http://jezebel.com/278919/heres-our-winner-redbook-shatters-our-faith-in-well-not-publishing-but-maybe-god
    "Which is why I said both genders' magazines are horrible and stupid and sexist towards the gender they're targeted at, nevermind the gender it's objectifying."

Lads mags are not pushing cartoon images and are fairly tongue in cheek.

I haven't gone down a soup diet yet to watch the pounds peel off

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/advice/health/The-South-Beach-Diet-Cosmo-Style

I just thnk women take there mags a lot more seriously than guys do.

Like I cant imagine a size zero suit well would Old Goat buy a size zero suit. I think not.

But a lads mag wouldnt reproduce an image of gorgeous Fillipa Hamilton Photoshoped to look like a well dressed stick

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beauty/was-the-photoshopped-ralph-lauren-model-fired-for-being-overweight-525248/

And the ever decreasing Faith Hill outed by Jezebel

http://jezebel.com/278919/heres-our-winner-redbook-shatters-our-faith-in-well-not-publishing-but-maybe-god

Lads mags are not pushing cartoon images and are fairly tongue in cheek.

I haven't gone down a soup diet yet to watch the pounds peel off

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/advice/health/The-South-Beach-Diet-Cosmo-Style

I just thnk women take there mags a lot more seriously than guys do.

Like I cant imagine a size zero suit well would Old Goat buy a size zero suit. I think not.

I think you're misunderstanding..

I don't know how to make this clear, maybe it only makes sense in my messed up head, but, here goes:

Lads mags and girls mags are the same thing. They give you eye candy and bullshít content that should never be taken seriously, but unfortunately is taken seriously by some of the ignorant masses.

I not once said girls mags were better. Or that lads mags were worse. I said they're equal insofar as they're insulting to both the gender they're advertising to and the gender they're objectifying.

I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at as I'm agreeing with you and have held the same point of view consistently throughout the thread..? The only discrepancy I have is that you think women take their mags more seriously-- I'm pretty sure there's an equal amount of ignorance on both sides of the gender border, in fairness.

As for your Filipa Hamilton comment, no, they don't have her stick thin, but they'd probably photoshop her to have massive tits and a perfect tummy, is it really so different? Photoshopping is photoshopping is photoshopping, at the end of the day.

• Advertisement

I think you're misunderstanding..

I don't know how to make this clear, maybe it only makes sense in my messed up head, but, here goes:
    I know you disagree with the content of both genres
    Lads mags and girls mags are the same thing. They give you eye candy and bullshít content that should never be taken seriously, but unfortunately is taken seriously by some of the ignorant masses.
    I not once said girls mags were better. Or that lads mags were worse. I said they're equal insofar as they're insulting to both the gender they're advertising to and the gender they're objectifying.

Guys aren't objectified in lads or girls mags and lad mags dont sell life style in the same way.I cant imagine saying a guy is being objectified. It wouldnt cross my mind.

I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at as I'm agreeing with you and have held the same point of view consistently throughout the thread..? The only discrepancy I have is that you think women take their mags more seriously-- I'm pretty sure there's an equal amount of ignorance on both sides of the gender border, in fairness.

I dont know about that
    As for your Filipa Hamilton comment, no, they don't have her stick thin, but they'd probably photoshop her to have massive tits and a perfect tummy, is it really so different? Photoshopping is photoshopping is photoshopping, at the end of the day.

Fillipa Hamilton is gorgeous without being photoshopped. She is photoshopped for a womens audience. Kate Moss is hardly lads mag fodder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

In fairness, I have read Porn mags with more substance than FHM, Zoo, etc..

Playboy has better advice than these things.

I don't know why people read them.

I had a look at AskMen.com and I have to say the advice is bull**** in our setting.

It might work in California or something but trying to use those lines on Irish girls wouldn't work. It really sucks!!!

So in short, this crap really isn't for me.

Then again I had access to pron from a very early age so maybe that's the difference?

In fairness, I have read Porn mags with more substance than FHM, Zoo, etc..

Playboy has better advice than these things.

I don't know why people read them.

I had a look at AskMen.com and I have to say the advice is bull**** in our setting.

Exactly, lads magazines dont really have substance or credibility. THey are entertainment.

The editorial content of Playboy or Rolling Stone certainly was quite high.

Ask.Men.Com I wouldnt rate as you give a magazine more cred than an ezine which is like TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

there are differing levels of lads mags out there, as some people have pointed out.

You've got GQ and Esquire, aiming for a higher intelligence level reader, high fashion, big bucks, politics etc. Editorially, trying to raise the bar. Whether they always do or not is another question. As Fajitas pointed out also, some fantastic photography.

Then you've got your FHM, which is imho trying to reach a middle ground. Boobs and bums along with some higher quality content. Fairly decent lifestyle and fashion sections added in with a bit of brainlessness. Recently been overhauled in a big way, to sit above the "lowest common denominator" stuff.

which is like the Loaded, Zoo, Nuts type stuff, which are basically mindless trash. While on my Ibizian sojurn, such magazines were bought and seriously, I'd read the back of a matchbox before going near them again. Even on the beach, toasting in the sunshine, they were muck.

Do I buy any of the above. Well FHM fairly regularly, mainly because I like pictures of hot girls, I like to switch off my brain every now and again, and well, in the bath or on the throne it makes good light reading.

GQ or Esquire are my travelling mags. I spend a lot of time on the road or on airports, so they'll get you through a crappy overnight in a hotel or a few hours of a flight. I only wish I could afford the gear they write about though :(

Haven't read or seen a playboy in years, but I know it's more than the obvious.

To my mind, if you take this things as a bible, then, thats pretty lame. If you see them for what they are, and don't take things too seriously then sure what harm.

Maybe a gap exists in the market for a new magazine, aimed at the modern gentleman. Someone who isn't hugely flush with cash, but wants to read a stylish, uncluttered lifestyle magazine, without fart jokes and beer swilling competitions. Obviously, every edition MUST contain Megan Fox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Warfi

I used to read FHM years ago if I happened to find it lying around. I found that it gave me an insight into how men think that I wouldn't have had beforehand.
    I passed over the naked pics (I don't think I was part of their key demographic :D), but I found the articles very funny and self deprecating. Which gave me a good idea of where most men are coming from e.g. slagging matches aren't taken seriously.

The articles about gadgets and so on, however, did give me the impression that men are fascinated by shiny new things that supposedly make your life easier (just like the gadgets section they have on Something for the Weekend on TV, I automatically assume that section is aimed at men). I wouldn't think any less of a man if he liked 'useless' (I admit I think they're useless :eek:) gadgets though, just as I wouldn't like a man to think the less of me for my quirks or habits.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

cruizer101 wrote: »
    I'd actually like to see some of these topics covered in your typical mens magazine.
    Why not put in a DIY section and a proper one not one of those 10 ways to be a proper man, where it just tells you things without telling how.

I find there is a gap between lads mags and more special interest magazines.
    Ideally I want a mix of Men Health, Time, National Geographic, Empire, Top Gear, New Scientist, and some DIY one, throw in abit of sport there too although I'd skip that section

I have tried plenty of magazines but the magazines out there are too specific so you end up buying what your in the mood to read about. For exapmple I buy 4-4-2 if I want to read football or I buy Mens Fitness if I want to read about exercise.

Thats a good sugestion you make. I would buy a magazine like that. Thats the type of magazine you could buy every month.

I was looking up something in the internet and came accross this gem on the decline on sales of mens magazines.

I came accross this beut
    Lads' mag sales have been plummeting for a while now, and it's hard to mourn the losses. The mistake would be to think that the decline of these magazines reflects a decline in misogyny. It's likely readers are migrating online, where they can find much more hardcore material, much more cheaply.http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/apr/04/maxim-lads-magazines-sexism-misogyny

Now misogyny is a hatred of women whereas lads mags are the opposite. So I dont know what asylum this lady escaped from.

I would put it down to content really. You know -I have a 19 year old son and its like me producing a magazine for his age group based on a market demographic. Thats where I feel lads mags fall down.

Womens mags are very much produced by contemperaries of the women they serve. Guy mags are not.

The picture element -well it wouldnt bother me but if the content is puerile and the pics are saucy Benny Hill style who wants to know.

Lots of womens magazines grew out of housekeeping mags and the sucessful ones have been around -some for a century or more.

Maybe if lads mags were more like DaveTV.

I wouldnt buy a lads mag -even at an airport. I would want a more genuine read and the pics well ...... now if the were in the Sunday Times Magazine.............. ( memo to self - I shall write to The Times)

Maybe a gap exists in the market for a new magazine, aimed at the modern gentleman. Someone who isn't hugely flush with cash, but wants to read a stylish, uncluttered lifestyle magazine, without fart jokes and beer swilling competitions. Obviously, every edition MUST contain Megan Fox

While it'd be a fantastic idea, it just wouldn't work out in the long run, unfortunately. The Magazine industry is a hard one to crack, and an even harder one to keep going in :(

To be honest, that's why a lot of publications are moving to being an online only presence, which has it's pro's and con's.
    Maybe if lads mags were more like DaveTV.

I don't think I could handle Top Gear on every page... :)

Fajitas! wrote: »
    While it'd be a fantastic idea, it just wouldn't work out in the long run, unfortunately. The Magazine industry is a hard one to crack, and an even harder one to keep going in :(

Whats this with women wearing clothes in Magazines - I just don't get it.:D

I don't think I could handle Top Gear on every page... :)

LOL - But at least we would have no green issues.

Thinks article for a girl section - Flatulence - What every girl should know:pac:

Fajitas! wrote: »
    To be honest, that's why a lot of publications are moving to being an online only presence, which has it's pro's and con's.

Actually, what I meant to add to this is; If it's going to be an online publication, then costs are going to have to be at a minimum, it's very difficult to get people to sign up to online mags, never mind pay for them... never mind something completely new!
    But at least we would have no green issues.

Thankfully :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement